Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1974 VW
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all,
Just joined and am very close to buying a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual. I'm wondering if it is worth waiting for the different engine with the chain-driven DOHC rather than the current belt driven SOHC? Is this an important enough change to warrant waiting the next 3 months?

The 2.5L engine is upgraded to a chain-driven double overhead cam DOHC (replacing belt driven SOHC) with slightly more power at lower RPMs, 175 torque at 4100rpm (10s are 170 at 4400), and 1mpg better fuel economy to 21/27 for manual and 4 spd automatic."
Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
The real question is: Can you wait?
We couldn't wait because we needed a second car now. So we bought a 2010 Sport-Tech (Canadian model).

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
186 Posts
There is another question -- do you want a new engine in the first year. The only subaru I ever had (of 7) that used oil was a year they went to a new cam arrangement -- it took them the first year to get the valve seals right on that head design.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
I tend to agree with k2ue. Is 1 mpg and 4 lb-ft of torque worth being a guinea pig? Not to mention the price increase. For the savings (deal) you may get on a left over 2010 model vs. buying a 2011, it would take the life time of the car to earn back the difference with the 1mpg fuel savings.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I got the impression that the new NA version might be a bit better head design with regard to the head gaskets and of course timing chains are better than belts so it might be worth rolling the dice on the redesign.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
If I would not be in rush I would get the 2011.

·
Registered
1974 VW
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you want a new engine in the first year?
worth being a guinea pig?
Yeah, hard to argue with that. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for a deal on the leftover 2010.

Another question: Is it better ( read cheaper... or non OEM ) to buy the rubber mats with the new car or wait and get it from a different source?

·
Registered
2010 Forester M5 M5
126 Posts
I have base M5, couldn't ask for a better all purpose toy, 24-29 mpg now, but only 20 mpg pulling to boat with a full car last weekend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going to take my time. I was looking at 2010 or used 2007/8, but I'd like to see technical details on the new engine for 2011 before making up my mind. It can also take years for problems to crop up in a new engine design. I would guess that we won't know for sure if the 2011 engine fixes all the problems of the current design for at least 2-3 years. Anyways, nothing in the press release indicates that the new engine has radically new technology... the K24 in my Honda Accord is a DOHC chain driven design that goes back 10 years. I remember older Subarus used a DOHC setup in the past.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
Forest, first of all, welcome to the forum from another Oregonian!

The mats are usually the first thing I change when I get a new vehicle but being that I just purchased a '10 with the all weather package, it came with somewhat decent mats. They're certainly not weathertech quality, but I haven't had any complaints as of yet... I think I'll keep them for awhile. With our weather, I wouldn't even take the carpeted mats out of the package. My first upgrade was adding Rally Armor mud flaps to protect from rock chips and dirt up the sides of the vehicle.

If you don't get the all weather mats standard with your configuration, have them throw them in for free to seal the deal.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
When I bought my '09 last June I got a good price and 3.9% for 63 months because the car was holdover. Best deal I could get on a 2010 was 5.9% and "invoice" which was nearly $1,500 more than the '09. Go for the deal on the 2010.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Base Model
303 Posts
Don't wait for the new one. There enough of a difference between the motors... do new direct injection. And most importantly NO DIESEL yet... So you aren't going to suffer much of a sacrifice buying the 2010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts