Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a manual 2010 forester and today at the ski hill I left my fog lights on so my battery died. So I got the battery charged but my car wouldn’t start. I couldn’t even get the starter to make the clicking sound. So I tired to bump start it but it didn’t work. After that I checked the fuses and they were good. So my thought was either the alternator or the starter. If you have any thought please let me know!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
356 Posts
How was it charged and for how long? A fully drained battery can take quite awhile to regain charge.

No click from the starter... did any interior light come on? Dashboard light?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it probably wasn’t fully charged. I had someone connect it to their car for around 20 minutes. Then I drove my car down the mountain in 4th gear (it was just coasting) which allowed for my dashboard lights to come on. My gauges all move but it won’t show my odometer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
356 Posts
That you had some lights come on indicates your main fuse is good, as you said. 20 minutes on a jumper is usually good enough to get a car started, provided the jumpers remain connected when starting.

When you say you drove it down the mountain in fourth gear, you mean the engine was being turned over, but still would not start? If that was the only time you had some light, that would indicate your alternator is doing something, but your battery wasn’t anywhere near charged.

I’d see what happens after leaving the battery on a smart charger overnight before jumping to other parts of the charging system.

how old is the battery?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dashboard lights only turned on after I went down the mountain. I’ll hook my battery up to a smart charger and let you know how it works in the morning. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
669 Posts
Using a booster cable, use the black cable only so there's no confusion: tie the black lead to the negative of the battery and the other side's black lead to a beefy bare part of the engine. Leave the red cable dangle - don't hook it up. Try starting.
It may very well be a bad supply cable from the battery. The negative is the easiest and safest to try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it started after I let it change all night. But I definitely need a new battery. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
511 Posts
We use Interstate batteries and have had good luck with them. I would use a trickle charger if the car isn’t started for more than a week or more.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
356 Posts
@Dylan Opp , Glad to hear it started (and that you had a charger). Just curious - How exactly did you make it home? Last thing I read you were coasting down a mountain road. Is your house situated at the bottom?

I've used the Duralast Gold series from Autozone in several cars over the years with good results. Chosen mostly because it's closest to my house. They lasted through several midwest winters.

I may go with something more robust for my current car, but hopefully that's a few years away. I bookmarked an Odyssey Extreme series for my own reference. This one might not fit your model. Costs much more and I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it. https://www.odysseybattery.com/Batteries/Model_35PC1400T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you I’ll check it out!
But I had to call AAA, which was a huge pain. Plus the lady I got tried to hook the tow straps up to my bumper! So I had to explain to her that if she did that it would just rip my bumper off! So she told me I should just hook it up myself, which I did. Then she finally got it up on the truck but she couldn’t find the tire straps. So my car was jut secured by my parking brake and a broken winch. To say the least it was an eventful night!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts