Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester PZEV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the dealer for alignment.

Rear Camber is off and at the limit of tolerance.

Is this typical?

Is this a big deal?

Seems like the rear camber is not adjustable?

Thanks
PS. Sorry for the question - am not a car expert.

PPS. My subaru now finally has All terrain tires. Just need to find a bad dirt road :)

·
Registered
2010 Forester auto
19 Posts
This is fairly common. There is a lateral arm that runs from the chassis to the end of the hub where the brake and wheel are hanging. This is call the 'lower control arm'. It has a bushing in it made of hard rubber, with a cylinder in the middle so that the suspension can move up and down.

Over time and mileage, this bushing wears, and it commonly allows the camber to stretch out at the bottom. It is a fairly big deal, but many cars out there are at or past the limit and still driving.

The solution is to replace either the bushing, or the control arm with the bushing in it.

At rockauto.com, I can see that there are replacement control arms that do have an adjustment. This is often done with an offset bolt, or offset ring washer that allows the centering of the bolt in the chassis to adjust. I am NOT recommending this, and your dealer will not install them, but you might consider taking your car to an independent shop and ask them about the aftermarket adjustable control arms from rockauto.com. They are made by Moog, and Ultra-Power. Again, not a recommendation, but it is a viable solution. I have used them on Mini-Cooper, and also on a Mitsubishi in the past with similar issue.

Keeping the camber within spec is worth the time as it will maintain proper driving condition and also less wear on tires, and bearings. Also, if you tow, and the current suspension is loose, this will contribute to trailer sway significantly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts