Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first Subaru Forester and model is 2010. Has complete service history and done 270,000 kilometres.

August 2020:
Bought in August 2020 and was home delivered with three lights [CHECK Engine Lights, Traction control and cruise blinking] - Code P0171, P0600 and engine misfire. Went back to the car yard for 2 weeks had MAF sensor replaced. Ran for 300 kilometres and death lights came on, Code P0171 again, same misfire.

Sept, Oct, Nov 2020:
It went back to garage, stayed there for 2 months to figure. Changed O2 sensors, Cat Convertor and came back again. Drove for 11 kilometres and death lights again. Gutted. The car yard guys clearly have no idea on how to troubleshoot.

I am able to clear the code using my OBD2 dongle. Runs fine, when the code is cleared- but misfire exists when put on cruise. Before all these changes, the Average Fuel consumption was around 10/11. Now during the last fill, the average fuel consumption is 19L per 100km. It starts alright, idles alright. But major misfire when cruising/coasting with little acceleration. When I accelerate > 2.5k rpm, no issues, pulls fine. Has any one had similar experience?

I am based out of Melbourne, Australia. Any mechanic recommendations?

2020-09-17 0521.JPG

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
981 Posts
nice wheels.

Sounds like you have some O2 sensor issues. Either the sensors themselves, or the wiring to the sensors.

When replacing the O2 sensors, make sure that you go with OEM or OEM compatible O2 sensors. They are NOT cheap, but replacing them with cheap copies generally results in replacing them multiple times...

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice wheels.

Sounds like you have some O2 sensor issues. Either the sensors themselves, or the wiring to the sensors.

When replacing the O2 sensors, make sure that you go with OEM or OEM compatible O2 sensors. They are NOT cheap, but replacing them with cheap copies generally results in replacing them multiple times...
I am experiencing the SAME EXACT issue above... I am so frustrated right now..... Seeing the gas needle dip is super crazy and the mechanics don't seem to believe this.
Once the codes are clear, it drives like a dream.
My sensors were changed last week and they have been flickering on and off for about 4 seconds. Would love to hear any additional feedback.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
981 Posts
I am experiencing the SAME EXACT issue above... I am so frustrated right now..... Seeing the gas needle dip is super crazy and the mechanics don't seem to believe this.
Once the codes are clear, it drives like a dream.
My sensors were changed last week and they have been flickering on and off for about 4 seconds. Would love to hear any additional feedback.
I've had some problems with our 2009 X. I was seeing fuel economy dropping and about 100 kms after clearing codes, I would get the "too lean" CEL. I figured that since the fuel usage was going up, it must actually be too rich, so I figured that the O2 sensor was wrong. I replaced it, and the problem was fixed.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. It was also kind of idling rough and hesitating a bit. I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle-body. I removed the throttle body (put a vise-grip on the coolant lines) and cleaned every passage and speck I could reach. Back then, that solved my issues. I repeated those same steps before I replaced the O2 sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts