Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Premium 4eat
3 Posts
Our 09 Forester now has 110k and had the HGs replaced at 50k under warranty. Both L/R sides had substantial oil weeping "more than we'd like to see" is what dealer told us, after I inquired about it before the drive train warranty expired. Now at 110k the left side is weeping quite a bit again but no dripping and ironically the right side is still bone dry. Have always maintained the car, oil changes, trans-tranfer-rearend fluids, super coolant, spark plugs and timing. Otherwise the car has been bullet proof. Besides brakes, rotors and battery, the only other parts repair has been the front sway links and a couple recalls. Oh, and the stupid heat shields! :rolleyes:

My daughter's car 06 Outback just recently died so she needed another car while finishing up college so she got our 09 Forester, hopefully we can get another 50k out of it before they go. We replaced the Forester with a new Mazda CX5...We test drove a 2020 Forester and Outback and weren't really sold on either. The Outback rode great but seemed under powered and we did not like everything going through the giant touch screen, climate controls, heated seats etc. Really, just give me a button for heated seats! The Forester had more zip than the Outback but rode rough, jarring and bumpy compared to the outback (test drove on the exact route as the Outback) and was not much better than our 09 with 110k.

The CX5 had the cushy ride of the Outback but with little to no roll unless pushed hard and seemed substantially quicker than both Subies. Just a much more pleasurable car to drive, with a real transmission and how well they have the power band of engine/trans dialed in, plus steering feel, sporty and cushy ride (not sure how they did that) etc. Not to mention the aesthetics of the car's exterior and interior appeared quite a bit more premium to my wife and myself. The decision was made even easier by the fact that similarly equipped Forester & CX5 both MSRPed at 31k but we were able to get the Cap cost down 2k more on the CX5 which in turn was $85 a month less on the lease for next 3 years. Not sure I trust all this new tech enough yet to buy a car today with only a 3/36 standard warranty so I think we'll lease for the next couple cycles and see how reliable all this fluff turns out to be...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Our 09 Forester now has 110k and had the HGs replaced at 50k under warranty. Both L/R sides had substantial oil weeping "more than we'd like to see" is what dealer told us, after I inquired about it before the drive train warranty expired. Now at 110k the left side is weeping quite a bit again but no dripping and ironically the right side is still bone dry. Have always maintained the car, oil changes, trans-tranfer-rearend fluids, super coolant, spark plugs and timing. Otherwise the car has been bullet proof. Besides brakes, rotors and battery, the only other parts repair has been the front sway links and a couple recalls. Oh, and the stupid heat shields! :rolleyes:

My daughter's car 06 Outback just recently died so she needed another car while finishing up college so she got our 09 Forester, hopefully we can get another 50k out of it before they go. We replaced the Forester with a new Mazda CX5...We test drove a 2020 Forester and Outback and weren't really sold on either. The Outback rode great but seemed under powered and we did not like everything going through the giant touch screen, climate controls, heated seats etc. Really, just give me a button for heated seats! The Forester had more zip than the Outback but rode rough, jarring and bumpy compared to the outback (test drove on the exact route as the Outback) and was not much better than our 09 with 110k.

The CX5 had the cushy ride of the Outback but with little to no roll unless pushed hard and seemed substantially quicker than both Subies. Just a much more pleasurable car to drive, with a real transmission and how well they have the power band of engine/trans dialed in, plus steering feel, sporty and cushy ride (not sure how they did that) etc. Not to mention the aesthetics of the car's exterior and interior appeared quite a bit more premium to my wife and myself. The decision was made even easier by the fact that similarly equipped Forester & CX5 both MSRPed at 31k but we were able to get the Cap cost down 2k more on the CX5 which in turn was $85 a month less on the lease for next 3 years. Not sure I trust all this new tech enough yet to buy a car today with only a 3/36 standard warranty so I think we'll lease for the next couple cycles and see how reliable all this fluff turns out to be...
I’m very interested to test drive a CX-5 when the time comes to replace the Forester. You’re the first person I’ve heard describe the new Forester as a rough ride but opinions vary.

·
Registered
09 forester
152 Posts
my 02 forster at 300k was leaking like crazy no coolent, but oil i was resealing the parking lot at work. Got the HG soon after that but i did not notice a crack in the rad so i cooked the engine.

She is still out there with a newer engine, guy from work bought the car mostly for parts but decided to store it till a good engine came around. He found one the donor body was trash but engine was in good shape.
Thats a good history, and it looks like you're in PA and have to deal with rust.

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
24 Posts
212K so far on our ‘09. There is not transfer of fluids that i can see, but both sides leak which is annoying.
its been a good car with minimal problems over all but shame on Subaru for putting crappy gaskets in to begin with. I’d have happily paid the difference in price at the beginning and not have to worry about this.
SA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
212K so far on our ‘09. There is not transfer of fluids that i can see, but both sides leak which is annoying.
its been a good car with minimal problems over all but shame on Subaru for putting crappy gaskets in to begin with. I’d have happily paid the difference in price at the beginning and not have to worry about this.
SA
I agree but you’ve done very well with that car. After 200K, all bets are off, in my book.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Premium 4eat
3 Posts
I’m very interested to test drive a CX-5 when the time comes to replace the Forester. You’re the first person I’ve heard describe the new Forester as a rough ride but opinions vary.
I guess I would not call it rough riding in general but in comparison to the Outback & CX5 it definately seemed more jarring on the crappy (Ohio) winter roads. IMO

·
Registered
2009 forster automatic
12 Posts
my 09 has 153k with original hg. I went to do a tune up and my mechanic wouldn't take my money told me to use it to save up for the reseal. he gave me a very generous estimate and I drove from la to morrow bay with no issues. 2 weeks ago I did throw a p0420 code I think it was from bad gas though. they should be replaced hopefully in the nest month or so. im just monitoring the oil and trying not to do to much. its a non California car also

21 - 29 of 29 Posts