Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased a used 2010 Fozzie with 145k miles about 6 months ago and have been loving it. I have not run into any issues besides a heat shield rattle which was an easy fix, except for the fact that this car seemingly is gluttonous for engine oil.

I noticed pretty early on that the oil level drops very quickly in this vehicle which is something that I have never witnessed in any other car. I read about that it is very common for 3rd gens to consume oil, so I chalked it up to a quirk of the vehicle and went on my merry way. This car spends its time making short drives around my city so I just top it off here and there without paying too much close attention.

HOWEVER: I took this vehicle on its first highway trip, about a 3 hour drive, and on the way I was hit with the engine light coming and going whenever putting it in a high RPM state. Because this was the first time taking it for a highway trip I was heavier on the gas to see how it handles at higher speed. This engine light thing mostly happened when the vehicle was forced to downshift to accelerate at an already high speed. I know these vehicles are built with only four speeds, but the downshift thing (occurred mostly when cruise control was on) felt like it was stressing the engine, which is when the light would flash on until the motor could calm down and the RPMs dropped. So, I just took it off the cruise control and kept it under 80mph and had no engine light return and no problems. HOWEVER #2: I stopped halfway to my destination to get gas, and after fill up and starting the Suby, the engine lights came on and stayed on. Vehicle still drove normally with no noticeable difference EXCEPT for a rougher idle (at red lights, not when Suby is in park) causing some shaking of the vehicle. Only happens when fully stopped without car in park and not noticeable at all with acceleration and normal driving. Got the codes checked at arrival and had P0302, P0304, P0026 and P0028 - cylinder 1 & 2 misfires and intake valve control solenoid performance. ALSO found that I needed two quarts of engine oil, and I had just put a quart in. I reset the battery and so far no engine light has returned, vehicles driving normally but I'm still getting that shaky idling.

So two things here: Why is the vehicle shaking at idle and where is my engine oil going?? I have never seen any puddling under the car after park, nor do I see smoke from burning oil or any type of smell that would indicate oil is leaking and getting burned. The only thing I have seen so far that may be an indication is that the tailpipes are quite sooty and very blackened. Perhaps that is an indication that oil is getting burned in the exhaust, but again I have absolutely no smoke coming out of the rear, or anywhere from the vehicle for that matter. My next step action item for today is to fill the oil back up, see how much I've lost because it was entirely full only several hundred miles ago, check underneath the hood after driving, and keeping a DILIGENT watch over oil levels, checking all day every day. I also am still figuring out what's causing the rough idle. Autozone code read called for swapping ignition coil, but I've read that those codes also can indicate a need for new oil pressure switches which can also be cause of oil leak. I also am going to check spark plugs for grime, and then figure out where these switches are to see how those are looking.

Apologies for the long post but I know that the full story is needed here! Please help with any suggestions! Could the oil loss and the shaky idle be related or are these two entirely separate issues?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
720 Posts
Oil level measurement problems. On my '99 the way to get a good oil measurement is at a gas pump when the oil's warm. Lift the hood and take out the dipstick and lay it across the motor; then pump the gas. After gassing up I wipe the dipstick clean, insert and then measure the oil level after the dipstick has been set aside for ~4 minutes.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
My 2010 threw a cylinder misfire code at 199k miles. Turned out to be a blown valve cover gasket which was the factory original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2010 threw a cylinder misfire code at 199k miles. Turned out to be a blown valve cover gasket which was the factory original.
Thanks, I've been seeing this posted around as well. Seems like that could be the cause of where my oil has been going as well as of the misfire. I haven't gotten to check spark plugs yet but if those have gotten crapped up due to oil leakage then that could be cause of shaky idle?

We will find out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts