Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2010 subaru forester xt which I love. It came with an aftermarket screen which I like, however the control buttons by the shift knob no longer do anything and are taking up potential
phone storage room. Does anyone know if this part can be removed? Thanks!
Car Gear shift White Vehicle Automotive design
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,544 Posts
I don't see why couldn't remove the audio controls. Try it and find out, ie pull the panel and see what's back there and then just disconnect the wiring on the back.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,340 Posts
As that does not appear to be a Subaru part (looks like some kind of Bluetooth phone set up), you should be able to just pull it out and "be gone" with it.

However, you may have issues with any holes or adhesives or _ that the previous owner used to install that bit. Any image I've seen of the 2010 Forester center stack has just a big square cubby down there and this may need to be replaced if they damaged the "box" when installing that bit of whatever.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses! got it off and it looks like I have to replace it with the normal trim piece that doesn't include the volume controls. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,568 Posts
Makes me reminisce about our 2006 Mazda5, which was rare enough to begin with, but we bought the extremely rare kind with both the fancy trim (climate control, sunroof etc.) plus 5-speed manual. Mazda didn't quite think all that through - if I placed my hand a little carelessly on the shifter, a shift from 2nd to 3rd would give an unwanted poke to the climate control buttons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts