Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm Looking for some thoughts on what is going on here.
I’ve got a 2010 Subaru Forester with an automatic transmission. It has an aweful bang/clunk noise whenever it is moving forward or reverse. The noise is coupled with a jerk and stutter. I am afraid to drive it any faster than idle.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what I am thinking and hoping. I have just never had one be so bad it caused the car to jerk and buck like that.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,211 Posts
I am hoping the same as well. The 4EAT transmission is bullet proof, and unless you drive with the Front and rear differential without oil those rarely ever give any issues as well.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
107 Posts
While your under the car checking it out, grab the drive shaft(s) the twist back and forth.
Shouldnt move much maybe 1/2" or so. If it moves a lot and clunks, could be U Joints.
ps car should be in neutral with emerg brake on.

·
Administrator
17,738 Posts
G'day 7 Welcome @Gsully12
Has any work been performed on the vehicle recently? As Pugetpower suggests above, check the propeller shafts and also check the drive shaft connections to the front and rear diff to make sure they have not slipped outwards.
Also could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least; thanks. This thread could be closed if this is not completed. For detail instructions pls refer: Your forum "Public Profile" - how to fill this...
Note that any threads / posts you create could be removed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While your under the car checking it out, grab the drive shaft(s) the twist back and forth.
Shouldnt move much maybe 1/2" or so. If it moves a lot and clunks, could be U Joints.
ps car should be in neutral with emerg brake on.
I am hopefully going to get into it a little bit today. I will make sure to check all of the drive shafts. A 1/2" of play would be close to acceptable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G'day 7 Welcome @Gsully12
Has any work been performed on the vehicle recently? As Pugetpower suggests above, check the propeller shafts and also check the drive shaft connections to the front and rear diff to make sure they have not slipped outwards.
Also could you please complete your profile; vehicle details at least; thanks. This thread could be closed if this is not completed. For detail instructions pls refer: Your forum "Public Profile" - how to fill this...
Note that any threads / posts you create could be removed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!
Thank you! I will try and complete the profile today.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
925 Posts
That’s what I am thinking and hoping. I have just never had one be so bad it caused the car to jerk and buck like that.
CV failures I've experienced, observed have always been clicking sounds during low speed (parking lot) turns, never in a straight line like yours. I'd lift car so wheels are free and go down try to twist and move every drive train / suspension part, or maybe drive to your tire store (all of them also do suspension work) and ask them for likely free evaluation.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
430 Posts
Hmmm, did notice the exhaust bouncing at the same time as the clunk... As others have said, try finding the slack in the drive shaft or axels.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
107 Posts
I am hopefully going to get into it a little bit today. I will make sure to check all of the drive shafts. A 1/2" of play would be close to acceptable?
Just trying to eliminate the U Joints as the cause of this very bad noise. When they fail, the needle bearings dry up and wear causing excess play up to the point that
the bearings start falling out of the cups. To get to that point, you would hearing squeaking/clunking getting louder and louder over weeks or more everytime you put it into gear.
You might get 1/4 revolution of the drive shaft at that point. Worst case scenario, one end of shaft drops on the pavement hits a curb or something and the car pogos in the air.
Just a little drama.
FYI.... the higher the vehicle is raised/lifted, the more the U Joints are working as opposed to a lowered car where the U Joints are mostly just spinning and not "twisting".

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
430 Posts
DITTO ;-)
At the cat or resonator seems to be where its bouncing the most when you hear the clunk. Could just be the distances from the hangars that let make that spot look the worst. Tried to watch the driveshaft as I heard the clunk, but not sure its possible to get a good view.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
387 Posts
At the cat or resonator seems to be where its bouncing the most when you hear the clunk.
That area is also moving when the vehicle is shifted into gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts