Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oki I need to ask, I see a lot of people getting way better consumption than me, I was wondering if I should get this check out by the dealer if there could be any potential issues.

Current Millage 14K
My driving well most of the time I drive from home to work and back that's all. I drive about 1-2 miles city (no traffic, but not open roads either, just your regular low traffic city driving) and about 5 miles highway speeds between 50-75. My current read is 19.5 on average if I will drive like an old lady my best reading is at 21 (but recently is even hard for me to get that) if I drive my regular (and no is not spirited) I get usually 19.5-20.1 best. So what do you guys think? What could be causing the issue? Thanks.

Oh yeah my location is Stamford, CT so not many large hills here. Even if I drive longer distance on a highway with no traffic I get 24 top and that by taking my foot of the acceleration pedal lol. To be honest the fuel economy is rather pathetic, not big concern for me, but I was hopping for at least 22s. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Your commute sounds like a "city" commute and it looks like you are getting what the "city" EPA rating is supposed to be. I mean, if my math is correct you only drive about 7-9 miles each way, so that's really not too bad.
My average driving around my town (rural county and small town of about 5,000 people) produces about 19-ish with my XT. This includes a few miles on a four lane bypass at 55-60 mph. When I take off and visit my family in West Tennessee on a 1,000 mile round trip (90% interstate) I get about 24-ish.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
I'm getting maybe 22 in Winter with that type of driving. With suburban driving I think we probably average at a tad over 26. On a trip we get about 30. Jack your tire pressure up to about 34/35 psi cold. that's optimum for me (handling vs good mileage)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well with the winter mix I hit 18s lol I jacked my tire pressure and there is no change in the reading lol. Even in the city I don't go below 30mph and usually about 40+. I kind of assume its due to the driving condition just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
with my 2010 FXP I get about 24/25 city mix and 28/29 during long highway trips. I have about 38 psi in my tires and carry a carseat and a subwoofer box as my only weight. I dont drive this car like an XT because I know its a X model suv.....lol

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
I get 17-19 in town. once I hit the highway 65-70ish I average 23-24. I've seen 29 going around 60 on 2-lane highways with no wind. I also notice most improvement by letting off the accelerator and coasting to stops as much as possible.

2010 X Prem PZEV

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get 17-19 in town. once I hit the highway 65-70ish I average 23-24. I've seen 29 going around 60 on 2-lane highways with no wind. I also notice most improvement by letting off the accelerator and coasting to stops as much as possible.

2010 X Prem PZEV
Lol this is so funny that you mention that, when I try to maximize my millage to hit 23-25 i do the same thing lol

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
For comparison, my 2010 auto gets about 19.1 in the winter, and about 22 this time of year, so far. I only have about 5000 miles on it, so it might still be in the break-in stage.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Sounds bout right for your commute. 7 mile commute, 1/2 that commute the engine is still warming up using extra fuel to do so. On top of that you aren't at any one cruising speed to really utilize the long term fuel trims.

You wont really see true mileage numbers until you get out on longer runs of around 20 miles or so. You can help those number in the city by using the brakes less and coasting to stops more vs braking. When engine braking(coasting) the fuel injectors are shut off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts