Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

801 - 820 of 827 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
37 Posts
Get new nuts for the ends. That's all you'll need. I installed my bars just after Galager did.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
37 Posts
So, here's my current suspension setup:
Swift Sport springs (~1.6" drop) w/ Tein spring silencers
Stock struts
19mm STi rear sway bar with Energy Suspension Black Poly bushings + RalliTek endlinks
Stock front sway bar with Energy Suspension Black Poly bushings+MOOG endlinks
KYB front strut mounts (because I f*cked up one of my studs and had to replace them)
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Perrin Steering Dampener lockout
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bars

**Upcoming stuff: Energy suspension control arm bushings front and rear. My rubber is completely SHOT. However, since this XT has been a Central TX car it's whole life, there's zero rust, so that's pretty pleasant to wrench on.
Eventually, I'll need/want new struts, too.

This is a daily driver, and she has 156,000 miles, so I'm mainly refreshing the driving feel (she'll never, ever, be tracked). I love a comfortable, responsive wagon that is a little bit of a sleeper. Stock wheels, and all-season tires.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
How you like those bars? Between those and the Bilsteins I’m in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
37 Posts
How you like those bars? Between those and the Bilsteins I’m in heaven.
I put them on at the same time as the springs, and the effect was dramatic ( I had the rear sway bar, bushings, and endlinks already).
the Cusco bars made the front end steering more of a "yaw" than a "roll" situation. I'm excited about the LCA bushings, because as I strengthened the other parts of my suspension, the beatass rubber in the LCAs is making a horrid clunking noise. Can't wait to get rid of those mushy cracked bushings.

I recommend the Whiteline RCA kit, even though it's a little pricey... I can tell the grip at the tires is better with the geometry in the right place. No more singing around corners at low speed.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
2 Posts
Hi! I’m new around here...

Here’s my SH Forester on Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with 8k springs. It’s almost a 4” drop. The car is a 2011 NA with the 5M.

I inherited it from the wife when she got a new car. The 2015 Transit Connect parked behind the Forester is mine also.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Can anyone help? I’m trying to slip 3/8” spacers on to my rear shock tops without removing the shocks completely. I removed the rear sway bar, but can’t get the assembly to drop at all without stepping on the hub. Of course I can’t do anything while I’m stepping on it. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,358 Posts
I do not recommend using fire. It gets messy. :p

But if everything is undone up top, it should want to drop all by itself.

If you can't muscled it down, your next step is undoing that bottom bolt.... :cautious:

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT Auto
114 Posts
So, here's my current suspension setup:
Swift Sport springs (~1.6" drop) w/ Tein spring silencers
Stock struts
19mm STi rear sway bar with Energy Suspension Black Poly bushings + RalliTek endlinks
Stock front sway bar with Energy Suspension Black Poly bushings+MOOG endlinks
KYB front strut mounts (because I f*cked up one of my studs and had to replace them)
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Perrin Steering Dampener lockout
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bars

**Upcoming stuff: Energy suspension control arm bushings front and rear. My rubber is completely SHOT. However, since this XT has been a Central TX car it's whole life, there's zero rust, so that's pretty pleasant to wrench on.
Eventually, I'll need/want new struts, too.

This is a daily driver, and she has 156,000 miles, so I'm mainly refreshing the driving feel (she'll never, ever, be tracked). I love a comfortable, responsive wagon that is a little bit of a sleeper. Stock wheels, and all-season tires. View attachment 529025
@CLe4R Do you still have the stock rear lower control arms installed or did you upgrade to an adjustable LCA when you installed the Swifts?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
37 Posts
@CLe4R Do you still have the stock rear lower control arms installed or did you upgrade to an adjustable LCA when you installed the Swifts?
Stock LCAs. The Swifts are a pretty mild drop (about 1.6") and I'm on Bilstein B6 shocks now, so that may even have been reduced a little (the stock shocks were completely hosed). It doesn't mess with geometry too badly in the rear, although I used the Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment kit in the front for two reasons - one, to accommodate the change in geometry, and two, my ball joints were both shot. I'm pretty happy I did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are the stock spring rates for 09-13 Foresters? I've been searching for awhile and haven't found anything. Lots of info on WRX, Impreza, and earlier Forester spring rates, but nothing on the SH.

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,358 Posts
It's on here somewhere in the suspension section...

Think I may have it on my computer somewhere too.

Currently away from the latter.

C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a new strut option I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. Looks like Tein started selling these in 2019.
Tein EnduraPro Plus. 16-way adjustable struts. (There is also Tein EnduraPro Single, which are cheaper and not adjustable)
Description:
These are the part #'s for front and rears:
VSS94-B1MS2-R
VSS94-B1MS2-L
VSS95-B1MS2 (x 2)

Many vendors carry them. I bought them at the best price I could find, which was only $491/set! Much cheaper than the only other SH-specific adjustable struts I know of, the Cusco Touring A at $656-829/set. If there were SH-specific Koni Sports available, I would have bought those as I trust them from running many sets on various street and autocross cars over the years.

Now I'm trying to decide on what springs to get for my new daily driver / family car, a 2010 2.5X Premium. With the better damping and adjustability that these Teins should provide, I'd probably be happy with the stock springs along with a 19mm rear sway bar. But I wouldn't mind a slight increase in spring rate and a slight drop to make it somewhat more car-like in feel. I don't want to give up too much comfort or ground clearance, though. A 1" drop would be perfect. Trying not to go as low as the standard 1.5"+ per Pedders or Swift 4F908 springs.

The older Swift model springs that lower 0.8" might be ideal for me if I could find a set.

I never did find any mention of actual stock spring rates for 09-Foresters, other than someone thought they were in the 180-200 range, which sounds about right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did the swifts as part of a suspension refresh, ride is great on B6 dampers. The forester is my winter car/grocery getter for when the M5 goes into storage, so I want it to stay practical. I don’t think the drop is too severe to limit you for anything on road, car has a lot of ground clearance on factory setup.

Unless you go silly on the spring rates and slam the car with coil overs, big sway bars are gonna impact your ride quality a lot more than a slightly stiffer spring (generate a lot of lateral motion on any bumps that don’t hit both wheels perfectly, result is side to side neck snap). Also plenty of sidewall helps. If you want factory ride height stick with stock.

801 - 820 of 827 Posts