Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2010 Forester. Check engine light and Vehicle Dynamics Control light are constantly on. Sometime they are not on when car is running but come on after driving a few miles. Often stay on for extended periods of time/miles. Anyone tell me what's going on? I can disconnect the battery and everything resets. The lights stay off for a day or two and then come back on. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Your CEL turns on when there's a condition that requires your attention. Visit a place like Advance Auto or Pepboys and ask them to scan the car for you (edit: it is free).
Don't let them do anything to your car because they are mostly morons but do report back with the codes here.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
772 Posts
Some CELs will automatically go away if the car has seen several runs without the error-condition occurring. And when the error condition occurs again, the CEL comes back on
(usually, the Traction Control + CEL + cruise light all come on when there is an error-condition)

Run 1 : no errors -> no cel
Run 2: error happens - > cel comes on
Run 3: no error -> cel still on
Run 4: no error-> cel still on
Run 5: no error -> cel still on
Run 6: no error -> cel still on
Run 7: no error -> cel still on
Run 8: (the error has occurred in the last 5 runs, reset error) -> no cell
Run 9: error happens again -> cel comes on

(hope that made sense)

I believe that a "run" is considered a full cycle of key on -> start -> run for several seconds -> key off
I could be mistaken.

There are several ways to clear the codes:
1) use code-reader (You can buy fairly inexpensive ones at part-stores. Bought one once in a Walmart for < $20 (US). Some parts-stores will read the codes for you for free and reset the code for you
2) disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes (don't know how long is actually needed) and re-connecting it. Keep in mind that you will have to reset clocks etc when using this method

1 - 3 of 3 Posts