Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2010 Forester has just started acting like the key is still in the ignition after it has been removed. I have tried putting the key back in and switching on/off/Acc, etc. and only once in about 15 starts did it work as it should. A real PITA since you can't use the power locks or fob to lock the car. I tried a spare set of keys that are not worn, but no difference. I am assuming that one of the tumblers in the ignition are stuck, but what can I do to fix?

Thanks.

RWORR

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
Make sure it is a genuine Subaru key. Also get a tube of powdered graphite for locks and shoot some in there.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
My 2010 Forester has just started acting like the key is still in the ignition after it has been removed. I have tried putting the key back in and switching on/off/Acc, etc. and only once in about 15 starts did it work as it should. A real POTA since you can't use the power locks or fob to lock the car. I tried a spare set of keys that are not worn, but no difference. I am assuming that one of the tumblers in the ignition are stuck, but what can I do to fix?
Good suggestion from another user to spray graphite into the keyhole.

I've never had this problem so this is just a swag.

Why not reset your ECU. Disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes, start the car without touching the throttle, etc. - basically start over again. Most of the security features are controlled by the ECU so maybe the ECU has gone nutso.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have Teflon powder lubricant. Is that okay instead of graphite? Also, is there anyway to manually lock the back hatch? I realized that I can manually lock all of the doors, but not the hatch!

May try the reset tomorrow, but want to lock the car for overnight.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have Teflon powder lubricant. Is that okay instead of graphite?
No experience with it,,unless it says for locks I wouldn't use it. The powdered graphic is known to do a great job. I wold go with that.

·
Registered
2010 Forester MT
5 Posts
Any luck with this? Mine just started it this morning when I got to work. 2010 X Premium. Same story as yours, keyless not working, interior lock switch resets to unlocked (thanks for worrying about me locking my keys in the car 'Ru!), incessant beeping, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck yet. I am currently using the power lock to lock all of the doors (including the rear hatch) while I am still in the car and then manually unlocking and locking the driver's side door. This is the only way to make sure the back hatch is locked also. I don't have the time to mess with this now. So, I am using the key to unlock and the method above to lock. I didn't try the reset yet. Let me know if you make any progress.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2010 Forester MT
5 Posts
No improvement, battery disconnect didn't solve

Well, I disconnected the positive battery cable for about an hour and a half last night and there has been no improvement (still acting like the key is in the ignition, when the car is off and the key is in my hand). :(

·
Registered
2010 Forester MT
5 Posts
possible solution found

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/weird-issue-car-acting-if-key-still-ignition-178566.html?

link

the above legacy forum had a post with a similar problem to ours here. It looks like an ignition switch issue (duh) but there is an interesting fix/work around involving snugging the microswitch (detects key in cylinder) to the ignition cylinder with zip ties. There are also some pictures.

Not sure if this is the exact same set up as on our Foresters, but I'm willing to bet its pretty close.

Hope it is helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Don't know about you, but this is a little too advanced for my mechanical skills. I'm going to live with it for awhile. Don't relish the idea of going to the dealer and spending big bucks to replace the ignition.:puke: Never had this happen in any car I have owned and I only have 44K miles!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6MT
25 Posts
If you do need to have the cylinder replaced, plan for about $600. I had mine basically disintegrate on the inside (2005 legacy).

I did buy a spare off ebay but it was fairly intrusive and I had to get downstate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the warning on the cost! I also have a problem with the TPM being constantly on - I believe it is the sensor module itself - that I am putting off. By the time I decide to get repairs probably going to cost me a grand!

·
Registered
2010 Forester MT
5 Posts
I thought I'd post a follow up: I did pull the steering column cover off (the bottom was easy to remove, but the top was unable to be removed without removing the instrument cluster bezel(?) just above the column). The little micro-switch shown in the other post I linked appeared to be very tight on the cylinder and pressing on it or 'snugging' it to the ignition cylinder had no effect on the dreaded beeping.

I guess I will inquire with the dealer....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update - Warning

I thought I would live without fixing the ignition until I needed some maintenance, but...:icon_mad:

Because the car thinks the key is still in the ignition the warning beep always sounds whenever you get in and out of the car - so your learn to ignore it, - The problem is if you leave just the running lights on for 9 hours the battery can run down and you may need a jump! Obviously, the system that powers down will only work when the keys have been removed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2010 Forester ignition update

Has anyone who experienced this problem made any progress? I am trying to decide whether to take it in for repairs. Would rather not due to the possible cost. Wondering if any was has a simple solution?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2010 Forester MT
5 Posts
Success!

It's been a while but I finally did get this fixed. I took my Forester in to the dealer for an oil change (still under warranty, dealer is close and I have a oil change package with them that makes it pretty cheap) and they were able to fix it. The work order says they removed the key sensor and filed down the tabs to get it to sit closer to the actual ignition cylinder. Mine was repaired under warranty (which ends in two weeks!).

ninja edit:
in the mean time I did just unplug the sensor and everything seemed to work fine (keyless entry, headlights didn't stay on after pulling the key, etc.). See the pictures I posted before for a visual (basically remove the bottom steering cover and on the left hand side is a little white plug).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ninja edit:
in the mean time I did just unplug the sensor and everything seemed to work fine (keyless entry, headlights didn't stay on after pulling the key, etc.). See the pictures I posted before for a visual (basically remove the bottom steering cover and on the left hand side is a little white plug).
Hello,

Checked out the link with the photos for the Legacy, but when I looked at my Forester I couldn't find the micro switch plug. The photo doesn't seem to match what I see. Do you have to remove the cowl around the steering column? I removed the lower dashboard panel and couldn't see the plug on the left side.:icon_question:

Thanks,

RWORR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts