Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forster
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2010 forester, diesel, DPF light started flashing the other day, OBD2 tool shows no error codes. Torque Pro shows 3% soot level.
OBD2 tool has, in the past, shown oil dilution rate error code, and cleared it.
Anyone have any thoughts as to why DPF light would be flashing, but no error codes ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
maybe because you reached the point where you oil is calculated as too diluted

or because it believe the dpf is clogged for god knows reason ... anyway is seems that you're good to go to dealer to have a look at it... and get a forced dpf regen and an oil change.

did you do the oil yourself last time? as each time you change oil you theorically need to reset the oil dilution counter otherwise it can calculate that your oil is too diluted even though it's been change a few days ago.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
850 Posts
This thread may be better in the diesel forum.

Most likely an oil dilution issue as it does not turn on the MIL/CEL and the flashing DPF light comes on by itself & without warning. Check your oil dilution level.

Note if it's gone just above the 10% threshold, it might go back down below that with a bit of driving from the calculated evaporation rate...until the next regen. And yes, I've actually had this happen to me.

·
Registered
2010 Forster
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went for a drive a cpl of days ago, with torque pro running, soot was 61%, car did a regen, soot came down to 1%
oil dilution code, P1468 is usually read by the diag tool, strnge that no error codes come up :(
May have to go to a dealer (or subaru workshop) and get a read & reset done

·
Registered
2010 Forster
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe because you reached the point where you oil is calculated as too diluted

or because it believe the dpf is clogged for god knows reason ... anyway is seems that you're good to go to dealer to have a look at it... and get a forced dpf regen and an oil change.

did you do the oil yourself last time? as each time you change oil you theorically need to reset the oil dilution counter otherwise it can calculate that your oil is too diluted even though it's been change a few days ago.
yes, do my own oil changes, there was no P1468 (oil dilution) code

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
850 Posts
Don't get fixated on the oil dilution code. Forget it for the moment. The issue could be something else.

Did you actually reset the oil dilution level at the last change and if so, how long ago was it?

If you can give us some more info we may be able to help. What are the following readouots (see appropriate subdiesel OBD-II pages to get the arithmetic conversion expressions)

Actual oil dilution level? (PID 114E)
Ash level? (PID 1149)
Cat and DPF estimated temperatures? (PIDs 114B and 114C)
Pressure diff between DPF inlet and outlet (will vary with driving) (PID 114A)
Estimated Distance to oil change? (PID 1155)
Dist since last DPF regen (should be short if it just did one- it won't reset unless it's complete) (PID 1156)
Dist since DPF warning light flashing? (PID 116A, may not be there)
Total number of DPF regens completed (PID 1157)
How many klms has the car done (PID not needed ;-) )

Subdiesel's pages referenced above should be of help. Also have a look at some of the other threads on here, something may trigger an answer.

Also have you simply tried clearing the codes even though none are reported? Things like this sometimes happen.

·
Registered
2010 Forster
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long weekend this weekend, will try and add above PIDs' to torque Pro and see what read outs I get
Yes, I think it is something other than oil dilution
203,000km on the clock
Yes, tried clearing codes, no change

·
Registered
2010 Forster
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@pitrack_1 had new turbo hoses done about 10k ago
ok, so tried the demist on park lights on etc etc etc, have tried this before, nothing happened, this time glow plug light flashed and now dpf light light no longer flashing, so looks like it was an oil dilution error, strange that there were no error code on the obd tool though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts