Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm finally car shopping...gonna trade in (or sell) the 200,000+ 2004 Forester XT pretty soon. I'm considering either another Forester or the new Legacy- either way, I'm getting the Pearl White (which happens to be in stock at my dealership in both models right now!!). Maybe I should be on the Legacy forum but from reading these threads the last couple of months I know that many of you out there own both cars.

So, my question is, will I get the same performance in snowy conditions with both the Legacy and the Forester? If not,what's the difference - other than the depth of the snow. And, if I get the Legacy, which comes with Bridgestone tires I think, is it necessary to upgrade to better ones? I don't need the towing capacity of the Forester or the storage area - that's why I'm leaning towards the Legacy. So I'm, once again, looking to you guys for your thoughts.

Teresa

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Hey Teresa, I'll chime in. I don't have a Legacy, just the FOZ, but I would think that you may get better handling in the snow from the Legacy. I say this thinking that the Legacy is Subaru's Lux model/vehicle. It should weigh more than the Forester which in snowy conditions helps...to a point. Subaru's all have the Symmetrical AWD so all should perform the same with regard to traction. I am not sure of the ground clearance on the legacy which may/probably be not as good as the forester. Since you do not need the cargo space or offroading capabilities of the Forester the Legacy should do just fine in bad (rain, snow, mud) weather conditions and what you have become accustomed to. As I said earlier I do not have the Legacy....I'm just thinking logically. Best of luck with your new ride......which ever one it is.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
If you don't need the storage, Legacy would be my choice. The only time you will need difference in handling capability in averse weather, it will be caused by the clearance.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
The Legacy would have less belly clearance in deep snow, but would be more fun and less tippy on twisty roads because it is lower than the Foz. I recall that you drive a lot of miles and assume you're looking at the Legacy with the CVT? If so, you are also likely to gain some gas mileage, which you will appreciate forever and ever, especially if gas kicks back up to $4 per gallon...

Good luck with your decision. I don't know which Bridgestones come on the Legacy but would assume that they'll be just fine. In heavy winter conditions you would be better off with dedicated snow tires on either vehicle.

Even though this is a Forester forum, I think most of us are secure enough to realize that the Foz is not the best all around vehicle for every person in every situation and if you don't need the cargo space of the Foz (or the Outback), the Legacy will definitely be a great car for you.

Hell, if mileage is really, really important and you don't really need the AWD, I'd even tell you to take a look at a Honda Civic. My wife loves hers and keeps getting gas mileage readings of 34-36 mpg (and her round trip commute is 86 miles)...

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
The Legacy would have less belly clearance in deep snow, but would be more fun and less tippy on twisty roads because it is lower than the Foz. I recall that you drive a lot of miles and assume you're looking at the Legacy with the CVT? If so, you are also likely to gain some gas mileage, which you will appreciate forever and ever, especially if gas kicks back up to $4 per gallon...

Good luck with your decision. I don't know which Bridgestones come on the Legacy but would assume that they'll be just fine. In heavy winter conditions you would be better off with dedicated snow tires on either vehicle.

Even though this is a Forester forum, I think most of us are secure enough to realize that the Foz is not the best all around vehicle for every person in every situation and if you don't need the cargo space of the Foz (or the Outback), the Legacy will definitely be a great car for you.

Hell, if mileage is really, really important and you don't really need the AWD, I'd even tell you to take a look at a Honda Civic. My wife loves hers and keeps getting gas mileage readings of 34-36 mpg (and her round trip commute is 86 miles)...

George
I agree if millage is something of importance and AWD is just nice option to have, i would go with a civic ;) bullet prove cars, and awesome at the pomp ;)

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
I'd add that you get two different transmission choices with the Legacy--either a 6 speed manual or a CVT. The Forester has a 5MT or a 4 spd automatic. If you are opting for the automatic, you might want to drive it (the CVT) and see if you like it. That isn't a slam...I've never even been in one. The Legacy interior photos looks like is has a coolant temperature gauge, something the my Forester lacks.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... I'm considering either another Forester or the new Legacy-... will I get the same performance in snowy conditions with both the Legacy and the Forester?... I don't need the towing capacity of the Forester or the storage area - that's why I'm leaning towards the Legacy...
Performance in snow depends on the depth and the tires. The Forester has more clearance and more aggressive all-season tires. The Legacy has less clearance, and less aggressive all-season tires.

The Legacy will be a quieter and more comfortable driving car, with a wider range of engines and transmissions to chose from (4-cyl with 5-sp manual or CVT, 4-cyl turbo with 6-sp manual, 6-cyl with automatic). The current Legacy is also larger and more spacious than before.

If you don't need the roof rack and cargo and towing capacities of the Forester, and don't go off-road or in deep snow, I think one of the Legacy models would suit you better.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
IMO the new legacy is probably subaru's best model. Tons of engine/transmission choices, all of which are better than whats available in the forester. Better gas mileage. I'd definitely look at the legacy and outback before the forester. Also the interior is imo much nicer.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...I knew you'd be honest. I did look at the Civic last year. It's a really nice car and spacious enough for me on the inside, but when I drove it last year and pulled up in the rain next to a truck...I felt way too small. Also, I've read that they're not great in the snow, although maybe with snow tires it'd be better. I think I'd prefer the security of the all wheel drive. Here in Rhode Island, we do get our fair share of snow. Although, tonight we're having heavy heavy rain which is going to cause lots of flooding. Will the Legacy be just as good in the rain too? Probably I guess..

I may be purchasing by the end of the week since they had both cars on the lot. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone.

Teresa

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
...Will the Legacy be just as good in the rain too? Probably I guess..
Good luck with your choice. Are you looking at the Legacy with the CVT? That should get you better gas mileage than the Foz.

The only downside of the Legacy in the rain is the car-like ground clearance, so it won't go thru a foot of water as easily as the Foz. Whenever we have heavy rain, I figure if any normal car can go thru a puddle without drowning, I can easily follow it through that same puddle with either my Foz or my big Ford van.

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I was looking at the Legacy with the CVT. But I was a little nervous about the ground clearance in both the snow and rain. It is nice knowing you can pretty much go through anything. If I go with the Forester (still considering it), I won't get the turbo so that should save me some gas mileage too...no premium fuel and I believe you get more MPG than with the turbo. On the one hand, I'm looking forward to a more soothing ride with the Legacy..but, I'll miss my HUGE moonroof and being secure about driving through just about anything.

I'm afraid I'll never be able to make a decision!!! I was thinking of purchasing by the end of the month...to get the 2.9% financing. Does anyone know whether this will be carried over into April?

Teresa

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
348 Posts
Yes, I was looking at the Legacy with the CVT. But I was a little nervous about the ground clearance in both the snow and rain. It is nice knowing you can pretty much go through anything. If I go with the Forester (still considering it), I won't get the turbo so that should save me some gas mileage too...no premium fuel and I believe you get more MPG than with the turbo. On the one hand, I'm looking forward to a more soothing ride with the Legacy..but, I'll miss my HUGE moonroof and being secure about driving through just about anything.

I'm afraid I'll never be able to make a decision!!! I was thinking of purchasing by the end of the month...to get the 2.9% financing. Does anyone know whether this will be carried over into April?

Teresa
Have you think about the Outback, It's basically the same car as a Legacy, and it was jacked up, so it got good ground clearance...

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... with the Legacy... I'll miss my HUGE moonroof and being secure about driving through just about anything....
The Legacy will drive through just about anything that you will encounter, unless you need to go offroad or through deep snow.
Edit: Cars101.com gives these ground clearances for 2010: Legacy 5.9", Forester 8.7".
Both have the same secure AWD, but the Legacy will handle better being a sedan rather than a tall SUV.
The Legacy is available with a normal-sized moonroof which no doubt has more reliability than the huge but often troublesome moonroof in the Forester.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
The Legacy will drive through just about anything that you will encounter, unless you need to go offroad or through deep snow.
Both have the same secure AWD, but the Legacy will handle better being a sedan rather than a tall SUV.
The Legacy is available with a normal-sized moonroof which no doubt has more reliability than the huge but often troublesome moonroof in the Forester.
I agree on the handling--I think you're more likely to benefit from the lower center of gravity day in and day out. It's not often that any of us have to drive through deep water. And with the AWD, the Legacy will be better than 98% of cars in the snow anyway.

Of course, if you choose the Forester, I don't think anyone here will have any issues with that choice either. I chose the Forester over an Outback in large part because the driver's seat in the Foz was perfect for my bad back, and if the seats had been reversed, I'd be driving an Outback. So do pay attention to the ergonomics as well. See if you can get an extended test drive in both vehicles and see how they fit you.

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know...I love that ginormous moonroof. And on a day like today, I'm glad I still have the Forester...due to all the flooding. But then, how often do days like this occur?

I'm still undecided and either have to make a decision by tomorrow or take my chances next month on the financing. Also wondering still what the new Forester will be like...and when it will show up in the showroom. Still don't know...

Teresa

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
I agree on the handling--I think you're more likely to benefit from the lower center of gravity day in and day out. It's not often that any of us have to drive through deep water....
Cars101.com gives these dimensions for 2010:
Legacy 5.9" ground clearance and 59.3" roof height.
Forester 8.7" ground clearance and 65.9" roof height without rails.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
I don't need the towing capacity of the Forester or the storage area - that's why I'm leaning towards the Legacy.
Teresa
Legacy has more storage capacity than the Forester.

If the new Legacy had been out when I was buying it would have been my choice.

Having said that the XT is cheap way to get some reasonable performance (a turbo Legacy where I am is big money compared to the Foz XT)

Do you want/need the off road ability of the Foz ?

If not go the Legacy, it is better on the hard stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
Legacy has more storage capacity than the Forester.....

??? The Legacy wagon does not come to the US, so the only option is either the Legacy sedan or the Outback (which is a Legacy wagon with the SUV costume) and I don't think Teresa is looking at the Outback, though... So the US Foz has more storage than the US Legacy.

George

1 - 20 of 37 Posts