Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5xpremium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am familiar with traditional manual transmission although I have not driven one is years and never a car with a sport shift mod. I use to just shift by sound. I traded in my 2000 forester and just bought 2010 2.5x forester. I have been playing around with what rpms to shift at when in sport mod. About where should I shift when driving sensible and what rpms when I get on it?

I have done

1-2 2000, 2-3 3500, 3-4 4000

1-2 3000/3500, 2-3 4000/4500, 3-4 4500/5500

I just want a rough idea to start from

Thanks for any feed back.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
well that's tough to say... there isnt much advantage to revving the N/A's out beyond 4500, you just get more noise than anything else.
If you want sensible driving, just don't bother switching it to Sport Mode on the shifter. The transmission does a pretty good job of shifting at the most optimal RPMs.

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
On my 2009 the only time I use the "sportshift" is if/when I'm stopped in a mudhole I'll SS into "1" and power out of it.
Other than that it's just an NA/AT and I've never seen any gains over just letting it shift by itself.

Unclviny

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5xpremium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally I would just use the regular mod, but sport shift is new, so I am just playing around.

I agree it just seems to make more noise when I go past 4000.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I am familiar with traditional manual transmission although I have not driven one is years and never a car with a sport shift mod. I use to just shift by sound. I traded in my 2000 forester and just bought 2010 2.5x forester. I have been playing around with what rpms to shift at when in sport mod. About where should I shift when driving sensible and what rpms when I get on it?

I have done

1-2 3000/3500, 2-3 4000/4500, 3-4 4500/5500

I just want a rough idea to start from

Thanks for any feed back.
We love the sport shift for here in the high country.. We are always going up or down steep grades.. The nice thing is it stays in the gear you put it in no matter what the load.. But will shift down if you get to slow for the gear.. For us most of the time we shift at about 3000.. But some times pull steep grades in 2nd gear at 4000 or so when pulling one of our trailers.. Like others said getting it over 4500 really does not help much..

Another nice thing about sport shift is when out on the flat highway at speed and you want to pass it will not shift down when you step on it.. So gets rid of all those down shifts each time you step down on the gas.

One way to find out how Subaru does the shifts is just put it over into sport and leave it alone.. You will note how it shifts later giving you some idea how Subaru does the shifts for Sport..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
I also heard with the sport shift/sport mode the power to the wheels is put at a 50/50 split.... compared to the typical 60/40 on economy driving.

·
Registered
2011 WRX
144 Posts
I've noticed that my forester in sport mode will rev all the way to redline then shift, but if I try to do that by hand, it'll skip shift to 3rd. Also, half to 3/4 throttle gives the best performance. WOT does nothing but bog the engine for some reason. It almost seems like a turbo motor: power doesn't come on until about 3500 rpms... LOL, even so, I like shifting at 5000 in first, then whatever speed I need to get to I shift then...ie, if need 55 or 60mph, shift at 5000 in 2nd then skip to 4th and cruise it. I get 25mpg's regularly in mixed driving. ;) Guess it's a result of Farfegnugen from my GTi days...rev that baby up!!! I just wish it(the forester) had a better engine sound, it'd make up for the lack of soul.(bottom and high end)

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Normally I would just use the regular mod, but sport shift is new, so I am just playing around.

I agree it just seems to make more noise when I go past 4000.
The response to your question is that..........it depends on what type of driving are you doing at a point in time. If you are having fun and trying to zip around or if you are climbing a hill or going down steep grades. The SST has many uses and will make most driving situations more enjoyable. The SST is something you have to play around with until you get comfortable with it, and then you will know what to do with it in any situation. I have had the SST on my last 4 auto vehicles and will not buy a vehicle without it, thats unless I get a stick! There are several threads here on the MY09 SST......take a look. It's the same for the MY10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts