Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love some advice on what to do with my 2010 Forester 2.5x. At around 130k miles the engine seized, I was told it was totally gone and I would need a new one (shop quoted 7,700 to replace it). I had it towed back to my place and would like to put a new engine in myself. I really loved this car and I think it would be a fun project at any rate, I will have help. I’ve never done an engine before but did most everything else on that car, hub assembly, tie rods and sway bar links, brakes, oil, radiator, belts... etc. I’m currently In a 2015 Legacy 2.5i premium which I also love but miss the cargo space... Anyway, to get to my questions.

1) where should I go to look for engines?
2) Should I get used or brand new or rebuilt? 3) Any thing I should be aware of in my search?

Thank you for the help! And this seems like a really great community, glad to have found it.

Cheers,
Ryan from Kansas City

·
Administrator
15,067 Posts
@ry.jolicoeur Welcome aboard Ryan

I imagine a new engine would cost both arms and both legs! A re-manufactured engine from a reputable supplier would be the path I'd take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@adc Apparently there was an issue with the cylinder head gasket and an oil leak. It started knocking and died. It happened on the highway during a three hour work trip drive. I had it looked at at carmax where I bought it, complaining that it was burning oil and had overheated, they said it was the radiator and replaced that along with the transmission hose that had blown a few months earlier. No mention of a gasket issue. The last place to look at it said it was cracked and carmax should have seen that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts