Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I think I may already know the answer to this question, but i will ask and make sure.

My two month old XT's brakes do not seem to be have proper pressure response. That is when staying on the brakes, such as at a red light, I am able to keep pushing the pedal down quite a ways, not really easily mind you. The brakes just do not seem to build up full pressure (and hold the pressure) and stop the travel of the pedal like normal brakes do.

The brakes do seem to be working fine?, but I have felt that they could be much better considering its four wheel disc when i am used to a plain old power boosted front disc/rear drum system.

I do know what failed brakes feel like, I recently had to replace the master cylinder in another vehicle, its not fun trying to drive with no brakes.

I feel the answer is that I need to go back to my dealer and get them checked out, but as everyone knows, that can be/is a pain in the butt to do. But maybe then I might bring up the rattle in the doors.

So, I guess the *actual question* would be good, are the brakes working right? or am I right and they have a small problem somewhere in the system?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Hello everyone, I think I may already know the answer to this question, but i will ask and make sure.

My two month old XT's brakes do not seem to be have proper pressure response. That is when staying on the brakes, such as at a red light, I am able to keep pushing the pedal down quite a ways, not really easily mind you. The brakes just do not seem to build up full pressure (and hold the pressure) and stop the travel of the pedal like normal brakes do.

The brakes do seem to be working fine?, but I have felt that they could be much better considering its four wheel disc when i am used to a plain old power boosted front disc/rear drum system.

I do know what failed brakes feel like, I recently had to replace the master cylinder in another vehicle, its not fun trying to drive with no brakes.

I feel the answer is that I need to go back to my dealer and get them checked out, but as everyone knows, that can be/is a pain in the butt to do. But maybe then I might bring up the rattle in the doors.

So, I guess the *actual question* would be good, are the brakes working right? or am I right and they have a small problem somewhere in the system?

Sounds fine to me. Both of our older Subies have the mushy pedal feel, but stop just fine, and the '09 loaner I had this summer was the same way. Just something to get used to, I suppose.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
my pedal will also "fade" to the floor at a stop light if I keep pushing... its normal. Try to push to the floor while driving... you will stop in a hurry.

I won't say I am overly impressed with the brakes, they are doing the job but like everything, there is room for improvement.

Like myself, perhaps you would be interested in some sti brakes in the future, but for now they are working as designed.

p.s.- it would be nice if you could narrow down your location. Canada is a little big. It's not really important, I'm just curious how far you are from me.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Hi Radcom, Good evening sir, Will add my tuppenceworth to the thread. You have had the car for a couple of months and should be getting used to the feel of it now. Sure all cars are different, some require a heavy input and makes you think you have a real solid car --until it doesn't do what you want. Similarly a lightly controlled car can make you feel that that its controlling you until a situation occurs which gives you confidence in the car. And thats the key. Maybe the car just doesn't suit you. Every car is different and you have to adapt to it. I love my Forester to bits and the wife her Outback and we don't enjoy driving the others, given a choice. Nothing whatsoever wrong with either car except confidence in it.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Radcom, Good evening sir, Will add my tuppenceworth to the thread. You have had the car for a couple of months and should be getting used to the feel of it now. Sure all cars are different, some require a heavy input and makes you think you have a real solid car --until it doesn't do what you want. Similarly a lightly controlled car can make you feel that that its controlling you until a situation occurs which gives you confidence in the car. And thats the key. Maybe the car just doesn't suit you. Every car is different and you have to adapt to it. I love my Forester to bits and the wife her Outback and we don't enjoy driving the others, given a choice. Nothing whatsoever wrong with either car except confidence in it.
I don't dislike my Forester at all, I very much love it and can't wait for some sufficient snow to play in. For me its a fact of not being used to the car, but a fact that i do some amateur autocross racing, and with the brakes being "mushy," I wouldn't be able to pass tech. Thats really how i discovered this quirk, to pass tech the brake pedal must hold pressure for 15 secs (that is, not continue to travel to the floor).

I tend to try to find out the limits of my cars ability, and push as far as comfortable/capable. This is part of my driving philosophy, to know the capability of my car so that I can be a better driver.

my pedal will also "fade" to the floor at a stop light if I keep pushing... its normal. Try to push to the floor while driving... you will stop in a hurry.

I won't say I am overly impressed with the brakes, they are doing the job but like everything, there is room for improvement.

Like myself, perhaps you would be interested in some sti brakes in the future, but for now they are working as designed.

p.s.- it would be nice if you could narrow down your location. Canada is a little big. It's not really important, I'm just curious how far you are from me.
Oh I definitely see some STI brakes on it in the future, among other upgrades. I'm from the province thats easy to draw, and hard to spell :icon_wink:

So is this response a characteristic of the EBD ABS that Subaru uses?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts