Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Forester Manual
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with 5 speed manual from Burlington, VT last weekend. Drove it back to Michigan and I LOVE it! Especially the giant sunroof. Owned Honda my entire life and this is the first Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,740 Posts
Welcome to the Subaru family. You bought it in Vermont, yet you live in Michigan. Was it a killer price? Just asking. Enjoy that new Fozzy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
enjoy your new ride...

welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Congrats on the wise choice. They are awesome wagons, especially with the 5 spd. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Just picked up my 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with 5 speed manual from Burlington, VT last weekend. Drove it back to Michigan...
There's a story in there somewhere...

Welcome from Virginia!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Don't mean to be nosey, but I & a few others would like to know the "story" about why you drove so far to get your FXP..... :)

·
Registered
10 Forester Manual
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a story indeed.

My sister lives in NY and drove a 94' Civic. That was her first car and she never sold it. I've been trying to convince her to buy a new car for 3 years because I didn't think that old car was safe. But she was hesitant because she didn't want to drive a new car in NY city. So finally this year, we came to an agreement that I would buy a new car and give her my 04' Honda Element. So I started researching for cars earlier this year and settled on the Forester.

Come Memorial Day, I flew to NY and we drove the Civic up to VT for the long weekend. On Saturday, after hiking the Camel's Back Mountain, we pulled into the hotel in Montpelier and noticed the engine was choking and blue smoke coming out of the pipe. Remember, this is Saturday night on a long weekend and in case you've never been to Montpelier, it's smaller than a college town. No dealerships or garages were open. Our only hope was calling a gas station on Sunday morning.

The next morning, we found a gas station/garage owner nice enough to come in on a holiday to check out the car. He thinks the head gaskets are gone and needed to be replaced. We could still drive around town, but driving back to NY was no option. He also said the earliest he could get it fixed was Wednesday. I had a flight back to MI Tuesday morning and my sister needed to work, so we were stuck. We drove the car back to the hotel to figure out what our options are. Should we junk the car and give it to the garage owner, or should we fix the car. No matter what, we needed to rent a car, so we decided to figure that out first. After calling around, we found out the only rental counters open were in Burlington airport, about 30 miles away. After checking the rates, we found that some companies don't do one way rental to NY, and it was cheaper to do a one week rental with same location drop off. It was then I came up with the plan. We would rent a car for a week, drive back to NY, then the next weekend, I would buy the Forester online, drive my Element to Vermont, pick up the new car. My sister would drive the rental car back to Burlington and pick up my Element. Confused yet?

We also decided to drop the Civic off at the garage, as a back up plan, in case I couldn't buy a Forester in a week, at least my sister can drive the Civic back when she drops off the rental car.

You can imagine how stressful I was that week. Most Subaru dealers are only open on Saturday. With the long weekend, I only had four days to find a deal. I immediately began sending out quote requests to all the dealers in MI, VT, and NY to let the dealers battle it out, see who can offer me the lowest price. The dealer in Burlington ended up winning that bid and that's where I bought the car.

Good thing I got the car, because by Thursday, the garage told me the cylinders in the Civic were damaged as well, to fix it, we essentially had to replace the entire engine. We ended up donating it to a local charity because they can tow the car for free, and we rather see it go to some family in need instead of a junk yard. We were also glad the car died in Vermont. It spent the last day in the beautiful Vermont mountain, and drove us back to the hotel instead of leaving us at a trail-head.

Everything ended up so perfectly, so I think it's fate that I got the Forester.

·
Registered
10 Forester Manual
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried to post pictures to this thread, but apparently I must post 15 messages before I can link images in the post. You can still see it in the gallery, under my username. The gallery's called "New Ride and First Time Playing In Mud".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts