Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, new to the site but do have to say y'all offer some awesome advice!

I'm looking at a manual X Premium and though I want one without any options it looks as though I'd have to have one special ordered. But here's the pricing on a 2010 model that a dealer has (includes these options: all-weather package, tail pipe exhaust covers, cargo tray, rear bumper cover, auto dim mirror/compass/Homelink) along with a dest. charge of 695, theft protection (glass etching) $99, and an extra tint for 100 bucks done at the dealership to all of their cars here, so this all comes to a total of 22,489. This is before sales tax (which if you buy before Dec 31st you get it rebated anyway from govt) and local license and registration fees, etc. What's your take on this price?

They originally quoted the Theft Protection at 299, and the extra tinting at 249, so I've got them to come down some on those. The tinting price I can live with but I'm still not happy about the Theft Protection, but maybe I can part with the 99 bucks?

The salesman even brought out the factory invoice and it shows the dealer cost to come to a total of 23,180. (then the dealer would still be tacking on Theft and tinting). Surely they're still getting some holdback from the mfr., too. Also the invoice date shows 8/13/09 so the car's been sitting there for 2 months so far which bodes well for me I think.

Overall yay or nay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd never trust the invoice they show you. Could and most likely is completely fake. I had one guy show me an invoice yesterday and it was $23,990, and supposedly they charged $450 for the deal. So the total they wanted was something like $24,440. I highly doubt they would sell a car and only make $450 off of the whole deal. There's no way a dealership could make enough money to support their employees making $450 on each car.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
15 Posts
Hey guys/gals, new to the site but do have to say y'all offer some awesome advice!

I'm looking at a manual X Premium and though I want one without any options it looks as though I'd have to have one special ordered. But here's the pricing on a 2010 model that a dealer has (includes these options: all-weather package, tail pipe exhaust covers, cargo tray, rear bumper cover, auto dim mirror/compass/Homelink) along with a dest. charge of 695, theft protection (glass etching) $99, and an extra tint for 100 bucks done at the dealership to all of their cars here, so this all comes to a total of 22,489. This is before sales tax (which if you buy before Dec 31st you get it rebated anyway from govt) and local license and registration fees, etc. What's your take on this price?

They originally quoted the Theft Protection at 299, and the extra tinting at 249, so I've got them to come down some on those. The tinting price I can live with but I'm still not happy about the Theft Protection, but maybe I can part with the 99 bucks?

The salesman even brought out the factory invoice and it shows the dealer cost to come to a total of 23,180. (then the dealer would still be tacking on Theft and tinting). Surely they're still getting some holdback from the mfr., too. Also the invoice date shows 8/13/09 so the car's been sitting there for 2 months so far which bodes well for me I think.

Overall yay or nay?

Wizardofoz, I bought my 2.5X MT premium for 22,700 a month ago at CamelBack. you may cut the price down by a little bit more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like that dealer has a nice little profit center built on a cheap window tint and glass etching... Just wrong. I would not buy from them on this fact alone. Dealer options are nothing, won't help with resale or trade in at all. Therefore, they are for your own enjoyment only. If you enjoy the tint, fine. But glass etching? This is an old time dealer scam from YEARS ago. Before things like good locks, alarms, umm...GPS even.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
Sounds like that dealer has a nice little profit center built on a cheap window tint and glass etching... Just wrong. I would not buy from them on this fact alone. Dealer options are nothing, won't help with resale or trade in at all. Therefore, they are for your own enjoyment only. If you enjoy the tint, fine. But glass etching? This is an old time dealer scam from YEARS ago. Before things like good locks, alarms, umm...GPS even.
you cant tell me sticker pinstripping doesnt help haha. Somes dealers in DFW area paint that crap on just so you have to buy it. No thanks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
I'd never trust the invoice they show you. Could and most likely is completely fake. I had one guy show me an invoice yesterday and it was $23,990, and supposedly they charged $450 for the deal. So the total they wanted was something like $24,440. I highly doubt they would sell a car and only make $450 off of the whole deal. There's no way a dealership could make enough money to support their employees making $450 on each car.
That's what I wonder too. My dad bought a brand new Mazda mini van a couple of years ago. The MSRP was around $24000 and he bought it for $19000. That's way below the invoice price. Given that minivan aren't exactly popular with majority of the population, but still, it means the actual dealer cost is still lower than invoice price minus the holdback.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring Pkg
4 Posts
We just purchased a 2010 Forester with the Touring package in a Manual. Out the door= $32,000 CDN
This was in Edmonton. Sounds like your getting a great deal.

·
Registered
2010 forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey all, so I was in fact able to get him to knock off the glass etching for a final price of 22,390. I've had it for two weeks now and am very happy so far. Yes I've stalled it I think 3 times so far, haha. Took it up to Grand Canyon camping last weekend and sure enough three ladies ended up sleeping in the back with the seats down. They were cramped for sure! Two might've been okay but not three.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all, so I was in fact able to get him to knock off the glass etching for a final price of 22,390. I've had it for two weeks now and am very happy so far. Yes I've stalled it I think 3 times so far, haha. Took it up to Grand Canyon camping last weekend and sure enough three ladies ended up sleeping in the back with the seats down. They were cramped for sure! Two might've been okay but not three.
I've been shopping, strangely enough, at the same dealership -- Camelback Subaru, and they told me that there is no way they'd sell a car for what they sold you. Any chance you could give me your contact there. I'm just getting the run around -- and a MUCH higher price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts