Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start her up, why are the taillights on? Are they on all the time with the Daytime Running lights? I spent an hour or so reading the owners manual, but I must have missed this part.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,358 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. :biggrin:

Unless they've changed it on the later models, on my '03 & '07 the tail lights do not come on with the DRL, unless the switch on the stalk is turned to the marking that shows 2 lights facing away from each other. This setting is called the "parking lights, tail lights, license plate light & insrument panel illumination" setting. I always leave the stalk switch in this position, unless I have it switched to head lights. A personal preference... I don't like running the DRL without tail lights. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,686 Posts
IIRC, the battery kill switch that we know so well was abolished with the SH model in 2009.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
10 Posts
Are you starting it remotely? On my '01 (Granted, a decade's difference almost) the parking marker lights come on if I've started it by the remote, but then shut off after I've put the key in and press the brake to put it in gear.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the lights are off when the car is off. I just noticed it today when I started her up, went back inside the house to get my wallet, the taillights were on when i came back outside. It must be something about the start up. If I drive it and don't turn on the lights, the taillights are not on when I get out of the car. We are loving our Forester. We traded in our 2009 RAV4 just in time!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
IIRC, the battery kill switch that we know so well was abolished with the SH model in 2009.
Hoping not to sound dumb here but I do not know about this. I do know on the SH when the vehicle is shut off and the key is removed all power is lost in the vehicle.....except for the door locks. Don't know what else the battery kill switch does but is sounds like the SH still has it. Remember I originally said I didn't want to sound dumb........have pitty. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
No, the lights are off when the car is off. I just noticed it today when I started her up, went back inside the house to get my wallet, the taillights were on when i came back outside. It must be something about the start up. If I drive it and don't turn on the lights, the taillights are not on when I get out of the car. We are loving our Forester. We traded in our 2009 RAV4 just in time!
Just checked out mine...........MY09XT. What you described does not happen. Now if I inadvertently leave the lights on, parking or HL, when I start the vehicle the light will automatically come on. At night I sometimes do not even turn them off........kinda works like auto HL option. As soon as I put the key in the ignition on they come.

BTW........IMHO no question is ever dumb, well unless it isn't asked. :p

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Did you leave the light switch turned "on" the last time you turned off the engine and removed the key? My '09 will turn off the head- and tail lights if the headlamp switch is left on "on" when I turn off the engine and remove the key. And, if the light control switch is left "on", the lights will come on the next time the engine is started.

For the 09's, this operation is described in the owner's manual on page 3-24.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you leave the light switch turned "on" the last time you turned off the engine and removed the key? My '09 will turn off the head- and tail lights if the headlamp switch is left on "on" when I turn off the engine and remove the key. And, if the light control switch is left "on", the lights will come on the next time the engine is started.

For the 09's, this operation is described in the owner's manual on page 3-24.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
I must have done that because when my wife and I went out to eat this evening, the taillights did not come on, just the DRLs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts