Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 4eat
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to haul my 300lb jetski around on a maybe 100lb trailer.

i taked to the guys at flatiron subaru and with them being a subi dealer, they say to put a factory hitch on, well i really dont have the $300 for one. has anyone experience any bad juju with aftermarket hitches on there 2010 forester? manual trans??

i purchased a hidden before i was introduced to this information and am kinda skeptical on putting this on now?

Thanks Erik

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,026 Posts
The U-Haul is gteat at half the bucks.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,680 Posts
Check out etrailer.com.

Structural integrity? Sounds like BS to me. Unless they changed something with the SH series, you aren't removing any part of the structure or even altering it in any fashion. You're just bolting something else onto it using sturdy, existing holes.

·
Registered
04 XTI 4EAT-6MT
286 Posts
Sounds lke someone trying to get their comission to me....
On my 03 I think it made the rear STRONGER by tying the rear end together side to side.
One thing to look at though is how many bolts it uses. I have seen some that use less than others.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I think what they were referring to is that some (unknown name) hitch required you too drill into the rear supports as opposed to using existing mounts or replacing the rear bumper beam (as the factory hitch does).
If you purchase one, just do your research. Several on here have used Hidden Hitch, Curt Hitch, and U-Haul as well as the factory (mine does).
Each have their pluses and minuses. I prefer the factory hitch on mine (seems to be less noticible than some others).
Regardless of which ones that I mentioned you might select, just remember even if the HITCH says it is a "Class 3 (or III)" it will still only officially pull loads for a Class 2 (II). That's something people can fight with SOA about. I don't worry too much about pulling large loads, I have a truck for that.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 4eat
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i am fine with this hitch that i purchased, it just made me second guess myself when he started talking about how ther was a car in the shop with "frame" damage.. because of the aftermarket hitch.. IDK il probebly end up installing the hidden just because i refuse to spend the $300 for an OEM. like i said i live on flat ground, and im pulling maybe 500lb. i do apreaciate the advice as i really didnt have much to go with.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
107 Posts
well i am fine with this hitch that i purchased, it just made me second guess myself when he started talking about how ther was a car in the shop with "frame" damage.. because of the aftermarket hitch.. IDK il probebly end up installing the hidden just because i refuse to spend the $300 for an OEM. like i said i live on flat ground, and im pulling maybe 500lb. i do apreaciate the advice as i really didnt have much to go with.
Isn't the Subaru unibody? So no frame?

Molon Labe

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
well i am fine with this hitch that i purchased, it just made me second guess myself when he started talking about how there was a car in the shop with "frame" damage.. because of the aftermarket hitch.. IDK I'll probably end up installing the hidden just because i refuse to spend the $300 for an OEM. like i said i live on flat ground, and I'm pulling maybe 500lb. i do appreciate the advice as i really didn't have much to go with.
The hidden hitch brans will be fine. If the guy told you the car had frame or structural damage from the hitch, take anything he ever says again with a box of Morton Salt.

Isn't the Subaru unibody? So no frame?
Molon Labe
Yes. Unibody with a Subaru specific safety "ring".

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,365 Posts
an aftermarket hitch CAN cause excess damage...

but usually only if you are in a weird car wreck.

example I had a 2009 elantra touring.. got rear-ended by a really lowered old honda accord (shovelnose)

it basically hit my hitch and went under the bumper..

it twisted the hitch 180% and totally destroyed the trunk floor area.

of course if the hitch hadnt been there I think the first solid thing would have been the rear suspension.

not much better.

·
Registered
2010subaru forester X mt
27 Posts
Check out etrailer.com.

Structural integrity? Sounds like BS to me. Unless they changed something with the SH series, you aren't removing any part of the structure or even altering it in any fashion. You're just bolting something else onto it using sturdy, existing holes.
What they are talking about is the hitch manufactures recomend to elongate the holes to get the backing plate inside the unibody frame rails. Insurance companies call that practice (frame damage) and sometimes not cover rear end damage due to car accident because the unibody has been altered(in their opinion). If you take off the rear plastic bumper, you can fish the backing plates into the cavities without changing anything or (altering) anything and it takes less time and frustration than doing as the hitch people suggest. This is not going to hurt or help the frame in my opinion. It ust adds a recovery point for all of us folks that like to venture off the beaten path and you can now tow something that will drag your mileage down and put you in the extra slow lane with the 8ting wheelers going up grades. Unless its just a lightweight teardrop or something else really light. I have this setup and like it alot but I don't tow anything with mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts