Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... First post here, but I've been following for a few months. I wanted to get some opinions/advice and hear if anyone else has/had an experience like mine with their Forester.

In March, I bought a 2010 Forester XT Limited which I was excited about. But then the craftsmanship problems began.

Within a few minutes after leaving the dealer the rattles started with the passenger door. It was taken back and fixed (thanks to one of the posts on here detailing how to fix the rattle in the baffle). But then the floodgates opened. A constant rattle when the sunroof was open, the button housing for the rear sear recliner fell out, the right front window wouldn't roll up on its own, the left mirror would warp in cooler weather, the middle dome light was out, the left front speaker by the window fell off its mount, the rear seats where they connect to the car creek and pop, the felt in the cargo floor kept coming up, a rattle developed inside the left rear wheel well, a new continuous rattle started in the rear of the sunroof when closed this time, dashboard rattles, and several other similar issues all throughout the car.

Long story short, it has been in for repair a half dozen times with many of the above problems still occurring after all these visits to the dealer. They cannot pinpoint the rattles on their short test drive because they're occasionally intermittent, despite me telling them exactly where they're occurring. I've met with a SOA regional rep, who was of very little help in getting this fixed or replaced. I've been talking to their corporate offices, written letters, and finally recently contacted a lemon law attorney. I have not officially hired the attorney because I'm still trying to work with Subaru on this to either get things fixed or replaced fairly, rather than against them, but my patience is starting to wear thin after four months. New cars are not supposed to be falling apart like this or plaguing the driver with constant interior noise.

Looking back at my $30K mistake, I obviously should of got an Outback, as the loaner ones they have let me drive have been rock solid, quiet and a pleasure to drive. Then I get my car back and the aggravation continues. So, the questions: Has anyone had to deal with anything like this? And if so, did you ever get a lemon law attorney involved and what is that process like? I'm hoping to avoid the legal route because I'm sure that'll add to the stress, but Subaru's customer service has failed up to this point.

The California lemon law (where it was purchased) states that if the car has been in 4+ times for repair, the customer is entitled to a 100% refund from the manufacturer in addition to them having to pay all legal fees. My car has been in about a half dozen times with no complete resolution. I have formally requested a full refund, which I have not yet heard back about yet. From reading other posts, it doesn't sound like they willingly issue complete refunds so easily, but my plan is to get money back (however much that may be) and get an Outback since I am still partial to the Subaru brand despite this hiccup. Just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of others as I proceed with this headache.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
.A vehicle can be termed a "Lemon" if it has a defect which cannot be repaired by the manufacturer, agent, or authorized dealer after four attempts and this defect significantly reduced it's usability and market value. Lemon law covers a wide range of automobile defects. Defects such as a problem with the engine or vehicle brake system, water leaks, inhibitions felt is the usage of the vehicle's steering wheel all come under the defects covered by Lemon law.
Sorry to hear about your problems and welcome to the group. I really don't think rattles are covered under the lemon law though since they don't affect usability or significantly reduce market value. FWIW my passenger windows has never gone up by itself either, my rear recline button cover has fallen off a few times, it just pops back in and its simple to do. I dont drive with the sunroof open so i cant help there, but am pretty sure it says not to drive with it open more then 1/2 way in the manual, theres a switch on the middle interior light that controls its function yours might be in the off position. Fianally if you search this forum you can probably find out how to simply fix most of the rattles you have yourself.. Good luck..

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
As near as I can tell, they've fixed all complaints but intermittent rattles. Putting myself in the dealer's shoes, I'd probably think you're not going to be a happy camper, no matter what they do.
With my 2004 FXT, I made a concerted effort to maintain good rapport with the dealer, and had satisfactory dealer responses to my complaints. You've gotten off on the wrong foot.
With your decision to go with another model, you'd probably be best off going to a different dealer (this time with a more positive attitude), and trade in the 2010 FXT on your desired alternative.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry, but you did ask for opinions at large...
-Quick

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Heres the page from the manual about use of sunroof

·
Registered
2010 2.5x special edition
49 Posts
Problems

We've had our 2010 for several months, never had one rattle, nothing has fallen off, only complaint was nothing was in the tool bag.(apparently nothing was supposed to be in the tool bag) Our car most have been built on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday when all the workers were there. lol

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
No problems here at all except for the rattle in the front doors. My 12" sub and 300 watts going into it has had a lot to do with that though! Plus, like you said, we all know the white waffle things on the doors rattle and as soon as I Dynamat that will be a distant memory. The roof is perfect. Sorry you're having such issues but it really sounds like you may just like the Outback better so now's probably a good time to trade.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
hope this is not first-last post...

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
last week the lumbar button stopped working on my seat. I am CONSTANTLY adjusting the seat as I've yet to find a comfortable spot after two months of ownership, and I figured I'd burned it out using it so much. Well it started working again today. I dont know what happened to stop it or start it, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
My $18K Forester hasn't had the rattle problem, except for a day or two. There was this "clunk" sound coming from the left door, and then I realized that it was the can of bug spray I had left in the door compartment rolling left/right when turning on the road :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the opinions, suggestions, and all the info!

Quicksilver, I have actually had a very positive experience with my dealer thus far. My service advisor has been wonderful and caring in trying to solve the problems for me. A few people on the phone have been very friendly and seemed to want to help. The rep was less sympathetic. Combine that with a several instances where the dealer's service mechanics caused damage during repair (didn't mention that above). And the several issues not fixed yet, I as a customer have got a bit frustrated with the situation and would like it resolved asap. My initial post made it sound like most of the problems were past tense, when in fact most are still persistent. I apologize for the confusion.

When the Forester is quiet and holding together, I'll admit, it's awesome to drive. However, in driving their loaner Outback, it felt to me that they're built more solid. Those of you who say you haven't heard a peep from your Foresters, I wish I knew what that was like and I'm sure I'd love the car every bit as much as you. It's kind of like a leaky sink that wont stop dripping. Eventually you just have to replace the sink or turn up the music if the repair guy can't get it to stop.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
I had an 03 XS and 04 XT Forester. Loved them both, both had more rattles than any car I've ever owned, and with the XT costing around 29K, more rattles than a car in that price range was entitled to have.

That being said the XT was so much fun to drive, I fixed the most annoying rattles, and ignored the minor ones.

Shortly after I got my 03 XS, my wife got an 03 OBW. Differences in build quality were obvious to the eye and to the ear.

Currently we're both driving 08 OBW's, hers a base model and mine being a Ltd. Boring as hades to drive, but after almost 41000 miles of New England driving, ie. pot hole heaven, her's has nary a rattle. Mine's sitting at 31k, and also is rattle free. My commute is actually the more road abusive of the two.

Can't attest to the quietness of the 2010 OB's over time but they certainly seem as quiet when new.

If only I needed anything that big, but thats another issue.

Onr thing I disagree with, whether or not the Lemon Law covers it, is that rattles don't affect a car's value. Maybe not on paper but if I test drive a quiet car vs a rattle trap, all other things being equal the rattle trap is worth a LOT less to me. Opinions vary of course, and some people are more annoyed by rattles than others.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
^Hey now... they're not boring to drive, you just have to approach the driving differently from the Forester. :raspberry: 400lb weight difference between the two. My OBW is rock solid and quiet... except for the aftermarket exhaust. :lol: That 400lbs is probably all in sound deadening and rattle fixes.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
If my 2004 was totaled or something I would not buy a 2009+ Forester. I would be looking at a Toyota Rav4 V6 5spd auto if I wanted to stay smaller, or a 4Runner if I wanted something with Low Range.

I would still consider an older Forester as a project car or something, probably trying to go 2000 or 2004 again if possible. The 5 speed really is fun to drive. I'm gonna keep mine as long as I can.

I don't really like the 4 speed Subaru auto, especially with the 90-10 FWD driving feel.

I would much rather have a H6 than a Turbo and a 5spd auto than a CVT so I don't see Subaru having anything I really like anytime soon. On top of that they no longer have beige interior or a true green color like I like in a Forester either.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
My 2010 has an intermittent rattle that drives me crazy. It probably just went three weeks without it and there it was the other night but gone the next day. It does it on rough asphalt or brick streets at extremely low speeds. I can't be sure (wife no help) but it seems to be in front of me but I cannot definitely say that is where it is coming from . I asked a service manager if he'd had any other complaints but nada. There is no sense scheduling an appointment if it is quite! I don't have a moon roof, just a base model. He did check his bulletins and there was one for the door pillars. I'll try to see if that is it next time.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
The California lemon law (where it was purchased) states that if the car has been in 4+ times for repair, the customer is entitled to a 100% refund from the manufacturer in addition to them having to pay all legal fees. My car has been in about a half dozen times with no complete resolution. I have formally requested a full refund, which I have not yet heard back about yet. From reading other posts, it doesn't sound like they willingly issue complete refunds so easily, but my plan is to get money back (however much that may be) and get an Outback since I am still partial to the Subaru brand despite this hiccup. Just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of others as I proceed with this headache.
Subaru will follow whatever the lemon-law in California states. If that is a 100% refund, then that is what they will have to do. The reason we hear of stories where the lemon-laws aren't followed are cases in which people do not follow through and actually file a lawsuit under the lemon-laws.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts