Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been getting some condensation in the rear light assembly, as others have stated here..and seems that the drivers side mirror image is distorted...albeit only when very cold..which is wierd

brought it in today for service

they are replacing the entire rear light assembly and mirror..no charge

other than that ...great truck

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium
22 Posts
The drivers side mirror distortion is a carry over problem from 09. My dealer says the mirror glass has not been revised since I complained about it approx. 1 year ago. I asked about it again just a week ago and they assured me it hadn't been fixed. If you get the new mirror glass and it resolves the problem, I'd be interested to hear it. Means I can go bug my dealer about it again.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
The drivers side mirror distortion is a carry over problem from 09. My dealer says the mirror glass has not been revised since I complained about it approx. 1 year ago. I asked about it again just a week ago and they assured me it hadn't been fixed. If you get the new mirror glass and it resolves the problem, I'd be interested to hear it. Means I can go bug my dealer about it again.
I'm glad this was brought up. I noticed the problem on my MY10 a month ago but forgot to ask about it. I'm going for a new mirror ASAP. I have never heard of a distorted sideview mirror before...how thin is this glass?

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll let you know how the mirror works out.....my guess is two weeks till they call me saying they got the parts

until then its still a great ride

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
There have been many posts here about the distorted mirror. Mine was replaced but no change. The dealer offered to exchange mirrors with another Forester in stock but they were all that way. This winter I talked to the new head service guy and he had not heard of the problem. He promised to check with Subaru a month ago but I have not heard back. Maybe we should submit this to NHTSA. Kinda tough backing up at night with the window tint and relying on a fun house mirror. Other cold weather issues are a balky drivers side window and a hard to latch tailgate. In the heated dealership they could not duplicate the problems so they went uncorrected.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
I'll second the distorted drivers side mirror. I thought it was just me not looking out of my bi-focals correctly. I was shocked to see the wavey mirror, looked like a super cheap replacement mirror you'd pick up at the auto store. I'm making a list of things I want the dealer to correct when I bring it in for it's first oil change. The first being the door baffle rattles that everyone seems to get, the second is the side mirror issue.
Gee, 4 days of ownership /180 miles and already two fixes on my list. Hope that's the last of them.

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no rattles for me....but two major issues on a new truck is enough

to be continued

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
There have been many posts here about the distorted mirror. Mine was replaced but no change. The dealer offered to exchange mirrors with another Forester in stock but they were all that way. This winter I talked to the new head service guy and he had not heard of the problem. He promised to check with Subaru a month ago but I have not heard back. Maybe we should submit this to NHTSA. Kinda tough backing up at night with the window tint and relying on a fun house mirror. Other cold weather issues are a balky drivers side window and a hard to latch tailgate. In the heated dealership they could not duplicate the problems so they went uncorrected.
I'll second the distorted drivers side mirror. I thought it was just me not looking out of my bi-focals correctly. I was shocked to see the wavey mirror, looked like a super cheap replacement mirror you'd pick up at the auto store. I'm making a list of things I want the dealer to correct when I bring it in for it's first oil change. The first being the door baffle rattles that everyone seems to get, the second is the side mirror issue.
Gee, 4 days of ownership /180 miles and already two fixes on my list. Hope that's the last of them.
THIRD here. Top right corner of mirror is terrible wavy. Just like drfine above I brought it to the dealer, who checked and could not see it, said he would notify Subaru....that was 4 days ago, so we'll see what happens. I'll follow up in a week or two. I don't know much about the NHTSA, but if this is a recall safety issue someone has to initiate action. Ideas?
If they can't fix it I'll go to a good glass shop and have a template shape mirror made and contact cement it to the original. Mine's not heated, so that would work fine. This is absurd to have such a problem....where did they buy their glass ... from a carnival fun house???

Bob

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id hardly call either one of these a major issue..

Nice car by the way. :Banane35::Banane35:
any issue i can't fix on my own is major, esp. on a new truck

thanks for liking my pic...it's still a very sweat ride despite the issues

i hope thre dealer can fix them both:Banane35:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I'm not sure if it is due to a week of colder weather in CT, or my need to back into a longer driveway to my basement garage, but the mirror looks worse than before. Honestly, sometimes my stomach gets a little woosey whan concentrating on the mirror whild backing between the walls of my driveway. This thing has got to be fixed. It's not like mirrored glass was just invented or anything......using good mirror glass doesn't require rocket science!!! I'll post how this turns out.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today and they had contacted Subaru about it without reply. I asked them to order a mirror glass in the mean time and they are. Will report on how that works out. Suppopsedly held on by an adhesive backing!

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally got a call from the dealer/repair shop....the light assembly is in and a new mirror

we will see when i bring it in on sat.

to be continued:Banane08:

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some info re: the condensation in the light assembly: TSB 07-59-07 Dew Formation Inside Exterior Lamps
i had seen this before..but it says

The dew formation is temporary and will disappear when the temperature rises or when the lights are turned on for a while.
This is most noticeable in the late fall and early spring.

however-mine does not disappear when the lights are turned on for a while

also this is feb. in the NE and the moisture appears...not late fall/early spring.

lets see what the new assembly does..the dealer said it wouldn't cost me a penny to replace?.....same with the mirror

thanks for the info..love your avatar

·
Registered
2010 Forester
5 Posts
Do you have an update on the mirror for us?

I just picked up my Forester on Wednesday and I have the same issue (mirror distortion in the top quarter) along with when I drive over 50 mph the mirror vibrates.

I checked with the NHTSF and it appears as though no complaints have been filed on the side mirror. If this is a commonplace problem and they do not have a fix for it yet, surely it would make sense to file complaints so that they are put under pressure.

:huh:

·
Registered
2010 forester limited
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all is fine here so far....guess i got a good piece of glass....

try again?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I'm having new glass installed on the 25th or so. Think I'll stop by the dealer earlier and see if the mirror is flat before meeting an appointment time to have defective glass installed. I'll report what I find here.

Glass does bend somewhat, so it may be the installed glass that becomes the problem.

If Subaru does not want to acknowledge this defect, I think complaints are in order. I'm not sure it would ever cause an accident other than having me upchuck while backing 80' into my driveway and garage!!!!!:icon_frown:

Bob

·
Registered
2010 Forester
5 Posts
Thank you for the update. I am going to the dealer on Monday.

I picked up my brand new Forester on Wednesday (Feb 17, 2010) from the dealer and the first couple of days I thought my eyes were having issues. Then I found this forum and realized it is not me but the glass.

I am definitely going to have it fixed as I get woozy when I look into the mirror and the vibrating effect at over 50 mph is definitely not helping either...

So glad your mirror was fixed! :Banane17:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts