Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post here as I am new to owning a Forester. I’ve owned my XT for about three weeks now, and the engine was completely stock when I bought it. It ran perfectly, had no issues either in regular or sport mode. As I’m sure most of us do, I wanted to make a little more power so I did the following mods all at the same time:

Moshimoto CAI
Aftermarket downpipe
Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust
Cobb Accessport (stage 2 + SF)

Once I got it all installed I took it for a drive, and within a few minutes I got a CEL, traction control light came on, and the flashing cruise control light. I also noticed around the same time that the car felt much stronger under WOT up until around 4K RPM’s, then it would lose a ton of power. As the RPM’s would slowly increase, there would be a faint lugging feeling, and the transmission would not shift out of gear unless I let off of the pedal. It did this in regular and sport mode, and in any gear.

When I got home I read the codes, and it was a p1718 and a P600. I looked all over for answers on how to fix them, and there didn’t seem to be any one specific thing that would cause them but a number of things that could be the reason. I tried unplugging the negative battery terminal overnight but it didn’t do anything, and I uninstalled and reinstalled my map with no luck either. So I took the car in to a local shop, and $300 later they told me they had it fixed, that all that happened when installing the stage 2 map the TCU somehow lost connection to the ECU, and it couldn’t regain the connection. So they were able to clear it and get everything back to normal. I asked if it was driving fine and the guy said that he didn’t get a chance to drive it far, but what driving he did it felt fine.

Fast forward to the drive home, and the car still is driving like crap and had all the same symptoms, the CEL just isn’t on anymore. I’m curious if anyone has run into anything like this before, and if they have any idea what it could possibly be? Checking the gauges on my AP, my stock turbo has gone as high as almost 22 psi a few times, and I’m not sure if that’s normal or not either.. Sorry for the long winded post, I have a habit of over explaining things when I write. And thank you all for your help in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone is interested, the problem seemed to be a couple of things. First, the AP lost connection to the ECU while installing the map. The shop installed the stock map and then reinstalled the stage 2 +SF map. When I started it up to leave(at 5:59 Friday afternoon, the close st 6) the codes were all gone and car idled smoothly. But upon hard acceleration the loss of power and inability to shift were still there. On Monday I drove the car to work making sure to baby it the whole way(and averaged 14 mpg on the highway). Called Simple Performance in Salt Lake City, UT and he recommend I install stage 2 without the SF, and to even go online and get the low wastegate one. Well I didn’t have a computer at work that I could use to install/download anything so I just put stage 2 map on, and all problems were solved. Still pushing a little too much boost, but the car runs great. Hopefully no one else runs into this issue!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,720 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts