Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 Forester - OEM Aero Crossbars + Thule Ascent 1600?

Hi All,

I need to get a roof box for an upcoming trip (can't leave the golf clubs behind)... I was looking at picking up the OEM Aero bars and a Thule Ascent 1600. I was hoping someone could confirm that there is no mounting issues with a box that size and the Aero bars. From the looks of it, the mounting end of each Aero bar has a bit of plastic on it that prevents mounting things too close to the edge of the rack... I'm wondering if that will cause an issue with a roof box?

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
If you go with the aero bars i'm fairly certain you'll be fine since the Ascent 1600 is 33 inches wide and the clamps are probably only like 25 inches apart. I would just order it without even worrying because i would be highly surprised if it didn't fit.

Will you be leaving the aero bars on your car permanently then? Or just when you use this box?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm thinking we'll leave the aero bars on. We do a bit of cycling and it will be handy get to bikes up on the roof (when the box isn't there of course). In the winter, the box might stay on for ski/snowboard trips.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
You may want to consider the Thule 450R Rapid Crossroads instead if you've got a little extra money to play with.

They are locking, for one thing, but also they likely have a bit more strength than the OEM aero bars, yet they shouldn't be any noisier. When I picked up my '01 a few months ago I straight away replaced the OEM crossbars with Thule because I've seen more than 1 customer with cracked OEM bars on their car.

Plus, I leave my bike rail on the car at all times, locked to the crossbars, none of the Subaru OEM bike stuff or crossbars have lock provisions.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the 450R footings with 47" rapid x-bars and locks. :)

Ordered the Ascent 1600 also. orsracksdirect.com had 10% Thule stuff, free shipping on everything but the box, and an additional 10% off with coupon code "thule10". I had to pull the trigger!

I figured with the longer 47" bars, I will have more options in the future. And, it will be slightly easier to carry 4x8 sheets of material if need be.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Good move!

Oh I should have mentioned this before, but did you buy locks? If so, how many? The idea is to get as many locks at one time as you think you'll ever need, so that one key fits everything. They sell them in different sized packs.

On my crossbars, I only put one lock on each bar, thinking that would be a good enough deterrent, although you can put one on each end of each bar if you want extra security. And then I have matching lock on my bike rail. And one left over for when I get a cargo pod this spring.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a 4-pack of locks for the bars. I guess I can use all 4 for now (544's).

Perhaps another way of thinking is it would be ideal to have as many different types of locks on there to annoy the thief. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got all the bits on. The box is great. It's huge! No more running out of space on road trips. The bars whistle a little, but I can barely hear it with the roof panel closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Looks good. If the bar whistle gets to you after a while, a Thule fairing will pretty much eliminate it. And give you slightly better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
Thule aero bar

I just purchased 2010 forester limited - thinking of getting thule 450r with bar; it it at all noisy with bar? Want to get bars/foot primarily for asthetic reasons.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
I am also an owner of a new 2010 Forester X, We do a little bit of kayaking and I have the Malone kayak supports, which worked fine on the Outback(05) that I traded in. Looking at the Aero crossbars (small in add picture) they look just like the Outback ones, so I decided to order some. I also used the roof rack on the Outback to haul various lengths and numbers of boards , Hardwood, worked out fine. Like so many things, I may be ok or not on this. Will know soon.

I used ( abused ) the crossover bars on the Outback a lot..hope the new ones do at least that good,

eric

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
I just purchased 2010 forester limited - thinking of getting thule 450r with bar; it it at all noisy with bar? Want to get bars/foot primarily for asthetic reasons.
You potentially will hear a noise sounding kinda like someone blowing on a beer bottle. In the newer, quieter Subarus, some people don't notice this, others do. If you do notice, a fairing will get rid of it and give you slightly better fuel mileage- plus if you're buying the racks for asthetic reasons, the fairing will add to your intended look, I imagine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, forgot to check back in on this thread. Yes, I can hear the bars. It's a little whistely. I'm thinking it's the channel on the underside of the bars. I think I'll try to cover it and see what happens. Other than that, I love the bars and box.

·
Registered
2011 forester manual
6 Posts
I also have the 1600 box and love it. We have even used it on our 07 yaris. (It looks a lot better on the Forester)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts