Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So I was driving home from a long road trip and I opened the driver side window to get some fresh air. When I tried to close it the window seemed it would not catch the groove or slide back into place, rather, slightly pulled a bit outside the track and you could still hear the wind noise and see a tiny gap at the top window seal. It took me like 15 times trying to close the window... opening it a bit then shut it to try and get it to all the way shut. Since I was traveling at highway speeds (100 kms) I know it was due to the wind pulling the window out but I don't recall this ever being a problem on my 2007 Hyundai Elantra!??

Anyone ever had this happen? I think it's only been 3 months since I bouth this car. I guess this would be a dealer fix but really sucks that this would happen so soon after buying?

Thanks in advance.

D.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
When I bought my 09 the service manager gave me the rundown on how he ran his dept: what sort of service required appointmnet, what qualified for a loaner car, etc. Then he said "But if there's some kind of emergency--like if a window falls off its track--just bring it right in and we'll take care of it."
I doubt it's a Subaru-specific problem. But I'm sure your dealer will take care of it ASAP.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought my 09 the service manager gave me the rundown on how he ran his dept: what sort of service required appointmnet, what qualified for a loaner car, etc. Then he said "But if there's some kind of emergency--like if a window falls off its track--just bring it right in and we'll take care of it."
I doubt it's a Subaru-specific problem. But I'm sure your dealer will take care of it ASAP.
Steve
09 2.5X AT
Well, I took it to the dealer and got the dreaded response.... "Your window is normal and there is no problem"

I told them that it happened several times on my way home from my last business trip....I got the other typical response "Keep your eye on it and see if it happens again, then maybe we will take it out for a test drive and possibly take the panels off to see if something is loose".

Not happy.

Grrr.

D.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT CVT
48 Posts
I had that problem a while back, when the wind was strong and I was on the highway, both my front windows would stop just short of closing fully.

Just shortly after, I noticed the front windows would shift sideways with a thunk when I had them open from a non-closed position, and they had a harder time closing than before.

Took it to the dealer for maintenance, and they "adjusted both window regulators", and they now slide perfectly, and I haven't had any problem since.

Not that I've had many more strong winds on the highway since, but I'm assuming it's worked.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added Video

Hey There,

So I made a quick video for the service dept at my Subaru dealership with proof of this problem. I haven't heard back yet but I thought I would share this video with you. I believe this is a problem with EVERY 2010 Subaru Forester. Here is the description of the problem:

- If there is a fairly strong cross-wind blowing from "right to left" while you are driving at highway speeds and you open your driver side front window the air pressure pulls the window out so that the window cannot close at the very top.

- If the cross-wind is blowing "left to right" while driving at highway speeds and you open your front passenger window the air pressure pulls the window out so that the window cannot close at the very top.

Back seat windows are not affected by this.

Here is the link to the video:

When I recorded this video the cross-wind was pretty strong...maybe 35km/h+ or more. My speeds were 115-120km/hr when I first produced this problem and had to slow down to 90km/h to be able to shut the window.

This won't happen at slower speeds or if there is no cross-wind BUT will happen consistently and every time if there is. Maybe this is a safety problem?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

D.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Hmmm.... I don't know if I have that problem because I never roll down the window at that speed....... in a cross wind. In fact, I never roll down my windows while driving.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.... I don't know if I have that problem because I never roll down the window at that speed....... in a cross wind. In fact, I never roll down my windows while driving.
Yes, but during summer months I like to have my windows rolled down a bit for fresh air. If the windows were open before heading on a highway you would be in trouble. It's a strange problem for sure.... but none of my past cars ever had this issue.

D.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I've never really come across strong crosswinds but I regularly roll my windows up and down at highway speeds (for me that's around 75-80mph) without any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts