Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, lets get an update from the '09+ XT owners...

How are you enjoying your XT? How many miles you have now? Experiences? Stories? Better than you expected? Any mods?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Totally stock, performance-wise, with the exception of a set of winter tires and rims. A few minor bling/ICE mods only.

Now at just around 10K miles.

I know, we're low-mileage (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/815841-post85.html - that was back at the end of April). :smile: The vehicle's been our lease since March/April of 2009 (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/new-09-fxt-cleveland-ohio-51132/), replacing my wife's '05 WRX sedan, 4EAT, which was also leased. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle.

Only two trips to the dealership for fixes:

One was a shaky/vibrating left side outside rearview mirror upon reaching typical highway speeds, of which a clip was replaced under warranty, and sufficiently (although not completely) addressed the issue.

The other was a bit more major: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/09-turbo-engine-failure-62103/

But aside from those two hickups, it's been smooth-sailing throughout.

Yes, there's much more cabin noise (rattles and groans) that we're used to, but we figured that since the vehicle is just one big resonance box, that it's to be expected. Still, for a modern vehicle, it's definitely something that could be improved upon. Nevertheless, we were glad to have a larger vehicle - especially of the interior room - as we've found that a toddler can require quite a bit of extra packing, when going on even the shortest trip. Road/wind noise was actually less than what we'd expected, and I've found that to be true even with all the windows down and the expansive moonroof full-open.

We both love the vehicle's interior room and sightlines.

With the H9 low-beam replacement and HIR1s fitted to both the factory fog as well as the high-beams, night-time/foul-weather visibility has not been a concern.

For a "soft-roader" small-SUV, I think that the XT's on-road straight-line performance is admirable. It is every bit the equal of - if not faster than - Sara's outgoing '05 WRX 4EAT, and I truly believe that the extra half-liter of displacement really helps with the low-end grunt. As-always with these smaller-turbo applications, highway passing performance still leaves something to be desired, particularly when already at higher speeds; but then again, I'm far from wanting, too, and to say that performance is sufficient is an understatement. On-road transients are definitely a bit more relaxed than what both Sara and I are used to (her coming from the WRX, with stock suspension; my '05 Legacy 2.5GT carries some suspension modifications), but experience has shown us that emergency maneuvers at highway speed will not cause undue upset to the chassis, and that has really made me feel very good about this vehicle, which is our primary family transport, when it comes to road-trips and the like.

No complaints of the transmission. While an extra cog would've been nice, the 4EAT in "Sport" mode holds gears very well, and I actually prefer it to the somewhat delayed-response of the manual-shift mode (note that I have little to compare that to, except my cars, which have all been manual transmission). Compared against her '05 WRX 4EAT, the transmission pairing on the FXT definitely seems to work out much better, particularly when getting going from a standstill (exclusive of torque-braked "launches") while the A/C is engaged, on a hot and humid day.

In terms of safety/security, with Michelin Xi2s, the vehicle has proven itself to be a true winter-warrior, and after the offset-frontal crash of our loaner (a base X variant), we know that the vehicle is safely and solidly built.

We've really enjoyed our time with the vehicle so far.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
I'm loving my FXT

Since doing the dp,intake and exhaust with tuning it really made a night and day difference. Basically woke up the car.

I don't drive it that often since the gas milage isn't as great as my 01 sentra I use for a daily. Plus I want to keep the miles low. Milage is jusk under 6k. Drove it to Omaha last month and did some road and drag racing with it.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Future plans are Intercooler and maybe a vf52.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now have 22,000 miles on my '09 Forester XT Limited since I got it around October 1st 2008. I've already put more miles on it than I had after 4 years of owning the '05 Legacy GT Limited.

Compared to the '05 LGT, the acceleration is not as explosive, but is a lot smoother. I find the FXT is more fun to drive, where the LGT was always a tiny pothole away from a flat tire. The Forester can be driven harder, on beat up back roads, and also can store a ton of cargo.

I recently moved to Northeast Pa, where there are long stretches of twisty roads and very few traffic lights. The winters there I found are brutal, but the Forester is an amazing winter vehicle. We had some massive snow storms this past winter, and many many days where it never got warmer than the low teens. I tell people that it seems like it snows every single day there, and the ground was covered in snow from early December all the way until early March.

I made many many trips back and forth between NEPA and NYC, and I have averaged and overall 19.8 mpg since day 1. I had moved a ton of stuff into the new house, and made tons and tons of Home Depot trips. I think the fuel mileage is good considering the tons of cargo I've carried long distances many many times this past spring, and the fact that I have a lead foot. Much of my driving now is a mixture of twisty mountain roads with lots of hills and long stretches of highway. Before last Fall, most of my driving was city driving.

Summer is here again, and she is proving to still be an amazing vehicle. She's holding up beautifully considering all the work she did this fast Fall, Winter and Spring, as I moved into my new house and did a ton of renovations. She's carried tons of furniture, an entire new bathroom, bags of gravel and sand, gardening stuff, patio blocks, crabbing stuff, etc etc...

I love my Forester XT. It has been the perfect vehicle. Everything about it is good, even the transmission. It is geared very well, and feels very sporty on the back road.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Good time to ask as I'm almost exactly one year (bought my 09XT in last week of June 2009). 22,500 miles. avg 22.2 mpg on 93 octane.

First the small set of modifications - nothing earth shattering but I'm pleased that I've done these so far:

1. Added a dash mount for my iPhone, tied to Navi HU for music and video, BT and power up through center console.
2. Modified the Navi to allow full access while in motion.
3. Replaced the factory speakers with Polks and added an amp under passenger seat.
4. RAMMat'd the front doors, tail gate and spare tire area
5. Added a rear view backup camera.
6. Replaced factory horns with SuperTones
7. Replaced the Rear Sway bar with a Perrin, and upgraded end links
8. Installed an XM radio in the dash storage area, wired inside the dash so it looks good and leaves my power port open.
9. Bought an extra set of wheels and dedicated snows for Buffalo winters.
10. Installed a Curt 2" Hitch for my bike rack.
11. Thule slide out ski rack (not really a mod but looked cool driving back from Vermont a couple weeks ago with some new skis on it :)
12. Front sway bar and new end links are sitting here waiting for me to install them.

Overall I really like the ForesterXT, it's quick and eats up winter roads like a tank with the dedicated snows. This past winter in Buffalo when the roads were unplowed etc, I drove through the worst conditions with no issues, passing stuck Hummers and Jeeps ! It handles pretty nicely (with upgrades) for a small SUV and I think it's the best in it's class. It's got a few rattles, some were handled with the sound deadening, but a few remain, clearly an area for improvement. The puddle lights look cool..a couple burned out the first winter (warranty), I'm hoping some rally armor flaps will help prevent that this winter..we'll see. I just had the brakes done and they first resurfaced and then replaced the front rotors, also under warranty. I think it's mostly due to the city portion of my driving, which it's partially my own fault for having a heavy foot and being a bit harsh on the braking..it's hard not to hit the gas when it responds so well (turbo foot).
I've had it on the open road with nobody around and hit 110 pretty easily, granted it was probably at the upper reaches, but felt pretty decent. The XT clearly rules in the 0 - 70 space, beating most of the morning morons off the line at any light :) It's fun to leave the kids in Hondas and the old guys in their BMWs wondering what just happened...
I can pack a ton of stuff in this thing, and ski's on top.
I really like the fact that I can do some modifications myself, thanks to the good members here in the Subaruforester.org forum that always offer advice and directions etc..it would be way less fun to own without the crew here. I'm actually looking forward to the exhaust rusting out so I can upgrade that and then start under the hood. I bought this Subaru to give to my son in a couple years when he goes to college but I'm second guessing that idea entirely...I'll get him a bus pass instead :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There can't only be 3 of us '09+ XT owners on here... :shrug:

Looks like I will have to get some more XT photos :raspberry:

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Well after a week of ownership I am not going to be able to contribute much.
But I have now owned a 99 SF, a 2004 XT and now the 2010 XT.

Things I like off the bat. Bigger. Finally a no comprise family car. Now that my young children are growing this is a really bid deal. I ride/race road bikes and there will be a lot more room for everything. I also feels grown up. New it feels tight and quiet but sounds like it will loosen and rattle up a bit. This one is plush compared to the others. Sunroof, pleather, and and Automatic. I am old now and an auto is actually a bit nice.

Things I don't like off the bat. Ride is unsettled. Feels a bit like a pickup in that is does not feel connected to the road. Although the ride is nice. Power is not like it used to be. The turbo now does have a nice linear power delivery but it is not longer a zinger. Where in the world are all the great cubbies? The rear hatch now has two cut outs on either side. I would much prefer net or solid lower areas like before for storage. Front storage is not the same either. Larger console but no good place for my change like the 99 (by the left knee) and since I have the little blue tooth phone thing I do not have much storage in the center either.

Overall I really like it. I am already fixing the ride (swifts, bars and summer performance tires). Power is going to be "enhanced" very soon with a Cobb AP. Looks like torque is greatly improved and I think that in this car with the weight and Auto trans, will be a great improvement. Less gear hunting for one. Better cubbies I am not sure yet but I will work on that.

Protection items soon are full weathertech mats, rally armor flaps, Primitive under body treatment and I would like some kind of seat protection.

I will report back after I complete the first round of mods and drive it a bit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tires are starting to show some wear, and I am thinking of putting on a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred come September. Or maybe something cheaper if they are good in the snow and offer better dry/wet grip than the stock tires. Local tire shop is quoting me $190 per tire mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Getting close to 7,000 miles on my 4-month old FXT. We've taken trips to Yosemite and Disneyland!

Not much upgrades on my FXT:
- 2" Curt hitch for our bikes
- door sills
- Supertones still in a box
- Perrin rear sway bar still in a box

Lovin' every minute of it!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I haven't put enough miles on our specimen to make any judgments worthy of note that you couldn't find out on an extended test drive but the things I like are great traction, more than ample power, especially when compared with a non turbo 4 cylinder, great visibility, fun to drive and handles great compared to a full sized SUV like a Tahoe which is what we downsized from.

Things I don't like are the non power passenger seat, something maybe I will remedy eventually, not enough storage space compared to a full sized SUV which was to be expected and finally, the only problem we have had is the fuel lever cap comes off even after they changed it out so I think we have a bad metal lever or at least one that is far enough out of spec that the plastic piece won't stay on.

No mods and probably not for some time and as far as liking it, I loved it just reading about it because I am a fan of the power train but my wife had to "bond" with it because she really loved the Tahoe and when we first got it, she begrudgingly "settled" for it, mainly based upon my advice of getting her into an AWD SUV that got better mileage but now, holy crap, I find I have a gear head on my hands and she throws that bad boy into boost all the time and drives much more confidently than before so she is a Subaru convert to be sure.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No mods and probably not for some time and as far as liking it, I loved it just reading about it because I am a fan of the power train but my wife had to "bond" with it because she really loved the Tahoe and when we first got it, she begrudgingly "settled" for it, mainly based upon my advice of getting her into an AWD SUV that got better mileage but now, holy crap, I find I have a gear head on my hands and she throws that bad boy into boost all the time and drives much more confidently than before so she is a Subaru convert to be sure.
Put on a sport exhaust, sways, and better tires. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Sport exhaust, sways, and better tires. :biggrin:
That looks like a lot of fun to be sure and certainly something I have considered, but right now we are in the process of moving so our money is going toward that instead but I do see mods in our future. :biggrin:

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
I love my SH Fozz it makes me rub my nipples, lol. 37K and several trips from CA to CO. Stage 2 with STi suspension. I've always owned Subies but for some reason the Fozz takes the cake. I had a 06 STi for the longest time and it never got the amount of attention that my Fozz gets from strangers. I can't wait to see what she'll become.

Hail Storm in WY

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I couldnt be happier with my FXT.

It has about 49,000 km. My mileage is about 11 L/100km (we use the metric system in Canada and the rest of the world. Sorry USA :) )

I do not drive mine hard. I have a young family and do not need to risk an accident nor make my daught throw up because of the speeds I take mountain roads (it happended once and wife looked at me with COLD EYES).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks like a lot of fun to be sure and certainly something I have considered, but right now we are in the process of moving so our money is going toward that instead but I do see mods in our future. :biggrin:
I got the exhaust, and then bought a house, so all the modding ended right then and there.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love my SH Fozz it makes me rub my nipples, lol. 37K and several trips from CA to CO. Stage 2 with STi suspension. I've always owned Subies but for some reason the Fozz takes the cake. I had a 06 STi for the longest time and it never got the amount of attention that my Fozz gets from strangers. I can't wait to see what she'll become.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/RAPTR13/Forester XT/DSC01339.jpg

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/RAPTR13/Forester XT/DSC01342.jpg
Awesome looking Forester!!!

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Raptr that looks great. Is that an 08STI suspension?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Since we have only had ours for 2 months, I probably shouldn't participate. But, I have to tell how much I love this car, or I'll bust! :icon_biggrin:

Wife and I have the same car except, mine came with auto dim compass mirror. We each have a little over 1k miles. Mileage on my FXT has been reading 16.2. However, that's because I live 3 miles from work and haven't driven any long distances. The day before yesterday, I drove to my in-laws about 25 miles away, and the MPG went to 19.8.

I Love the size, the look, the Platinum interior color, the motor and the the fact that we don't see very many.

I think that my wife is more enamored than I am. She doesn't care about mods, although, she did want the body side molding and sunroof tint.

Upgrades:

bodyside molding
ipod interface
polk speakers front and rear
RAAMmat/Ensolite all 4 doors
tinted sunroof

I think my only complaint "was" the sound from the Navigation HU, but with the Polks installed that has changed (I still need a subwoofer though).

Possible future mods:

sway bar
HID
subwoofer/amp

1 - 20 of 76 Posts