Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2010 Forester - no turbo. I have a local independent do all of our service for about 15 years now. The car just turned 30K and one service bulletin says to replace the fuel filter, and the other say 60K for the filter.

Now - where is the filter?? He seems to think its in the tank and part of the fuel pump since its not visible anywhere. You have to drop the tank to change the filter??

And is it 30K or 60K for this service?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
We have 2010 Forester - no turbo. I have a local independent do all of our service for about 15 years now. The car just turned 30K and one service bulletin says to replace the fuel filter, and the other say 60K for the filter.

Now - where is the filter?? He seems to think its in the tank and part of the fuel pump since its not visible anywhere. You have to drop the tank to change the filter??

And is it 30K or 60K for this service?

Thanks!
I am not certain about the location of the fuel filter because I am still learning about the vehicle myself but my motto is, know enough about your vehicle to be dangerous such as the location of the fuel filter, but make sure anyone working on it knows more than you do.

If you want to continue to have them do your service, one of you is going to have to learn more about the vehicle, preferably them, and maybe you should drop some coin on a proper shop manual because it just doesn't take much to destroy a vehicle nowadays or at least make one undrivable without expensive repairs to remedy the mistake.

I'm sure your mechanic has your best interests at heart and all, but unless they are more knowledgeable about the vehicle and how to proceed with maintenance and repairs, it could be an expensive lesson for both of you, good luck.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
I believe that the filter is in the fuel tank. I am about to replace my pump for a turbo swap that I am doing, and I have been trying to dig up as much info on our newer cars as I can. The filter is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly, and this assembly can be accessed from a access hole on the top of the tank. The access hole is usually in the passenger side of our Subarus, under the rear seat or in the trunk. There would be no reason that you would have to drop the fuel tank to get to it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
I believe that the filter is in the fuel tank. I am about to replace my pump for a turbo swap that I am doing, and I have been trying to dig up as much info on our newer cars as I can. The filter is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly, and this assembly can be accessed from a access hole on the top of the tank. The access hole is usually in the passenger side of our Subarus, under the rear seat or in the trunk. There would be no reason that you would have to drop the fuel tank to get to it. Hope this helps
Please tell us about this turbo swap!!!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
I was told there is no fuel filter to replace.
Someone told you a lie then.

Mark
Nowhere in my Warranty/Maintenance and Roadside Assistance Booklet (SMSA9009) does it even mention the fuel filter, let alone what is replacement interval is. Mark (or anyone else for that matter), can you provide an official Subaru reference for the replacement? Thanks, Tman.

This is unusual as I am used to doing the fuel filter every other oil change due to some suspect gas in our area.

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
477 Posts
Just a word of warning: The clips from the canister to fuel lines can get loose when removed. I had the misfortune of having one of these lines pop out when I started the car one morning.

I got a replacement clip from subaru but just have them as spare. I just switched the loose one to the clip with the other line that does not blow out pressure.

Here's the USDM diagram of the fuel pump assembly.

FXT 09/10 is the same with sti 08. The hoses and clip attach to the 3 protrusions on top of 42052DD.

Clips come out at around 5 bucks ea afaik.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
We have 2010 Forester... have a local independent do all of our service... where is the filter?? He seems to think its in the tank and part of the fuel pump since its not visible anywhere. You have to drop the tank to change the filter??...
Filter is on the pump in the tank, accessible from the top:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/my03-walbro-fuel-pump-installation-38407/#post438315

Subaru's maintenance schedule shows replacement at 60 months / 60K miles.

Be careful removing the rigid foam plastic pieces around the spare tire well. It is easy to damage the various fasteners, or even break off a tab of foam containing a fastener. My dealer did both. He bought me a new piece of plastic across the front of the spare tire well for $100, and I was able to make a replacement snap myself for a $60 piece beside the well.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Filter is on the pump in the tank, accessible from the top:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/my03-walbro-fuel-pump-installation-38407/#post438315

Subaru's maintenance schedule shows replacement at 60 months / 60K miles.

Be careful removing the rigid foam plastic pieces around the spare tire well. It is easy to damage the various fasteners, or even break off a tab of foam containing a fastener. My dealer did both. He bought me a new piece of plastic across the front of the spare tire well for $100, and I was able to make a replacement snap myself for a $60 piece beside the well.
Good info if you have an 03 but for us with the 09/10 (as the OP), what is the interval, if any?

I guess the best source will be Subaru. I will e-mail them and get the right answer and post (if I get one :biggrin: )

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
Good info if you have an 03 but for us with the 09/10 (as the OP), what is the interval, if any? guess the best source will be Subaru. I will e-mail them and get the right answer and post (if I get one :biggrin: )
When the filter was in the engine compartment, the interval was 30K miles. When the filter was moved into the tank, the interval became 60K miles. That holds for the 2003 in the link posted, for my own 2008, and for 2009 and 2010.
Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2010

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
When the filter was in the engine compartment, the interval was 30K miles. When the filter was moved into the tank, the interval became 60K miles. That holds for the 2003 in the link posted, for my own 2008, and for 2009 and 2010.
Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2010
Thanks and it makes a lot of sense but that link is not from Subaru, its from Joe Spitz [This unauthorized page is maintained by Joe Spitz who is responsible for content. Errors, omissions, typos will be corrected as I am made aware of them.
Use common sense and take care of your car and always have a trained mechanic check it out]. I have sent an e-mail to Subaru Canada asking for the "official" word and will post when/if I get it.

I still have a problem with doing a fuel filter only every 5 years or 110,000 kms (hmm, I'm half way already :biggrin: ).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Interesting... :confused:
I went to My.Subaru Cookie Test Page and looked at BOTH the Dealer recomendations and Manufacturer recommendations for service. At no point before 120K is the fuel filter even mentioned.
It only says to "Inspect" fuel connections, fittings and hoses on the 30K, 60K, 90K and 120K services.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... looked at BOTH the Dealer recomendations and Manufacturer recommendations for service. At no point before 120K is the fuel filter even mentioned. It only says to "Inspect" fuel connections, fittings and hoses on the 30K, 60K, 90K and 120K services.
Looked at these:
1. The maintenance booklet that came with my new 2008 Forester.
2. An online PDF schedule, which is page 28 from that booklet.
3. The 2000-2009 maintenance schedule posted at Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period
They all say to replace the fuel filter at 60 months or 60K miles.
There is a line item "Replace Fuel Filter", there is a column "60 months 60K miles", and at their intersection there is either an R (Replace) or a P (Perform).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,390 Posts
Damn..I had the recall done last week. I have 56K miles on the thing. I should have had the filter done. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Looked at these:
1. The maintenance booklet that came with my new 2008 Forester.
2. An online PDF schedule, which is page 28 from that booklet.
3. The 2000-2009 maintenance schedule posted at Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period
They all say to replace the fuel filter at 60 months or 60K miles.
There is a line item "Replace Fuel Filter", there is a column "60 months 60K miles", and at their intersection there is either an R (Replace) or a P (Perform).
They are correct for 2008 and earlier. But not 2009. I have no idea about 2010 tho.... http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/no-fuel-filter-2009-a-78003/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts