Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

821 - 840 of 843 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 X 4eat, Bilstein B6/Swift Springs, STI 22mm rear swaybar, '06 WRX brakes.
106 Posts
Sure will do tomorrow- it’s still a pretty new setup so may settle a teensy bit more, but I can’t be sure. Ride is very comfortable, it simply feels like a better version of stock (stays much more composed over bumps in corners, less body roll, less dive under braking, much less rebound over expansion joints and dips with nice compression to absorb smoothly). Obviously some of that is the dampers but if you can set yours to where you like I think you’ll be happy. It’s not over sprung nor is it too low. Personally I think a road car should be good on the street; to me that means fast through corners plus deals well with potholes, speed bumps, steep driveways etc...

Reactions: bhardy

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT Auto
136 Posts
Thank you for the description and couldn't agree more about the handling through corners and over standard road conditions. Looking forward to seeing the photos!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 X 4eat, Bilstein B6/Swift Springs, STI 22mm rear swaybar, '06 WRX brakes.
106 Posts
Cars on a slight incline (my street is a little hill). Tried to get pics that show clearance but it’s cold this morning. Sorry I know the angle is off a bit on the tape measure shots but holding it in one hand with the phone in the other was tricky to get straight on...

Let me know if you want anything specific. Measurements to wheel well are from center of hub. Edit- I missed it on second wheel, was an inch too low from center, sorry was hard holding phone as far as I could while keeping the the tape straight, ha. So I think it’s about 16” from center to wheel arch front, 16.5 rear. Gotta swap to my Maine plates today...

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,752 Posts
No spacers, no adjustment kit. Only 19mm RSB. (Shoulda purchased the 20mm... but oh well)

Also running standard length RB mudflaps, not the shorties.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No spacers or kit, car is at factory alignment specs. Really fun destroying high HP cars through the turns. Oddly they always have to blow by me in the straight in a show of “driver skill”, because it’s really tricky moving your foot :D.

Reactions: bhardy

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
388 Posts
Pedder Springs on Bilstein B6 Struts/shocks. Photo was taken just after install. View attachment 532681
Very nice. I am on the market to either replace my 15 XT strut with Bilstein B6 with existing Mann lowering springs or go the Coilover route with HKS Coilovers. May ask the distance from Hub to the fender the distance? is it 16 inches? I rather buy the Bilstein but I want do not want to lose the drop the Mann Lowering springs is giving to my car. Nice ride

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
388 Posts
I just did the swifts as part of a suspension refresh; ride is great on B6 dampers. The forester is my winter car/grocery getter for when the M5 goes into storage, so I want it to stay practical. I don’t think the drop is too severe to limit you for anything on the road, the car has a lot of ground clearance on factory setup.

View attachment 544491
Unless you go silly on the spring rates and slam the car with coil-overs, big sway bars are gonna impact your ride quality a lot more than a slightly stiffer spring (generate a lot of lateral motion on any bumps that don’t hit both wheels perfectly, result is side to side neck snap). Also plenty of sidewall helps. If you want factory ride height stick with stock.
The subframe looks brand new. Did you replace it? Question? Are swift sping lowering springs? I have Mann and about to pull the trigger on the Bilstein. Thank you for all the content.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes I replaced the entire thing (feel free to read or pass on long winded reason at end). The swifts are supposed to drop the car 1.6” I didn’t measure before and after but it sits a lot nicer, definitely corners better, and is no where near low enough to impact my daily use at all, still tons of ground clearance. Distance from center hub to fender lip is 16”. The lower perch on the Bilstein may be in a slightly different spot than the stocks so that could effect ride height, I didn’t compare side to side.

Long story as to why all new- Lot of back and forth as to whether I should- I was given a 2010 pzev model with 35k on it that sat for loooooong periods of time and had a severely rusted rear subframe. All the suspension work ran me 6.5 grand, (all new rear subframe, all bushings, wheel bearings, front control arms, springs and dampers, endlinks, all the little bits, etc) yeeeouch. I have 3 kids and a full time job, no way to find the time for a project like that, so my mechanic really really likes me now... But that was all the car needed, so I saw it as buying a 35k mile car for under 7k and said why not. The rest of the car is fundamentally pristine. I don’t need this car to be fast, but I want to make it handle well. I just put some 18x8 oz alleggriata wheels on it and am very happy with how it behaves. Now I have bought the 08 wrx brakes and those are going in next week. And I’m waiting to install the TS front bumper I had shipped from Japan- man it’s a slippery slope, this was supposed to be my keep it simple don’t worry about it car. Ha.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
388 Posts
Yes I replaced the entire thing (feel free to read or pass on long winded reason at end). The swifts are supposed to drop the car 1.6” I didn’t measure before and after but it sits a lot nicer, definitely corners better, and is no where near low enough to impact my daily use at all, still tons of ground clearance. Distance from center hub to fender lip is 16”. The lower perch on the Bilstein may be in a slightly different spot than the stocks so that could effect ride height, I didn’t compare side to side.

Long story as to why all new- Lot of back and forth as to whether I should- I was given a 2010 pzev model with 35k on it that sat for loooooong periods of time and had a severely rusted rear subframe. All the suspension work ran me 6.5 grand, (all new rear subframe, all bushings, wheel bearings, front control arms, springs and dampers, endlinks, all the little bits, etc) yeeeouch. I have 3 kids and a full time job, no way to find the time for a project like that, so my mechanic really really likes me now... But that was all the car needed, so I saw it as buying a 35k mile car for under 7k and said why not. The rest of the car is fundamentally pristine. I don’t need this car to be fast, but I want to make it handle well. I just put some 18x8 oz alleggriata wheels on it and am very happy with how it behaves. Now I have bought the 08 wrx brakes and those are going in next week. And I’m waiting to install the TS front bumper I had shipped from Japan- man it’s a slippery slope, this was supposed to be my keep it simple don’t worry about it car. Ha.
Thank you for the summary. Looking forward to seeing the TS front bumper. Thank you

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not gonna be anytime soon evidently, gonna have to wait for the spring. Drivers in Maine are terrible.

Last thing I need is some huge bro-dozer flying through the snow who forgets he can’t stop as well as get going to whack the front cover, so in the basement it sits for a while...

·
Registered
Subaru Forester 2009 (Euro Version) 2.0L DOHC NA & LPG EJ204LVZMB | SH5AL2S
5 Posts
Hey guys I would like to share you all a test I did today where I use the Tein coil springs (SKS94-G1B00) ... Not what It was supposed to happen but by now I will have to continue with this set up.

I have a Forester 09 Euro version (AT) EJ204 (petrol) SH5AL2S which I have found it is extremely diferent in the suspension being wider than the SH5 USDM. Starting for the fact that the CV joint from the USDM with complete shaft is half an inch from the original that my car has...mehhh... So I have a pair of them at a room taking some beers and my turns getting me crazy, but I already found a FEBEST CV joint that goes with my model... My struts are KYB (the ones by spec that goes on this model)... I was having some coil spring issues where the back drops drastically and the front were like the car goes to launch to the moon (literally) with the original springs from the car... So I decide to drop it a bit and bought the Tein because I wasn't able to find the Tanabe that are shown on the thread...today we put them and the result was a better position in the car, it looks very straight from back to front but the height is taller than they were before...mehhhh!!!! I will post a picture for you guys to see them... But having a reference with the Tein spring coils I would like to ask you guys with expertise on this topic, which will be the coil springs that will feed my needs? I would like the car to get lowered with springs, I tried before coilovers (maxspeeding rods) and had not a bad experience but my wife did not like them, and started to have and heard some noise which were coming from the springs that were like rubbing with some metal, in order to not hear my wife talking again and again I just change it 😅 ... I am from Panamá country, here is hot, the streets are crazy and Saks but still drivable...
Any suggestions will be really helpful and appreciated...

(My wife like them but... It's to high for me)
20210205_162758.jpg

Thanks guys for taking the time reading this Bible!
Great post by the way!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been very happy with the Swift springs. Ride is very good, no worries on potholes and bumps.

Reactions: CLe4R

·
Registered
2003 Forester
129 Posts
Got the WRX Tein Street Basis coilovers finally installed with a bunch of subframe work and it sits waaaaaaaaay too low for my liking. This is with the coilovers set to max height. I've got some 3" lift spacers coming in the mail and I'll adjust from there. This is with newer STi/WRX stamped steel upper control arms and the factory lift kit removed front and rear.

I'm still messing with tire height to go on the RPF1's. Was going to go 245/45/17 but I think those are going to be too short. Those stock wheels have 215/60/17 snows so are a little taller than stock and look too tall in it's lowered state. No rubbing though.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
129 Posts
Got the lift kit delivered and installed last night. Adjusted the coilovers to around halfway in the front and slightly higher than halfway in the rear. Much happier with how it sits. Now to just get the RPF1's on.

Used this kit

Shipping was fast enough. The fronts fit fine but on the rears I has to open up the holes for the strut mount bolts by two drill bit sizes. Overall quality was nice.

821 - 840 of 843 Posts