Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take the time to pick the subaru forums brains. My wife and I are looking at the 2010 forester premium, and have some questions. We have never owned a Subaru and really don't know alot about them. Over the past few weeks I have been doing major research about them and have read good and bad reviews. I really wanted to get the opinions from the owners who drive them day in and day out. We live in Pittsburgh so the winters are pretty harsh here plus everything is on a hill in the area where we live. I have to say that I have stopped strangers in the parking lots who drive subarus and ask the question "How do you like your Subaru?" I always get a positive response. I have heard "Best car I have ever bought" to "these things are tanks in the snow and ice". We have been Chevy owners since we've been togethar which is 14 years now so I am a little parital to the Chevy Equinox"The wife says no." We did test drive a Forester last night and I was Blown away, so with that said, How do you like your forester?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I Love mine... :woohoo: Its been trouble free since I picked it up. Well I did have an one issue with chipping of the paint off the lower rear doors from rocks kicked up by the front tires, but Subaru repaired the damage under warranty. Ive since bought rallyarmor mud flaps and its seemed to have stopped the chipping or at least slowed it down . Other than that its been rock solid for the first 10,000 mi. The Subaru AWD works great, so you'll have no problems getting around the burg in any kind of weather even on the stock all season tires.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
We just bought one. I entered the process wanting a Ford Expedition EL, my wife wanted a Subaru. Budget nixed the Ford.

I am a long time Honda person, my wife has drooled over Subarus for years, so it was finally her turn. So far, I like it, but as always, I am finding things I liked better on Hondas. I think some interior parts were more solid on her old 2000 Accord we traded and our 2001 CRV. That said, it was more value than a current CRV. To get a moonroof (a must for my wife) we would have spent a bit more on the CRV.

I find the handling not as good as her old Accord or my 2001 CRV, but it is still pleasant.

The Forester gets much better reviews than everything in the class range and has gotten car of the year awards. Consumer Reports rates all Subarus well.

My big desire is pain free ownership. Between us, we have had several European cars, Benz, Audi, Volvo, Jag, MG, Austin Healey, so the desire for no pain is high! We had enough with those marques!

So far, the dealership BITES on service. The sales experience was excellent, however. There is another dealer a bit further away, so we will try them

Subaru and Honda are near the top for retained value, so that is a plus. On the other hand, we usually keep cars a long time, 150,000 plus, so they usually have little value at the end anyway.

I would look at everything in the price class and go with your gut feeling.

Hope this helped a bit.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem
23 Posts
Love it

I am on my second Forester. First (2004) had a bit of a run in with a deer. Second (2010) is roomier and seems to give a smoother ride. Does very well on the highway and light off=roading.

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
How do I like my Forester? I did a somewhat detailed review here a month or two ago of my new 2010 Premium. Executive summary: I like it a lot -- it gets all the big picture things right, and months later I still like it at least as much -- but it suffers a bit from some puzzling and irritating lack of attention to detail by Subaru...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love mine - granted, only 3000 miles. It handles the snow well and has a pleasant ride. Power on the 2.5x is sufficient and the same goes for fuel economy. The heater is incredible - on high, I swear it could melt the hair off my arms. I've driven with the window down in freezing temperatures on the freeway. Someone said to me that Subarus are designed and built like airplanes and I think it's an apropriate description. It is exactly what it appears to be and nothing else.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 5MT
231 Posts
Ive had my 2010 for week and half now. overall great car (my first subaru ever) even though i always wanted one. Have a problem with the alignment but the warranty will fix that, and couple of ratling problems which the waranty will also fix. coming from a VW i am hoping for cheaper repairs hehe who ever owed a VW knows that they are a major PITA to work with.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I did what you did, I asked a bunch of Subaru owners how they liked their vehicle and heard all favorable responses. So far I'm impressed and satisfied with my Sube, with the exception of a few things that are purely subjective.

It's an excellent vehicle in my opinion, and I plan to keep it for the long haul.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
I've put 10,000 miles on mine since June 8th and the Forester does everything well. Ride is decent. Handling is very good. Traction is great - especially since I replaced the stock tores with Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires. Mileage is decent at 22 to 25 MPG. A very easy vehicle to live with.

The negatives I have stated elsewhere on these boards- but basically revolve around the somewhat cheap interior materials- and one nasty rattle I have yet to exorcise.

Buy the Subaru- you will be happier with it than the Equinox if you enjoy DRIVING your vehicles.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
The Good

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f108/2009-forester-i-had-no-idea-65677/

The Bad

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/anyone-elses-09-rattle-trap-41514/

But if your primary concern is bad winter weather, there is no better, more fuel efficient, winter vehicle and all around well mannered road vehicle for the money than a Forester or Outback. They kick it pretty good in off-road, too, a claim not many class competitors can match.

Is your winter in Pittsburgh as bad as it is in Ukraine (I've got to stop posting this vid, but its just so cool, lol...)?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93L9JMbQI3E

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
So, you saw the youtube vid there, Phisin. Go on Youtube and search Forester vids. You'll see vids of people all over the world off-roading them and beating on them, they are quite popular overseas. In Russia and Eastern Europe they seem to take particular delight in enjoying their Foresters in what would be some pretty extreme winter weather here. Various model years, all Foresters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKkHxK_ujc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-UVpqJZ24

·
Registered
2010 Forester
94 Posts
We've had ours two or three months and love it.

Here's my favourite youtube vid (apart from the music;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKKvf5keh0

I wanted to take the time to pick the subaru forums brains. My wife and I are looking at the 2010 forester premium, and have some questions. We have never owned a Subaru and really don't know alot about them. Over the past few weeks I have been doing major research about them and have read good and bad reviews. I really wanted to get the opinions from the owners who drive them day in and day out. We live in Pittsburgh so the winters are pretty harsh here plus everything is on a hill in the area where we live. I have to say that I have stopped strangers in the parking lots who drive subarus and ask the question "How do you like your Subaru?" I always get a positive response. I have heard "Best car I have ever bought" to "these things are tanks in the snow and ice". We have been Chevy owners since we've been togethar which is 14 years now so I am a little parital to the Chevy Equinox"The wife says no." We did test drive a Forester last night and I was Blown away, so with that said, How do you like your forester?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
You definitely want to make sure of the following:
Is the driver seat comfortable to you; do a long drive.
Will whoever rides shotgun mind being nearly on the ground
If cup holder comforts and arm rests are important to you make sure they work for you (for me cup holders = yes; arm rests I had to mod my 2010 prem. to get useable).
Try the stereo with your pod, cds, whatever AT HIGHWAY speeds. I often have it maxed out and could use a little more, and I'm listening to folk music and NPR.

Those to me are the big issues. I don't have the rattles (after 4+ mo).

I had thought about ditching the car, but over time have come to love it (w/adjustments).

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
You definitely want to make sure of the following:
Is the driver seat comfortable to you; do a long drive.
Will whoever rides shotgun mind being nearly on the ground
If cup holder comforts and arm rests are important to you make sure they work for you (for me cup holders = yes; arm rests I had to mod my 2010 prem. to get useable).
Try the stereo with your pod, cds, whatever AT HIGHWAY speeds. I often have it maxed out and could use a little more, and I'm listening to folk music and NPR.

Those to me are the big issues. I don't have the rattles (after 4+ mo).

Good advice.

Try to get an extended test drive, as in half a day if you can. Out here in CT, that isn't a problem. After they determine that you aren't trying to rally their car, or steal it.. they hand you the keys and tell you to enjoy. I took various Subarus out for many hours as I test drove them and got familiar with the cars. In SoCal (where I moved from) the stealership didn't want you driving more than around the block.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts