Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 6sp Diesel
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure I'm getting to the bottom of my rough idle problem, but I have wandered down the YouTube rabbit hole...

Is the idle re-learn something that works on the EE20?

Thanks!
Scott

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,439 Posts
@stallard it's not going to hurt anything to try... just some of your time. If it doesn't work, then you can rule that out & move on with the troubleshooting.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
105 Posts
Pretty sure I'm getting to the bottom of my rough idle problem, but I have wandered down the YouTube rabbit hole...

Is the idle re-learn something that works on the EE20?

Thanks!
Scott
Hi,
Of course you can try, but I doubt it will make any changes.
ECU controls idle speed by injected fuel ammount there are no idle control valves or idle circuits like on gasoline cars.
Maybe try describing what your idle is like? constant (fast) shaking, random jerks, surging (low rpms like it is about to die)?
are there any changes in behaviur with ac on or off, what happens when you start to drive (when clutch is engaging) does it smoothen out or gets worse? do you have any vibration on acceleration? does the shaking get worse when you raise rpms standing in neutural?
Try looking Cylinder quantity correction value on all 4 cylinders if you have torque pro app.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
509 Posts
Have you gone through the ‘rough idle’ check list? (attached below).

The ‘over-running alternator pulley’, is more likely to make your belt tensioner bounce around more than it should, or make the tensioner appear to be worn.

If the rough idle is very pronounced, I would suspect something other, or in addition to a worn alternator pulley.

I have had the Dealer refer to an injector relearn on the Diesel. ECU can be set to compulsory relearn mode, via scantool.
Will do injectors, fuel pump, and EGR valve.

What angle does your ECU say the EGR valve is at, whilst on idle? What angle is it at on cold start?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts