Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to describe this as best I can, but obviously without hearing it I suspect it might be difficult to diagnose.

I have a 2010 Forester XT with 101K miles on it. Timing belt was serviced at 80k miles. Car has generally been good to me. I am the second owner.

Recently I have noticed that when accelerating that around 20-25 mph I hear a very faint, short, whirring type sound that seems to be emanating from the left side of the engine compartment. In city traffic it happens a lot and I can hear it frequently. I usually glance at the speedo and it's right about 20ish mph.

The sound is sort of a brrrp sound. Like a zip tie being pulled, but at a lower frequency.

The sound only lasts may a second at most. It's usually pretty subdued, but sometimes I've noticed it even if the radio is on.

I do not hear it at higher speeds, such as when accelerating to pass.

Before I go to the dealer and open up my wallet to who know's what, I was hoping that maybe someone on this forum might be familiar with this?

Thank you!
Mark

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,896 Posts
Can you upload/link to a video recording of the sound? Trying to troubleshoot "whirring" is nearly impossible at best.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
I have an 09 xt, and it made a sound like that, only during light acceleration. Sounded like a tiny boost leak but inside under the driver side of the dash board.

I'm in the process of installing boost and oil pressure gauges and temporarily installed a mechanical boost gauge. While removing the hose that feeds the map sensor I noticed it was cracked at the bend, the hose was also very hard where it connects to the intake manifold (behind the alternator). I used some new random silicone hose in different sizes with a tee and ran the tiny nylon line to the boost gauge in the vehicle.

Seeing this thread reminds me I haven't noticed that noise the past several days. Did the install about a week ago. Of course I may not be recreating the correct situation to make the noise or just paying closer attention to get stereo. I will listen closer for a few days to see if it's still happening.

Otherwise it could be the oem bov making recirc noises.

Check that little hose from the map sensor to the manifold. Just be sure you have spare hose in case it breaks. Mine was cracked on the bend underneath where you couldn't see.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you upload/link to a video recording of the sound? Trying to troubleshoot "whirring" is nearly impossible at best.
I've been trying to capture the noise on a recording but I can't seem to get it. I figured it was a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Omgawdz,
Thanks for the insight. This sounds like it could be the same noise I'm hearing. It comes and goes. I don't hear it all the time and I've been driving w/o stereo on to see how I often I hear it.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
So I've had the carpet out for a few weeks now, for adding insulation and audio wiring.

There is a weird sound on mine in addition to the weird random boost leak sound that is random and at low speeds.

The other sound is like a cam bucket having too much clearance, a light rattle at idle that also seems to come from the left side of the dash.

A few days ago I realized it's louder without the carpet and also that the noise is all along the left. It turns out the fuel pressure line is making the rattle! You can touch it and feel it vibrate at the same frequency as the rattle and if you push the line firmly the noise gets way quieter. You can press on it anywhere from the fuel tank access cover to the area next to the door and it quiets down. Apparently that pressure line isn't damped enough with the pressure damper up front and it transmits directly to the frame through the hard plastic mounts. That explains why I hear zero rattle under the hood and only inside. 😀

When I install the sound deadener, I will pay extra attention to the entire fuel line run. It won't make a peep after I'm done with it. I may also replace the fuel damper under the hood, in case it's not doing its job anymore (it does have over 120k miles).

Probably not the noise the OP is dealing with, but just figured it may help anyone reading and trying to figure out their noises.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts