Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 2010 Forester for my daughter. About the only thing I’ve discovered wrong with it to this point is the temperature shown on the clock display is always like 40 degrees F low. I first thought simple bad ambient sensor, but when using a scan tool I found the computer seeing the correct ambient temperature.

I’ve since learned that there is only one ambient sensor and that the CAN signal the clock receives is somehow routed through the gauge cluster. Everything else on the clock works fine so is it logical to deduce the problem is with the cluster? Is this a common problem?

I see that clusters are pretty cheap on eBay but would require coding, etc. so not sure if it’s worth the trouble.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the diagnostic flow chart for this in the FSM. Ambient sensor is supposed to be 3000 ohm at 77F.

The aftermarket sensor I found in the front was way out of spec at greater than 12k and highly unstable.

The computer must use a substituted value of 68F when the sensor is found behaving like this.

I’m thinking actual air temp was near to 68 when I did my previous testing. Today, however was near to 80 and computer locked in at 68. Probably should have noticed it wasn’t changing at all the first time around.

I ordered a new Subaru sensor and am confident that will resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts