Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to do some research, and figure all of this out. I've only got 1000ish miles on my FXT, so this is all preliminary, but I will be buying stuff to tune.

Originally, I was looking at buying a Tactrix cable and going that route with ECUflash. I liked the price, and am reasonably comfortable with open-source tuning. However, it doesn't look like they have ECu definitions for the 2010 yet? Is this correct?

Is romraider any different?

So, does all this leave Accessport as the only option right now?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
So, I'm trying to do some research, and figure all of this out. I've only got 1000ish miles on my FXT, so this is all preliminary, but I will be buying stuff to tune.

Originally, I was looking at buying a Tactrix cable and going that route with ECUflash. I liked the price, and am reasonably comfortable with open-source tuning. However, it doesn't look like they have ECu definitions for the 2010 yet? Is this correct?

Is romraider any different?

So, does all this leave Accessport as the only option right now?
This all depends on your patience. The opensource guys will have the defs written sooner or later. But if you must have something to tune with today, then yes, go with the AP.

When you refer to opensource, that is generally an entanglement of a number of pieces of software. ECUflash is used to read and flash, and some use it to modify the rom. Romraider is used to datalog and modify the rom. There are many addtional tools available as well, just less well known.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This all depends on your patience. The opensource guys will have the defs written sooner or later. But if you must have something to tune with today, then yes, go with the AP.

When you refer to opensource, that is generally an entanglement of a number of pieces of software. ECUflash is used to read and flash, and some use it to modify the rom. Romraider is used to datalog and modify the rom. There are many addtional tools available as well, just less well known.
Thanks.

Judging by your response, I am correct in thinking that ECUflash does not yet have definitions for the 2010? Is it a reasonable expectation that they will?

I was thinking of picking up a cable to get my feet wet. To begin with, I want it for datalogging with the stock tune. I live in Colorado at 6500 feet, and am either in the mountains (up to 13,000 feet) or towing boats, or both, every weekend. Datalogging on past cars in this environment, I have found the stock tune leaves much to be desired- On several vehicles I have found that the computer does not adequately account for altitude, and so ridiculously rich in the mountains.

Considering this is a turbo car, that it also used for moderate towing in a tough environment, I want to start getting an idea of what the computer is telling it to do, which is why I want a cable.

That said, I have heard that one of the guys primarily responsible for creating open source definitions no longer does this. I would feel stupid to buy a cable just to have to buy an accessport when i want to tune because I can't get definitions for my ECU.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Thanks.

Judging by your response, I am correct in thinking that ECUflash does not yet have definitions for the 2010? Is it a reasonable expectation that they will?

I was thinking of picking up a cable to get my feet wet. To begin with, I want it for datalogging with the stock tune. I live in Colorado at 6500 feet, and am either in the mountains (up to 13,000 feet) or towing boats, or both, every weekend. Datalogging on past cars in this environment, I have found the stock tune leaves much to be desired- On several vehicles I have found that the computer does not adequately account for altitude, and so ridiculously rich in the mountains.

Considering this is a turbo car, that it also used for moderate towing in a tough environment, I want to start getting an idea of what the computer is telling it to do, which is why I want a cable.

That said, I have heard that one of the guys primarily responsible for creating open source definitions no longer does this. I would feel stupid to buy a cable just to have to buy an accessport when i want to tune because I can't get definitions for my ECU.
Development does continue with opensource, but it is much slower. Merchgod now works for Cobb, and while Cobb did enter into an agreement to let him continue to work in the opensource community, he simply doesn't have the time. Very talented guy in high demand.

Anyway, that means others in the opensource community need to step up, and there has been a few guys to do that. I probably should as well.

With all that said, I'm sure defs are coming, but it might be a little while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts