Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as per the link below, I came across these most amazing looking pedals for the JDM 2010 Impreza STi. I had to have them and looks like I'm the first to attempt to fit them on an SG. Quite possibly the first set sold in North America period. They are a special order item and were not stocked at the dealership. Getting them was not an issue.

Part # C8110FG010 (MANUAL Pedal set, autobox guys make sure you order the auto set)

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ent-2010-legacy-sti-07-forester-pedals-61840/

Turns out you can buy these puppies locally, only the Dead pedal is not available. They are listed under the 2010 Legacy accesories catelog, go figure. The price is very reasonable, about $125. I should clarify, its reasonable in the US, not so much in Canada. They wanted nearly $250 for the same parts and with our $ nearly equal to the US $ that's a hella difference.

So I called up Jackie @ Annapolis (who rocks cause she found it without me having a part number) and ordered a set. They are supposed to fit the 2010 Legacy & Forester. Given that the part # for the brake/clutch plastic covers are the same as my 07 I figured it would all fit just fine. And it did, sort of.

First off, I love these 100x more than the traditional STi pedals with the Pink inserts. While they're still cool these are, well , better. Had the 2010 set not existed I'd have bought the pink ones in a heartbeat. I find the black more subtle, it still looks great but doesn't poke you in the eye yet retains the Pink STi logo.

Now this is what makes them UBER COOL. While they still have the raised black rubber dots for traction, on both the brake & clutch pedal (exactly the same) they have highly textured rubber bases so your feet won't slip. The base rubber on the accelerator pedal is smooth. These are so nice you could mount the set in a picture frame on the wall as art.

Now here's where the trouble started. The clutch/brake pedal install went smoothly as expected. The accelerator pedal install gave me some trouble. Its held on by a clip at top and a pin that runs across the back of the original pedal in the middle. While it all bolts up nicely the trouble is, there is a huge gap on the lower half of the pedal. What this means is: when you push the gas the pedal cover would rock downwards then move the accelerator pedal itself, not good. This also caused the mounting location for the center pin to strike the carpet bottom before the pedals was fully depressed. Unless I did somethign stupid wrong it does appear there's a slight difference in pedals between the 03-08 to 09+ Forester. Perhaps the arm of the accelerator is thicker. I'll have a look at my buddies 09 next time I see him.

The solution itself was pretty easy. It took a few minutes of thinking how to solve it efficiently and safely. This is the gas pedal after all and not some bling trim panel. My solution was to build up material between the OEM pedal and the STi cover. I used several layers of two sided moulding tape. If this stuff is good enough to hold body moldings on the exterior exposed to -30 to +50 temps then it will work just fine sandwiched between the two pedals. So after 20 minutes of cutting and testing, I had built up a few layers and mounted the pedal. The next and final hurdle was getting the pin through the hole on the other side. Raising the material caused the pin to fit a tad higher and miss the hole. I couldn't push hard enough with my finger to force it in, what I did was take a large set of pliers and compress the STi pedal with the back of the arm. If you do this, use a thick cloth so you don't mark up your nice new pedal. Took a few tries but it worked and I bolted it all down. There is no way in H-E-L-L you could do this with the pedal installed in the car. I did all this work on my kitchen table.

Back to the car and I mounted it up. The pedal comes off with two 14mm bolts. I have to say putting back the one in the top is a bit of work. I don't have large hands and it was a tight fit to get my hand up in there. Once complete I took some pics of the completed product before I drove and put any scratches on them. I purchased a close matching dead pedal from the good people at Scoobymods.

It was late so I went to bed. That and I broke the bulb in my trouble light so I didn't want to deal with any issues in the dark if any arose. Today I put them to the test. Went for a spin and tested out feel, grip and some heel toe shifting. The latter is important to me as I perform this technique on the track constantly. I've noticed I can't quite do it as well in my wife's Legacy. So, first stop sign in the neighbourhood and I give it some heel/toe. Not quite as smooth rev matching but I was able to do it. After 5 minutes I had it down, the feel is slightly different but it just takes some getting use to. As for the grip on these pedals, that rocks. The rubber nibs and the textured base are excellent. They provide tons of grip and great feel for where your feet are. I'll be interested to see how they perform in the winter with slush but I have the feeling they'll have no problems.

Level of difficulty for the install: 3 out of 10, mostly for the custom work but also fitting the worlds tiniest nuts on the backs of the brake/clutch pedals. Subaru could have used slightly longer screws to make life easier. It just took a little patience to get them in place.

Utility of the parts: 9 out of 10. There is no doubt these offer a ton more grip and feel from the OEM pedals.

Bling factor: 10 out of 10. These go on the cool wall. They look great and have the performance to back them up. Its almost a shame I'll be stepping all over them every time I drive.

I have the factory install diagrams and will scan those in / post them up in due time.

Instructions: The one part that's missing is on page 3, Instruction #6 it doesn't state to install the collar on the cap screw in text but does show it in the images. If you don't install the collar it doesn't fit up snug on the pedal.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Damn. Time to order up a set!

I asked all the SPT guys at SEMA about these and they said they would not fit. The head SPT guy (who designs all their US products....battery tie down, oil cap, etc) also said they would not fit.

Glad to see someone figured it out!

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Looks good Dude, I'm a little jealous I didn't get these for my car instead of the pink ones. At least I cna live vicariously through you :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked all the SPT guys at SEMA about these and they said they would not fit. The head SPT guy (who designs all their US products....battery tie down, oil cap, etc) also said they would not fit.

Glad to see someone figured it out!
I had these on order when you posted up those pictures, and thought darn ! Someone else is gonna order a set and install them before me :biggrin: You can tell the SPT guy a Canadian figured it out. If they would make a rubber insert to fit the gap they could sell it as an add-on to fit the <09 Subaru models.

Glad you guys all like them. As much as the pink set are great these are so sweet.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Subtle Solutions: I am very interested in the pedals for a 2010 4eat.

Will they fit?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Subtle Solutions: I am very interested in the pedals for a 2010 4eat.

Will they fit?

He doesn't even own a set (yet) lols. These pedals were intended for the 2010 lineup as stated in page 01 of the instructions. Don't forget to order an Auto set, the part # I listed is for manual transmission.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the clutch/brake looks like they're smiling :D and the accelerator looks surprised? :O

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No copying ! :raspberry:

Its been about a week since I put these on, I've only driven a little but I'm perfectly used to them. Had a chance to drive in the rain so I have wet feet and I can say those traction aids on the bottom of the pedals work great.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
the AT set will work on a 2010 4EAT right? no need to improvise or anything? can someone confirm pls. thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Just wanted to post-up some thanks for the OP.

My install in my '05 Legacy 2.5GT (5MT) was a bit different, as my gas pedal is configured differently from that of the SH-Forester, but nevertheless, this thread was very helpful.

:smile:

I now just have to get used to a new set of pedal covers....I've actually used the same set of pedal covers for the last 16 years (no, that's not a typo - I've carried a set of Razo RP42, 43, and 46 aluminum pedal/dead-pedal combo, from car-to-car, since 1994!). I haven't done any driving in the LGT since the replacement, but just fooling around with it in the garage, even in my Sorel boots, they already feel quite different.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts