Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but I'm looking for options for a bull bar... I'm on a tight budget, but I'm pretty good at finding deals on used things/craigslist hunting etc. There's a ton of bull bars on craigslist, but my problem is I don't know what exactly would fit. I'm doing this pretty much just for the looks, and to probably throw lights on. I like the rugged look of the foresters, so that's the end goal.

So, with that, what do I need to look for that would fit a 2010-2013 Forester?? I've found a cheap Westin from a Honda CRV... Vanguard something for an Acura, and then ones off Silverados, Dodge Rams, etc. All look just like the ones that come up when I search ones for Foresters. So, I'm not sure. If I can find something for $50 vs $250, I'd be happy. Again, mostly just for looks and lights than any real functionality.. That's just a bonus.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
397 Posts
I have a 2012 and have repeatedly searched for bull bar/light bar options. I don't have the ability to cut/weld/fabricate, so I've only looked at items made specifically to bolt on to an SH. As far as I've been able to find, these are the options. None of them are $50 though.

SSD - fairly low profile light bar, $189 +shipping. Almost unnoticeable as a nudge bar, but holds 4 lights...looks pretty nice with a bank of 4 Hellas on it. It displaces your license plate lower.
2012 Subaru Forester RALLY LIGHT BAR (Bull Bar, Nudge Bar), 4 Light Tabs! | eBay

Black Horse/Aries - I've seen what looks like this same product sold under various names on different sites, mostly around the $220 area. This is the heftiest, most aggressive looking choice I've seen, but it doesn't have tabs for mounting lights, so you have to add some kind of bracket if you want to put lights on it.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Black-Horse-Road-BBSU01A-Bull/dp/B00A9LVYJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508258429&sr=8-1[/ame]

Rally Innovations - $270 + ~ $50 shipping - This is a nice balance between the understated SSD and the slightly-too-heavy-for-my-taste Black Horse. It mounts both underneath and through an opening in the bumper, so it seems pretty solid, though it appears to be fairly lightweight tubing. It has 4 light tabs so you can mount two up and two down, and wraps around your existing license plate location. This is the one I settled on...in fact mine is getting delivered today. I think they make these to order...it took a number of weeks for them to ship it out.
https://www.rallyinnovations.com/collections/rally-light-bar/products/2019-2014-subaru-forester-2-5i-xt-rally-light-bar

Primitive Racing - $555 + what must be a hefty amount of shipping...this one seems to be the real deal, full on brush guard, looks like you could pull a PIT maneuver on someone if you needed to :grin2:
Lightbar - BOLT-THRU 09-13 Forester - Primitive Racing

(For $50 or less, there are those non-vehicle-specific license plate holder/mini light bars which you can find for about $25 on Amazon or eBay, but on our Foresters they just attach to the plastic of the bumper cover...doesn't seem like a reliable way to mount lights.)

Has anyone else found an SH option I haven't covered here?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
126 Posts
Oh, welding! My friend can weld, but I'd probably have to give him a pretty specific diagram/explanation on what and where he's welding things to.. He doesn't know Subaru's, at all, but he's excited for me to get one so he'll have something to help me play with and mod. I guess that's an option for figuring out bull bar for sure...

Anyways, the ones I'm finding on Craigslist look pretty similar to the 2nd and 3rd examples you showed me. Just some cheaper craigslist options..

or,

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
606 Posts
Be aware that bull bars can increase the risk of injury in an accident by negating the frontal crumple zone the Subaru engineers designed into the car. The may also affect airbag deployment. Light bars and to a lesser extent nudge bars are safer options if all you need is something to hang lights on.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
126 Posts
I don't want to compromise safety, that's definitely not worth it. Are the nudge bars the same as the "A-bars"? Or like the black horse/aries kind? Or are they different somehow to the Rally Innovations light bar of the same sort of shape?

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
606 Posts
Are the nudge bars the same as the "A-bars"? Or like the black horse/aries kind? Or are they different somehow to the Rally Innovations light bar of the same sort of shape?
The RI light bar is what I call a nudge bar. As the are attached to the vehicle frame they can affect crumple zone, though by how much depends on how strongly they are made. Light bars are less robust attaching to behind the license plate like this one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts