Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Test drove 2010 Forester 2.5X Touring (Canadian model) with 5-spd manual, cause I am a manual-only guy. Found those three pedals on the floor were too close to each other. Hitting the brake, side of my right shoe still touches the gas pedal. Haven't had this problem driving almost ten manual tranny cars of different brands for thirty years. How are all you guys with manual tranny doing? Would it bother me forever or would it take some getting used to?

Also, noticed there was no coolant temp gauge on dash. Is it because they are using the so-called 'Super Coolant' that doesn't require any maintenance for almost like 200,000miles or 10+ years?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Mine is an 07 so it might be different. Pedal placement was fine for me but I have to adjust both brake and clutch adjustment to make it right. The clutch need a clutch stopper (small screw, washer and plastic screw cover from Home Depot) to get proper travel and I have to raise brake pedal quite a bit. The brake pedal could engage a bit lower than gas pedal with OEM adjustment and make it feel the pedal are too close together.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
unless the US model is different I don't have any problems with my '09 2.5x 5spd. Haven't had any issues with hitting both pedals and I have a size US10.5 shoe.

I'm not really sure why they decided to put in a blue light instead of a temp gauge but after a while you won't miss it

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
123 Posts
Hi richardsoh, welcome to the forums... I have the identical model as the one you tested, the MY10 2.5x Touring 5MT. No issue for me with the pedal placement either, you may have to adjust your foot placement to get used to it.. With the coolant light/lack of gauge, it is really only an issue if you are someone who will be driving under load (i.e. towing) or areas where high engine temps may be likely (not usually an issue for Vancouver would be my guess). If those are your strongest concerns, it definitely sounds like you will be a new owner soon! Let us know how it goes..

From the East Coast to the West,
Brian.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
I add the same question when I test drived my 09 X 5MT that the brake and gas pedal were close..

I agree that during winter time it's can be a issue with large boots.. but now it's summer time and I can't complain when wearing normal shoe.

I guess if you have "Large" shoes the pedal will require some adjustement but I driven it for a complete winter and now starting my second summer with my 09 and I can't complain at all now.

No problem with gauge and I tow stuff around for +-2 to 3 hours strait no light show so no problem there.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,831 Posts
I've had my '09 FX 5MT for over 2 years and almost 30k miles. I've got big ol' size 12 feet, and the pedals do not seem unnaturally close to me. The room in the footwells of my '91 BMW 318is (owned this one since 1994) is tighter than the Foz, for sure, to the point where I cannot drive the bimmer with big clodhopper winter boots.

When I do long drives, I tend to wear loafers with thinner soles to maximize my legroom, or give me the ability to drive without shoes when doing a long freeway cruise (wiggling my toes and keeping airflow on my feet also seems to help keep me awake).

So I don't think the Foz is that scaled down in the pedal area, or else I've gotten used to it completely. I've had 15+ cars with sticks over the last 40 years.

Good luck,
George

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
I've had my '09 FX 5MT for over 2 years and almost 30k miles. I've got big ol' size 12 feet, and the pedals do not seem unnaturally close to me.
Same here. Usually happens with my work shoes. However, I do manage to adjust to it, but everyonce in a while I'll hit the brake and notice I'm touching the gas. Haven't had any bad issue or anything...just annoyance.

And no temp gauge. I think the first coolant change is at like 160k mi or something, don't quote me though. There is an indicator light: blue = cold, nothing = normal and red (I assume) = HOT. Man, if those were your only questions about the car, I say dive in!! :Banane17:

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
Manual (US version) with number 12 feet here. I haven't noticed any issues versus my other recent manual cars (they are all manuals). 96 Miata and 96 Maxima. The clutch take-up on all three is different with, IMHO, the Miata being glorious and the Maxima much less so...with the Foz in between.

Having said that, I'll mention that I'm not usually heel and toeing or driving at 9/10's.

I agree...I think we "deserve" a coolant temperature meter. Along with lots of other things. An oil pressure gauge, ammeter (or voltmeter) would be great too. No one listens to me though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts