Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SH forester XT gang I need some exhaust help! I have been looking for months at all the different options for my cars exhaust. I’m new to doing mods and this will be my first exhaust so I want to make the best decision I possibly can.

My goals are basically unlocking that subi rumble, and also staying under the radar from police (I live in California and don’t want a $1000 ticket) I mainly want those nice deep tones. And a relatively stock look, no burnt tips or muffler deletes. Basically I’m torn between the nameless performance axel back 5 inch mufflers and possibly adding a mid pipe later on, OR the invidia q300. Budget is for sure a factor for me. I don’t want to spend much more then $1000. I’m torn because I know invidia q300 is a better value but I’d be spending more money upfront. I’m worried the nameless ABE won’t be as deep as I hope.

Does anyone have these set ups and any advice? Or are there any other brands I should look into. I’ve watched so many videos on YouTube but they all sound different lol. I saw rallysport direct has an xforce ss catback for $539 but I am unsure if I like the tone of that system as much as invidia.

·
Registered
99 Forester 4eat
46 Posts
I have a Q300/Grimspeed catted down-pipe and it's pretty loud while cruising FYI, I have also used a Greddy/Cobb DP combo that is noticeably quieter, but still rumbles from afar. If you are just ABE it should be fine.
Invidia build quality and fitment is great too, I've had to have the exhaust apart a few times for upgrades. The system re-bolts together cleanly without hassle and never leaks. Can't say that about the Greddy or the nameless systems.

·
Premium Member
10 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
13 Posts
I'm in the process of installing an STi exhaust on mine, want a bit more rumble (a LOT smaller resonator on it compared to the FXT), and weighs about 6 lbs lighter. Swapping mine out because the stock is really rusty, and there was a big dent in the Y pipe. Already had to cut the bolts on the mufflers (PB didn't work, heat didn't work, torquing the crap out of them didn't work...), now have to run up to the dealership to get some replacement spring bolts for the mid pipe that sheared off while trying to loosen them. The hits keep on coming! So hopefully your exhaust was in better shape than mine. Q300's look/sound really nice, not too overpowering, and stock fit without cutting the bumper. If you go for a quad tip you will either have to have the exhaust hanging down, rubbing, or cut the rear bumper. GS looks nice but about 300 above your price point and I think they're a little bit louder. RallySportDirect usually has Invidia sales at 10-20% off a few times a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the process of installing an STi exhaust on mine, want a bit more rumble (a LOT smaller resonator on it compared to the FXT), and weighs about 6 lbs lighter. Swapping mine out because the stock is really rusty, and there was a big dent in the Y pipe. Already had to cut the bolts on the mufflers (PB didn't work, heat didn't work, torquing the crap out of them didn't work...), now have to run up to the dealership to get some replacement spring bolts for the mid pipe that sheared off while trying to loosen them. The hits keep on coming! So hopefully your exhaust was in better shape than mine. Q300's look/sound really nice, not too overpowering, and stock fit without cutting the bumper. If you go for a quad tip you will either have to have the exhaust hanging down, rubbing, or cut the rear bumper. GS looks nice but about 300 above your price point and I think they're a little bit louder. RallySportDirect usually has Invidia sales at 10-20% off a few times a year.
Oh man, installing my invidia cutback was quite interesting as well. Started with the DP spring bolts which I almost gave up on but got it eventually. then I couldn’t get the mufflers off for the life of me. Same thing, wd40, torched it, cranked on it, nothing. So I ended up just wiggling the whole damn oem catback off the hangers and sliding it out from under the car lol. The rest of the install was a breeze!

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
You need a pair of these... For as many exhaust systems I've gone through over the years. They've totally made the expense worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts