Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve had my 2010 Forester in for all maintenance with the dealership. Shortly after the timing belt was changed, the head gasket blew at 170,000 km. Replaced that. Now the engine constantly makes a loud ticking sound and it’s down 1 L oil every 1,000 km. I took it in to the dealership for a diagnostic. Charged me $250 to tell me the engine looks average, plus another $200 (without asking) to fix an open pcv valve. It still ticks loudly and burns oil. Seems like the engine is done. Is it time to sell if I’m not a mechanic? This car has cost me a fortune this year ($8,000)!!!! And I feel like the dealership is just trying to wring every last cent out of me before this engine gives out.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,803 Posts
If they did the head gasket and into burns oil they screwed you. Contact subaru corporate

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
1,069 Posts
The loud ticking sound is concerning, but on my 03 I've also had head gasket and all seals replaced, valves and seals done with HG, and it still consumes oil at a similar rate. It is definitely not leaking anywhere, no oil/coolant mixing or anything. We just keep it topped off and its been good to our family, currently my daughter's car.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
@Christa123 -
First of all, use a dealer as a last resort.
They tend to be the most expensive for repairs and have a proclivity to "repair" by replacing parts at full price regardless of whether or not that part has anything to do with the problem.
No idea where you live, but with your kilometer reference, you aren't in the US.
Update your profile and perhaps someone can provide you with a referral to help you find a decent mechanic in your area.

There is more to an engine than gaskets... just replacing them doesn't mean every problem is resolved.
That being said, that ticking sound is likely a valve issue that should have been looked at, and addressed if needed when the heads were removed to replace the gaskets. If the ticking was there before the HG job, there's no excuse for why the valves weren't addressed, but the reason would be incompetence.
It could also be that they just need adjustment, but again that should have been done with gasket work if the service department knew what they were doing.

The oil burn cause can be determined by some simple tests that can be performed by any competent mechanic.
Ideally, these tests should have been done before the head gasket job, because if the engine had serious valve and compression problems, there is no point in just fixing the gaskets. A compression and leakdown test will reveal where your engine has a problem and whether or not it is worth investing more money in.
Those tests should be done by a shop whose primary goal isn't removing as much cash as possible from their customer.
So get another opinion. Find out what is going on with the engine and make an informed decision.
Once you find out what's going on, you will have a basis - or not - to address an issue with Subaru corporate.

In every location in the US I'm aware of, it is illegal to demand payment for work that isn't authorized.
The $250 for cleaning a PCV valve is excessive. Were it my car I wouldn't pay them for unauthorized, excessively charged work.
You may have a legal recourse there. You also are free to communicate your experience with that dealership.
It is sad when a dealership victimizes their customers. Be sure to inform Subaru regarding this issue.

Oil use is only a problem if you run out of oil, so make sure you keep it filled.
It will cost you some additional money adding oil between changes, but it may be more cost effective than major engine work, especially if the tests reveal that the engine compression is decent.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts