Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed the hood deflector for my 2010 Forester. I used the one available directly from Subaru (part number E231SSC000). It was late when I finished so I didn't get a chance to test drive the vehicle with it on.

This morning I went out to the garage and there is now a crack starting at the screwhole closest to the passenger side and extending to the top edge of the deflector. This is before I even drove the car with it on! My first impression was that maybe I tightened the screws too much. The instructions (which are crap by the way ) give no indication on how tight to make them. Also, if I would have made them much looser, I feel they would have vibrated out over time since. I made the screws just tight enough that I was not able to turn them by hand.

Has anybody else had this issue? Are there other brands of hood deflectors for the 2010 Forester that are more robust?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one of those deflectors and had no problems with cracking where the screws are...

In fact, you can't really over tighten the screws, they basically just hold the deflector there. Maybe mine is screwed up, but you can just keep turning the screw without it tightening down too tight. It has enough pressure to maintain a hold, but nothing like what you are describing of enough pressure to crack the plastic.

I'm actually not that impressed with it honestly. I thought the lip on it would be a little higher to help direct airflow and bug splatter higher on the windshield. This unit is basically just a deflector, to help prevent rock chips on the hood and nothing more. Kind of redundent since I already have the clear bra.

Send it back, and see if you can get a lund, vent shade, weathertech or AVS. Those are all a much better design with no screws on the deflector, just on the bottom where it mounts to the hood.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the suppliers you mentioned and couldn't find any that carry a deflector for the '10 Forester. I have used "Bugflector 2" in the past on Ford products and liked them but the search for a Bugflector 2 deflector for the 2010 Forester also came up empty.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I had no problem with mine cracking at all. Been on there for a couple months too. I'd return it and get a new one.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Mine has 52,000 kms/21 months/2 winters on it, with lots of hits and no cracks, chips or other signs of use. I say take it back and get a refund.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buyer Beware -EBay Seller

To follow up on the issue I had with the hood deflector: I purchased the item on E-bay from "byersimports". I tried with no success to contact the seller about returning the item. The return policy from "byersimports" is:

"Returns are accepted on a case by case basis. If you need to return an item, please contact us first and we will send you return instructions."

The problem is they never reply to any e-mails. This seems to be a recurring problem if you look at the seller's feedback rating. If you purchase an item and everything is fine that's great. But if there is ever a problem, there is no opportunity to resolve it with the seller under their return policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts