Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Premium 2.0D / 2016 Subaru XV
3 Posts
Hi Magilla
I have similar issues to you aswell

2013 Diesel Outback Cvt premium 175,000ks.
Melbourne, Australia.

Noticed an issue 2 months back, it has always started great straight away within half a second hot or cold.
Then it started to occasionally misfire on startup and would have to start a second time and it starts and runs ok.
Gradually this became more frequent, but now when it starts, it runs for a short time then stalls. It can stall within 1 second or can idle normally for 5, 10 seconds or longer then stall. It dosen't run rough, it just cuts out. Sometimes it idles for 30 seconds then I put it into gear (reverse or Drive) starts moving then cuts out.
I can start it and keep the revs up around 1500 and no stalling until I let the revs back down to under 1000.
Once I've gone through this stalling and reving up process numerous times it seems to warm up and run fine, that's why I changed the coolant temp sensor but no fix.
Then once the car cools and sits overnight same stalling issues come back.

Checks I've done so far.
-Spare key, same problem
-Key batterys are good.
-Immobilizer seems to be working properly, light turns off when key inserted and started. Stays off when stalled.
-Battery tested and connections look fine
  • intank fuel pump checked and working ok.
  • coolant temp sensor replaced.
-No fault codes.
-Service done after this issue started, new oil air & fuel filter.
Hope this helps and any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dale.
G'day Dale,

Having been through this recently, I know how frustrating these things can be. I eventually capitulated and had my car seen to at a local dealership, after my local mechanic had run out of ideas and eventually (or conveniently forgot to) stopped returning my calls after he promised to speak with some other folks more familiar with the EE20.

Up until that point we'd done the basics;
  • service, oil and filter
  • fuel fitler changed and pump pressures checked OK
  • temp sensor chasing a noted higher than usual coolant temp
  • MAF clean
  • no error codes
  • 'reasonable' drive performance once warm that leaves you scratching your head
In the end, I also went the path of renewing the timing system. My gut feeling was the issue was probably a lazy hydraulic tensioner (OEM $90 on ebay) that would start to come good once the engine and oil got some warmth into them. I say this only from relating a little bit of chain rattle (all diesel engines rattle...) that had crept into the engine noticeable at first start and gradually resolving as the car warmed. The performance from the car wasn't terrible once it was warm and running well, but in saying that, when the car came back from the workshop the engine rattle was gone and the performance and fuels economy was also noticeably better, so I guess mild symptoms were all there, but as they'd gradually crept in over a period of some time I'd failed to properly notice it. The slowly boiling frog analogy comes to mind. My bad. To their credit, the Subaru dealer mechanics confirmed the problem pretty quickly and the turnaround on the repair was decent.

So yeah, unfortunate but I had to renew the chains, guides, and tensioners. Everything changed out as a job lot as you'd expect given the amount of labour involved in accessing and opening the timing case. A little disappointing given the car, its history, and its age, but after the initial groan from opening my wallet, glad to have the car back and running really well.

My only advice would be to keep an open mind on the timing system, better to catch that type of problem early before it has the opportunity to become a bigger problem, and if need be, get someone to look at it if you don't have the time or resources to do it yourself. My issue was dragged out over ~2.5 months and once I got it to the dealer as much as I hate the way dealerships gouge with parts pricing the problem was identified quickly and the car was back on the road in around a week.

Mind you, if I had the same problem now.... it seems I have nothing but spare time on my hands to piss fart about in the garage on projects. Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Magilla

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day Dale,

Having been through this recently, I know how frustrating these things can be. I eventually capitulated and had my car seen to at a local dealership, after my local mechanic had run out of ideas and eventually (or conveniently forgot to) stopped returning my calls after he promised to speak with some other folks more familiar with the EE20.

Up until that point we'd done the basics;
  • service, oil and filter
  • fuel fitler changed and pump pressures checked OK
  • temp sensor chasing a noted higher than usual coolant temp
  • MAF clean
  • no error codes
  • 'reasonable' drive performance once warm that leaves you scratching your head
In the end, I also went the path of renewing the timing system. My gut feeling was the issue was probably a lazy hydraulic tensioner (OEM $90 on ebay) that would start to come good once the engine and oil got some warmth into them. I say this only from relating a little bit of chain rattle (all diesel engines rattle...) that had crept into the engine noticeable at first start and gradually resolving as the car warmed. The performance from the car wasn't terrible once it was warm and running well, but in saying that, when the car came back from the workshop the engine rattle was gone and the performance and fuels economy was also noticeably better, so I guess mild symptoms were all there, but as they'd gradually crept in over a period of some time I'd failed to properly notice it. The slowly boiling frog analogy comes to mind. My bad. To their credit, the Subaru dealer mechanics confirmed the problem pretty quickly and the turnaround on the repair was decent.

So yeah, unfortunate but I had to renew the chains, guides, and tensioners. Everything changed out as a job lot as you'd expect given the amount of labour involved in accessing and opening the timing case. A little disappointing given the car, its history, and its age, but after the initial groan from opening my wallet, glad to have the car back and running really well.

My only advice would be to keep an open mind on the timing system, better to catch that type of problem early before it has the opportunity to become a bigger problem, and if need be, get someone to look at it if you don't have the time or resources to do it yourself. My issue was dragged out over ~2.5 months and once I got it to the dealer as much as I hate the way dealerships gouge with parts pricing the problem was identified quickly and the car was back on the road in around a week.

Mind you, if I had the same problem now.... it seems I have nothing but spare time on my hands to piss fart about in the garage on projects. Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Magilla
Thanks mate I Appreciate the reply.

I was hoping for something simpler than the timing chain problem.
Will just have to bite the bullet.
Are you in Aust and which dealer did you send it to, did they put in a whole new timing chain kit, and what did they sting you all up.
I may attempt to pull the casing off and assess what is needed like tensioner, guides etc. Then order parts and wait. I can afford plenty of time ATM, and have a second car.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Premium 2.0D / 2016 Subaru XV
3 Posts
Thanks mate I Appreciate the reply.

I was hoping for something simpler than the timing chain problem.
Will just have to bite the bullet.
Are you in Aust and which dealer did you send it to, did they put in a whole new timing chain kit, and what did they sting you all up.
I may attempt to pull the casing off and assess what is needed like tensioner, guides etc. Then order parts and wait. I can afford plenty of time ATM, and have a second car.

Will keep you posted.
I'm also in Melbourne, had the work done at Subaru Doncaster.

I dropped the car off on a Monday morning, and it was ready midweek the following week. It cost me ~$2700. The total cost of their parts was ~$1100 and the balance was in labour costs.

Here's a list of parts for my engine and the pricing from the dealer if it helps.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
75 Posts
An interesting read for us non-diesel owners. Need to read again, might have missed the specifics on how the timing chain caused the stalling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm with Steve k, I can't get my head around why the timing chain causes the stalling. I understand how a loose or warn guide produces the noise through chain slap etc.
Could the chains stretch so much that it effects the timing or worse the tensioners run out of self adjustment causing the chain to become so loose that it skips a tooth on the gears (sprockets).
Maybe a bad batch of chains were used for some models or engines.

Dale o_O

21 - 26 of 26 Posts