Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Everyone,

I have install the U-Haul Class III 4000lbs Hitch and it's a 2" Receiver. It cost me $338 total with the tow kit (ball and mount) ,installation, tax in the U-Haul center at Coralville, IA. The manager is nice there. It take about 3 hours because he was the only one in the shop, so sometimes he have to go to front to serve customer. As a saw the manager install it, it's pretty much the same process as the Curt Hitch thread posted here. The trickly part would be the wiring. I think this is a good option for people who are lazy(like me), don't have the proper tool or experience to do something like this. I'm going to haul a U-Haul tomorrow. BTW, I'm a first time tow anything, is there anything I should have and beware of. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm a first time tow anything, is there anything I should have and beware of.
The new hitch's 4,000 lb rating does not change Subaru's rating for their vehicle. For example, ref pages 8-17 and -18 of the '09 Forester manual:
Subaru's max tow rating for the Forester is 2,400 lbs for a trailer with brakes, and 1,000 lbs for a trailer w/out brakes. Ensure that the trailer tongue load is from 8 to 11 percent of the total trailer weight and does not exceed the maximum value of 200 lbs (90 kg).​

Ford Towing Guides contain a lot of useful information; some of it's Ford vehicle specific, some of it's general.

See: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

Examples:

HTH, and good luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I've towed a Uhaul trailer just like that one with my car 450 miles down to So. California. It was completely filled with stuff and probably weighed close to 2,000lbs. I was surprised at how well the car behaved, I had plenty of power passing and going up hills. Just have to brake ahead of time.

Stan

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YAKIMA RailGrab

YAKIMA 48" Crossbar

and

YAKIMA MegaWarrior

I bought the RailGrab at REI and I bought the MegaWarrior from Amazon.com, since REI have to ship them in anyway, so why not go buy from Amazon.com, no tax and free shipping, and I got a $50 gift card over Christmas.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
That U-Haul 2" hitch looks exactly the same as my Curt hitch. Must've been made at the same factory.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,297 Posts
The engine on your XT may have plenty of power to pull 4000 lbs, but can the suspension keep up?

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine on your XT may have plenty of power to pull 4000 lbs, but can the suspension keep up?
Subaru Forester has only 2400lbs towing capacity, I wouldn't tow something 2400lbs but having a 4000lbs hitch give you a stronger hitch and it's 2" not the OEM one 1 1/4" hitch. 2" is much comment on trailer.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
Wow, someone on here in Iowa City. I thought the closest person to me was in Rockford, but Iowa City is only about 45 minutes away from the QC. I'm going to get a hitch just for my bike rack, not to tow anything. Let me know if any Subaru meets happen in the IC/Coralville area.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a lot of people driving Subaru in Iowa City, but mostly either old people, college professor or University staff

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting this hitch (I want the 2" receiver for my bike rack) and just in case I do get a trailer for my atv - which type of electrical connection socket should I go with ? 4 wire, 7 wire? looks like they have 42 flavors at U-Haul..
I didn't see any plug on yours johnny - which did you go with and where did they mount it?

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting this hitch (I want the 2" receiver for my bike rack) and just in case I do get a trailer for my atv - which type of electrical connection socket should I go with ? 4 wire, 7 wire? looks like they have 42 flavors at U-Haul..
I didn't see any plug on yours johnny - which did you go with and where did they mount it?
They wire it under the foam and it's a 4 wire socket, so I can't tow a trailer with brake.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
^I'm missing something here....
Trailer breaks are normally pressure based and not electrical.
If the trailer got breaks. Why would you not be able to pull it?

Edit: Maybe it was the fact that you don't get lights on the trailer..

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think what I have for the socket are all just for lights, and I think I need a extra brake line which connect to the brake system in order to connect to a trailer that has brake, and I don't think the one come with U-Haul has the brake wire done.
This is what I got from U-haul, it's a flat 4 socket

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Ye but that was my point. I don't have any break line for towing trailers. the trailers I towed had breaks but they break because the car breaks that makes the trailer push against the hitch that in turn pushes on the trailer that activates the breaks.
It's like a push and pull system. When the trailer arm gets pushed (car breaking it activates the breaks)
When the car is not breaking it releases the breaks as there is no pushing on the arm.
Maybe it's not how the trailers work over there??

Edit: the only wire I know of is the one to secure the trailer in case it falls off the hitch. So instead of having a trailer running on the side of your car and into the ditch. It will make the trailer scrap along the rear end of the car (Oh ye. That would be a steel wire :biggrin: )

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
It's different in the US- they often have trailer brakes w/ actuating motors inside and sometimes a "g" sensing controller. The system we're used to I believe are referred to as "surge brakes" in the US...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts