Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Forester x (auto transmission) has developed an intermittent clanking sound coming from the front end - driver’s side.
It sounds like a length of rebar tapping on the road. Usually after starting and moving at low speeds (under 25mph with little to moderate acceleration). After a few taps and after it gets up to speed, I don’t notice it again.
The control arm bushings and ball joints were showing signs of wear so I replaced those recently but it didn’t make any difference for the noise. The sway bar, links and mounts all appear in good condition.
now I’m beginning to think it might be coming from somewhere in the drive train or steering/tie rod.
Anybody with any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,247 Posts
Welcome,
Usually a tapping metallic sound is the CV axles on their way out. Did you notice any grease splatter around the fender or anywhere parallel to the CV axle boots?
Or, it could be the ware bar on the brakes, or the dust shield that got bent. Or maybe you are missing a fastener for one of the heat shields.
Sometimes giving parts a wiggle test can lead you the problem.
If you think its the tie rods give that a good wiggle.

·
Registered
2010 Forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome,
Usually a tapping metallic sound is the CV axles on their way out. Did you notice any grease splatter around the fender or anywhere parallel to the CV axle boots?
Or, it could be the ware bar on the brakes, or the dust shield that got bent. Or maybe you are missing a fastener for one of the heat shields.
Sometimes giving parts a wiggle test can lead you the problem.
If you think its the tie rods give that a good wiggle.
Thanks for the suggestions. When I replaced the control arms, I saw the cv boots are worn but not torn and not losing grease. They and the stabilizer bar mount bushings are on my list for the not too distant future. I’m going to crawl back under tomorrow to have another look and see if anything that shouldn’t be is moving around. Fingers crossed that I find something with an easy fix.

·
Registered
2010 Forester x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I once had a broken front strut coil spring. The broken piece would rattle around in the strut while driving. I had a fun time finally figuring out where the noise was coming from.
I once had a broken front strut coil spring. The broken piece would rattle around in the strut while driving. I had a fun time finally figuring out where the noise was coming from.
The deeper I get into this, the more I think it’s something like you had just rattling around somewhere it doesn’t belong. It doesn’t seem to impact performance but not knowing is driving me crazy. Adding broken strut spring to my list of things to checkiut. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts