Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, perhaps this is the worst option on my new Forester? I payed $200 for this...let's see, doesn't charge and doesn't really do anything with my iPhone 3GS except have a real long lag time flipping through songs. It also starts in the middle of songs and doesn't display any info. Do I have to buy a cheap iPod now just for the car, does it work any better with a 'plain' iPod and not the phone?

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Yeah, I had it in my car, and it wouldn't charge my ipod nano, the most recent gen.... It's more worth it to just buy an aftermarket head unit, and run your own usb cable to the glovebox or wherever you choose and use it that way. Mine charges, plays, and the navigation on the HU is wayyyyyy easier than the stock unit.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
sorry if it was not clear, the ipod touch and the iphone do not work properly with the adapter
add to that list the new nano (I assume its the one with the camera?)
the other regular ipod models seem to work good

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
The problem is that Apple changed the iPod charging protocol. More info about the Subaru iPod interface is available here: Subaru Engineering

My 4th generation iPod Nano (or 2nd generation iPod Touch) does not charge when I plug it into the iPod Interface. Why does this happen?

Older iPod® versions would allow charging at either 12 volts or 5 volts. Apple changed this standard and newer iPod®s only charge at 5 volts. Subaru's iPod® Interface was designed to charge at 12 volts.

Does Subaru have a solution for the charging issue?

Yes! iPod® Interfaces can be retrofit with a short dock cable that will correct the charging issue. Just plug it in and go. The part number is H621SXA300. Inventory is expected to be available starting 9/1/09.
More good news is that theScosche passPORT adapter is already supposed to solve the problem. Griffin will soon announce a similar product.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried my 1st gen 32gig touch. It charges, but how do I get it to cycle the playlists? All I could seem to do was cycle between albums and songs by pressing the numbered buttons for the CD changer. Song titles came up. I didn't see anything in the owners manual about how to do this.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
I was thinking of adding the iPod option on my '10. I have a 1st and 4th gen Nano that I'd want to work on this.
In summary, should I do it or is the system just an expensive PITA?????

Bob

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru
6 Posts
You had better be careful using the Subaru ipod dock, it seems to have fried my 1st gen. ipod touch. I have now been told by my dealer it charges at 12 volts and the itouch should only be charging it a 5 volts. It worked fine for a while, but I left it plugged into the cord for a couple weeks during which time I listened to the radio not the itouch. Then when I tried the itouch it won't work. It was 30 days out of warranty so Apple won't fixed it. My credit card paid to have my itouch repaired. I also sent an email to Subaru to see if they were aware of any know problems with the ipod dock. I was told no. Even though the dealer told me that there was a known charging problem Subaru won't acknowledge it. I wouldn't use the dock. I found it very cumbersome to use anyway. Sort of like the factory GPS in my wife's Tribeca, junk. My first generation Garmin Street Pilot is faster and more accurate than the 2006 factory GPS.
I love Subaru car's, but their electronics are poorly designed and not up to date.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
My nano pod is pretty new, and the car's 300 dollar interface won't charge it.

The probeblem with the Subaru cord to fix it - is the 15 dollar shipping charge.

I found one here that's about 4 dollars less, and has a four foot cord.

Look for #12064 at a company called autotoys. I can'tr paste their link as a new member.

I will let everyone know, if it works - ordered it tonight.

Ken

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
Wow, perhaps this is the worst option on my new Forester? I payed $200 for this...let's see, doesn't charge and doesn't really do anything with my iPhone 3GS except have a real long lag time flipping through songs. It also starts in the middle of songs and doesn't display any info. Do I have to buy a cheap iPod now just for the car, does it work any better with a 'plain' iPod and not the phone?
Yeah, I got it took, and it sits unused. I use an aux cable (which I find noisy... anyone any ideas on how to reduce?) and the Opus iphone app, so I can drive eyes-free. I have fluxtunes too, which is more responsive, but I do like that I can specify the gestures to use to control my playlist.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
My new NANOPOD wouldn't charge. I ordered this adapter and it works.

Look for part #12064 at a company called autotoys.com.

It cost 39.21 with shipping. Took 8 days to get it. It lets my IPOD charge at 5 volts and gives you a couple of feet of extra cord, so you can get the IPOD out of the hole to fidget with it.

When you turn off the key, the NANOPOD stops charging.

So, this is a good fix.

To use your IPOD:

- Select the SAT button on the radio to get started
- PTY/CAT to start changing play lists
- The number button 2 to chage playlists
- The updown arrows to browse to the next

Hope this is helpful,
Ken

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
IMHO, the factory iPod adapter is completely useless. It doesn't charge my ipod & jogging through the controls is completely cryptic and gives me a headache. I switched to an aftermarket head unit that already had built in ipod interface, plus you can easily provide your own iPod USB cable, and run it from the back of the head unit in to the glove compartment. Now with my Clarion unit, theres a dedicated usb port for the ipod, optional bluetooth hands free kit, and the ipod controls are really easy to use. simple up, down, and enter buttons to scroll through songs, playlists, albums, etc. Plus, it costs the same amount as the subaru ipod interface kit.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
IMHO, the factory iPod adapter is completely useless. It doesn't charge my ipod & jogging through the controls is completely cryptic and gives me a headache. I switched to an aftermarket head unit that already had built in ipod interface, plus you can easily provide your own iPod USB cable, and run it from the back of the head unit in to the glove compartment. Now with my Clarion unit, theres a dedicated usb port for the ipod, optional bluetooth hands free kit, and the ipod controls are really easy to use. simple up, down, and enter buttons to scroll through songs, playlists, albums, etc. Plus, it costs the same amount as the subaru ipod interface kit.
Sounds like a winner. If you don't mind, what it's its model and cost? Self install? Even better, post a photo!!!

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
Ahh yes... I have pics up on my modjournal... but heres a few shots from there.....

In daylight...

The USB cable run to the Glove Compartment

And at night... Displaying title (Scrolling), Track #, and Time Elapse

The only real complaint on this unit is that it could really use a dial for scrolling through songs, playlists, etc., but the simple buttons make it really easy. I believe they have a more expensive unit that looks like this one, except it can light up red....

And the install is as EASY as they come by.... This was the first head unit install I have ever done.... and it took me probably no more than an hour tops. I purchased this off of Crutchfield... they gave me a wiring adapter.. so all you have to do is connect the wires from the head unit, to the adapter.... solder or use electrical tape, and then connect the adapter to the adapter you unplugged from the original head unit... then just place the head unit back... and you've got your system ready to go!

Heres a link; I did a short brief write up on the install....
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/new-double-din-head-unit-installed-09-a-58686/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts