Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a moon roof on a vehicle before. I have a 2010 XT.

When I hold the button to close the moon roof is it only supposed to go a few inches at a time? Do you have to keep pressing the button? Is this normal or is mine broken?

thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited 4spd auto
11 Posts
I just got mine and also noticed this. It seems to go shuttle untill about the last 10" then stops. I need to hit the button again to open it all the way. In fact I think the same scenario happens when closing it. I'll double check that.

Really glad I got the moon roof. What a wow factor especially for people seated in the rear. Hopefully it doesn't leak and be sure to not forget to close it in case it rains when you park!!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,751 Posts
I just got mine and also noticed this. It seems to go shuttle untill about the last 10" then stops. I need to hit the button again to open it all the way. In fact I think the same scenario happens when closing it. I'll double check that.

Really glad I got the moon roof. What a wow factor especially for people seated in the rear. Hopefully it doesn't leak and be sure to not forget to close it in case it rains when you park!!
The moonroof has a safety feature built into it by stopping 3/4 way(when closing). This is more of a child proof measure, if I remember reading somewhere :Banane14:.

·
Registered
2011 XT Premium Automatic
11 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't leak and be sure to not forget to close it in case it rains when you park!!
is it also normal that droplets of water come in when you're in the car wash? it doesn't leak normally but it did surprise me the first time it happened.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
^^ It happens to mine too when the high pressure spray is directly overhead. Rain has never gotten in so I'm not too concerned at this point.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited 4spd auto
11 Posts
is it also normal that droplets of water come in when you're in the car wash? it doesn't leak normally but it did surprise me the first time it happened.
Well that's good news:). Thanks for the warning. Being I bought a black one I think I may stay away from car washes and dreaded swirl marks. Once I get bored and less motivated to wash it by hand I'll fold..

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
50 Posts
Yep. Children love the moon roof provided the sun is not too bright.
Ours opens fully in one go and closes pausing halfway.
Ours doesn't leak.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
56 Posts
mx 599 no that is not normal. happened to me on my 05 XT towards the end of my ownership. Press the button and it would only go a few inches and then stop. What, maybe 6 -8 -10 button presses to get it opened or closed.

Upon selling this Subie the new owner gave me what I think was a Tech Bulletin that showed how to reset the sun roof buy toggling the switch a certain way. Well, after doing that the roof worked just fine.

Bad thing is that I didn't know that I was going to get another Forester so I didn't keep a copy and know I'm looking for it.

Anybody know what I'm talking about and know where to find that bulliten?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the update!

yeah, it seemed a bit excessive to me. probably is 6-10 button pushes depending on how open it is.

well, if you find it please update

otherwise, at least you give me some direction now...

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X
56 Posts
my moonroof feels like it opens half way if held and let go. the fully opens if held and let go again. same with closing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
More of a safety feature.

My 18 month old daughter LOVES the moon roof!

·
Registered
2011 Forester
56 Posts
You know I just had an epiphany!

I forgot to ask you guys who state that it takes a lot of button pushing to close/open your moon roofs, how long do you hold the button to open/close?

Is it more like the time interval to engage your driver side window? If so your not depressing the moon roof button long enough. The time interval on engaging the moon roof button to open/close is more like 3/4 - 1 second. Then the roof will open/close completely with just 2 pushes of button.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know I just had an epiphany!

I forgot to ask you guys who state that it takes a lot of button pushing to close/open your moon roofs, how long do you hold the button to open/close?

Is it more like the time interval to engage your driver side window? If so your not depressing the moon roof button long enough. The time interval on engaging the moon roof button to open/close is more like 3/4 - 1 second. Then the roof will open/close completely with just 2 pushes of button.
I was holding it pretty long I think.

so is there really like some secret sequence voodoo to reset and fix it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts