Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Foz
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't actually bought one yet. The deal I signed with the salesman included a free installed ipod - usb cable, and he's telling me that it is not possible to have one installed. My wife is concerned they may be trying to worm out of supplying one. I don't think it's a big deal if either the unit will play mp3s off of a dvd, or if I can get it to work over bluetooth. Does anyone know if the 2010 forester nav will play mp3s off of a dvd? How about if it will play music over bluetooth?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
The Nav unit plays mp3 files from CDs and plays DVD video's. I'm just not sure if it plays mp3 files from DVD media.

AFAIK, the integrated bluetooth is only used for the phone. When selecting the "audio" button, it offers: FM, AM, CD/DVD, or AUX. So, I'm sure it won't play music through bluetooth.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
I plays mp3's off a DVD. You don't want an iPod controller because the radio senses that you're moving and doesn't let you do a lot of functions. I got a RCA to 3.5mm headphone plug and use my iphone with that but with 4.7 gigs of music on the DVD I barely use my iPhone.

I haven't tried but it might read double layer dvd's with mp3's since it should be able to read double layer movie dvd's.

One thing that sucks is theres no way to shuffle songs - only what's in a folder. I copy my itunes artist folders to the DVD for easy finding of albums.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
I haven't actually bought one yet. The deal I signed with the salesman included a free installed ipod - usb cable, and he's telling me that it is not possible to have one installed. My wife is concerned they may be trying to worm out of supplying one. I don't think it's a big deal if either the unit will play mp3s off of a dvd, or if I can get it to work over bluetooth. Does anyone know if the 2010 forester nav will play mp3s off of a dvd? How about if it will play music over bluetooth?
Are you referring to the Limited w/Nav model or the Sport-Tech model ?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
I'm not aware of any iPod USB interface for the Subaru Navigation head unit. However, as you probably are aware, there is an iPod Integration Kit.

I installed one in my Forester about 2 weeks ago. I'm glad that I did, as it's nice to have the ability to control music on my iPhone. It charges the iPhone/iPod, and give you the ability to move forward or backwards and control volume via the steering wheel controls. The Nav screen displays playlist name, song title and artist name.

Using the Nav screen I can scroll through the playlists, however, selections seem to be available only sequentially using the steering wheel controls or the selector knob on the right side of the Nav unit. I believe that there are a lot more features to discover, but my drive to and from work is so short I haven't had time to learn them.

I actually find that the audio sounds much better with most content played through my iPhone.

A previous poster mentioned that many features aren't accessible when the car is in gear. That's true for DVD, and some of the other functions, but I haven't found that to be true with the iPod interface. At least not yet.

If I can get my hands on the Apple A/V Composite cable, I will test audio and video.

If your dealer agreed to iPod connectivity you should press your them into installing the iPod interface. IMO, it's worth having. :icon_cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts