Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope you can help me. I started my car and noticed the car was making alot of noise when accelerating. It is nder the car, sounds like a hole in the muffler or pipe. When I look from the back wheel it looks like lots of rust where the "y" pipe and muffler piece connect. It's a 2010 subaru forester 2.5 non-turbo, my questions:
1) can they just replace the pipe and not touch the cat? what does that normally go for? what aftermarket product if any could one use
2) if the cat needs to be replaced, can one use an aftermarket product? would the CEL keep firing and prevent it from passing inspection?
I didn't get a check engine light when the noise started, so I hoping only the exhaust "y" pipe needs to be replaced and maybe muffler but not cat if that's possible???
3) is there something else I should be looking out for that I may not be aware of.

Thanks for any info.
Silvia

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
891 Posts
welcome to forum. Look up / Google muffler shops in your business/phone directory and take your car there. They'll provide a free evaluation and quote; be prepared to OK the quote or not immediately - these shops work fast. Your present problem sounds very solvable.

I go to locally owned muffler shops, rather than major name Midas Muffler etc - that's cuz I live where these small shops are at least half the market. These are pretty affordable and flexible to me in terms of whatever I want ... I'll get; if I want to save the cat conv, they'll save the cat conv.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to forum. Look up / Google muffler shops in your business/phone directory and take your car there. They'll provide a free evaluation and quote; be prepared to OK the quote or not immediately - these shops work fast. Your present problem sounds very solvable.

I go to locally owned muffler shops, rather than major name Midas Muffler etc - that's cuz I live where these small shops are at least half the market. These are pretty affordable and flexible to me in terms of whatever I want ... I'll get; if I want to save the cat conv, they'll save the cat conv.
Hi thanks for the advice, my cousin mentioned the same thing butsaid someone could just cut out the bad piece and replace it by welding it back on- so I looked up a local shop, went and he said to remove the broken piece and weld another piece on. I had this done, hopefully it wasn't wrong thing to do but he said rest of exhaust was in good condition. He didn't have my exhaust so he suggested this option. I would have to buy the piece and he could put it on in the future.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,500 Posts
My GF had this same problem the other day. It was the exhaust manifold. The mechanics called it the flex pipe.

They fixed the loud noise for $265. I wasn’t there. I don’t know what they did. The Subaru exhaust manifold costs $300 or so. I had just changed the gaskets. I didn’t see any problems. There must have been some rust hole I couldn’t see.

Check your exhaust manifold. Easy to diy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GF had this same problem the other day. It was the exhaust manifold. The mechanics called it the flex pipe.

They fixed the loud noise for $265. I wasn’t there. I don’t know what they did. The Subaru exhaust manifold costs $300 or so. I had just changed the gaskets. I didn’t see any problems. There must have been some rust hole I couldn’t see.

Check your exhaust manifold. Easy to diy.
My repair was only $60, they cut where the left muffler and the y pipe meet and then just welded a round pipe onto it. I eventually would like to get the y pipe and muffler correctly put back but I guess I can wait and will make it a practice to get the the underside of the car cleaned after the winter to get any salt off from the snow storms we get here in NY. I asked if the other side was ready to come loose and he said no, it's got a while. The system looks good, time will tell. I was hoping to keep this car for 200K miles or another 10 years. It has 108K, already changed/repaired the head gaskets at a tune of $5K so want to keep it a few more years before needing a new car.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,500 Posts
Great! The problem with Winter weather is the salt. My GFs 2003 with 148k miles was saved when we moved down south. The rust was destroying the suspension. I would wash the underside every time it snows. The salt will eat up all metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts