Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a smell while driving home today. When sitting still for more than about 20 seconds, there'd be a burning smell in the cabin. I was driving through a pretty industrial area at the time, so figured it was just a coincidence. Parked in my garage and the smell was overwhelming though. Popped open the hood and saw what looked like oil overflowing from the filler cap - photos attached. Checked dipstick, and oil is about 2/3 the way between the low and high marks (closer to high than low).

A few minutes before noticing the smell, I had floored it up an on-ramp. Possibly some kind of oil pressure or PCV issue? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see anything related, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unrelated to the problem, just want to clarify: Car has no known head gasket issues (133k miles), but does burn about 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles. The dipstick reading is right where I'd expect it to be at this point between oil changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, one more update. Started the car and took the filler cap off. There's a good amount of air/exhaust puffing out. Tried the same thing with our other car, a turbocharged VW, and there was a huge difference. This normal?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,803 Posts
Hard to say. Just replace the PVC valve and insure there is a rubber o ring under the cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the valve, the one that was in there was definitely bad. However, the vacuum line was really brittle and I think it might've developed a small crack or failed to seal when I put it back on. Car has much worse throttle response at low speeds now. Planning to pick one of these up on my way home tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts