Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
This article doesn't mention much about driving. Who cares what this guy says? I'd be surprised if he actually drove these cars.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Boring to look at? Maybe.

Boring to sit in? Possibly.

Boring to drive? Hardly.

The first time I drove one, the non XT version by the way, I scared myself with a few quick maneuvers and when I cut the XT version loose on a fairly sharp curve, my butt was puckering and my passenger looked like they were going to be ill so no, this is not a boring car by a far cry.

Even in the non XT version, whether it is boring or not depends upon the skill of the driver, your destination and route, as well as how far the driver is willing to to push the envelope of sanity while getting there.

There are a lot of vehicles that could be called boring to look at and or sit in, even some sports cars fit into this category but the difference will be in the driver's hands when it comes to how exciting the journey in the Foz happens to be because at the end of the day, the Foz has more than enough agility and power to play, even the NA version, and it will come down to whether or not the driver has any minerals and I bet the wussy calling it boring never did this, lol.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
[snip]While the redesigned model is clearly "better" than the old Forester in terms of performance[snip]
He's got that backwards... the SH generation FXT is certainly no longer the kind of beast that screams from 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and sprints the quarter mile in the 13's off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's why I bought the Forester! I wanted a boring car.

The wife said, any car that I can race or lift and wheel is not a car we are getting.

We needed a utility vehicle that gets good gas mileage, good in the snow(AWD) and that we can haul the kids in, which is exactly what the Forester is. Why try to make it something it's not? I think it's funny that people always try to soup something up or make it something that it's not. I've been guilty of that, as we all have.

Does boring make it a bad car, definetly not. The Forester's lack of power, poor suspension (for off-roading or racing), and lack luster interior make it the ideal middle of the road compromise for every family with 2.5 kids.

low power = better gas mileage and less speeding tickets, plus a reliable engine
poor suspension = a compromise for pot holes and long stretches of asphalt or an occasional dirt road to the camp grounds
lack luster interior = a price point that I can afford, but still has some decent amenities.

I think most of you mis-understood the idea of the article. A lot of the cars in there are good selling cars, made for middle of the road people just like me.

I guess I'm boring.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I think how boring the Foz seems may also depend upon how long you have been around as well because when I look at the Foz, I don't see a boring car, I see a car that, compared to many cars in the past, can easily be considered a stylish design marvel, on par with some of the sporty cars throughout history.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
He's just trying to push buttons and says so right in the beginning, the best way to piss someone off is to call their car boring. It's a personal opinion that can't be substantiated with facts, it can only foster an argument instead. That's why he compares a Honda Pilot to a Cadilliac. Why not compare the Honda Civic to a Lamborghini if it'll get a rise out of someone.. but keep in mind he also says that these vehicles on the list may not be attractive to him, but they "deliver where it counts."

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
The guy said "nurturing big sister." That's not too bad. Nurturing and healing is good.
The Forester is kinda boring in my opinion. But than again, when others are slippin', slidin' and eating crap - the Forester takes on a different appeal. Almost in the realm of "peanuts" envy!

CapeAnn

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
The journalist is calling the 09+ models boring, compared to previous generation Foresters. Everything he said has been said a hundred times or more on this forum, perhaps he cribbed his commentary from some of our threads? Those of us who own the current generation Forester didn't buy it to impress the neighbors or cruise Main St. on Friday night...we bought it to haul people and stuff and drive thru dirt and snow.
Steve
09 2.5X AT
p.s. the "boring" tag has a good effect on my insurance rates...
p.p.s. Did I mention snow???

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
^^ Funny, I've read reviews from people describing driving the DeLorean as slow and boring.

Stan
I remember the first time I rode in one when living in SoCal back in the early 80's and the guy was really proud of it but to me, although the doors were kind of cool and it was sporty for the time I suppose, I didn't really consider it all that so it's all relative and today, it would as you you say, probably be considered boring and slow by many but to some folks, it is still really cool I guess.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
Well, I guess I can't wait to buy a new boring car in 2 months. I think I'll be so bored, that I'll be smiling. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Cool think about the Forester is it's a fun can even though it wasn't really meant to be a performance vehicle. There is so much engineering behind it's drivetrain -- some having proven itself in rally racing -- that it just works out to be a driver's car.

Stan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.