Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So from searching and reading the threads about this, it appears that the removal of the plug on even a brand new engine (mine is only two months old) is a real bear, with the prospect of also having to lower the exhaust header. There does appear to be a perfect location to hang a tank type circulating heater on the drivers side rail toward the front. The heater's outlet would be below the heater core's inlet hose and the heater's inlet would be above the lower radiator hose, both requirements. All of these heaters seem to have 5/8" nipples which I believe the Forester's hoses are. This type of heater is also considered the most efficient. Are any of you aware of any issues with this install? Correct me if I'm wrong about the difficulty of removing the plug. Thank You!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
the plug can be a pain to get out, The newer the vehicle the easier. I am one who has never been a fan of any of the heater you have to cut a hose to install. To me it is just one more area to cause problems, leaks.... but thats just me.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
I would re-consider the plug location - it really is the best, you can't beat having the element inside the block.

Should be easy-peasy on such a new car.

S

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Go with the plug removal. You'll just need to get a ginormous Allen wrench to get it out...14 mm if memory serves. One of those cost me less then 10 bucks. Oh, and a cheater bar wouldn't hurt either. :icon_wink: Good luck.

Kenny

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was under there today and if memory serves me correctly, there may be about 4" between the plug and the top of the header. It all comes down to how long the allen fitting is, if I have enough room for and how much leverage I lose with the universal at the end of my bar. The other consideration is I need to do this (Subaru heater) reasonably soon, where as I've got to November if I go with the tank heater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts